2013 Mustang GT Unmarked Police

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Looks nice, no split fail. I only things I would do would get of the center deck light at the top on the window and switch out the 2 LAWs with colored ones in the grille.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I think I would move the deck bar to the roof, the two head to the front dash, and also use colored heads in the grill.

Oh, and got to love drug seizures :)

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
That looks nice, I would add a dash light to the front as well and swap the bar and deck light in the back and put the deck light up against the window.

opskmallory

Jun 14, 2010
Utah
I have to go change my pants. Thanks.

I think the all white looks good in the grille. Unless you switched all the lights to colored, something would end up getting washed out. As it is, it ought to be visible from a long ways away, making it a suitable alternative to an HLF.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
opskmallory said:
I have to go change my pants. Thanks.

I think the all white looks good in the grille. Unless you switched all the lights to colored, something would end up getting washed out. As it is, it ought to be visible from a long ways away, making it a suitable alternative to an HLF.

Agreed.

As long as there is some blue elsewhere (dash, mirrors), white in grille iskinda cool and different.

JediTalen

Jun 19, 2011
Bummertown, WA
I think the only real change I would make is on the windshield flashers, I would re-arrange the lights so the colors flash red-blue alternating on both sides rather than the purple haze effect of having the red and blue flash at the same time. I would also get rid of the white flashers to the rear, or switch them to amber.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
JediTalen said:
I think the only real change I would make is on the windshield flashers, I would re-arrange the lights so the colors flash red-blue alternating on both sides rather than the purple haze effect of having the red and blue flash at the same time. I would also get rid of the white flashers to the rear, or switch them to amber.[/quote

You can't switch the rear whites to amber. They are the oem led reverse lights being flashed...

opskmallory

Jun 14, 2010
Utah
kenton1979 said:
I would like to add that her in Indiana we almost always flash white to front and rear. Its something that is done by all walks of LE throughout the state.

Nothing wrong with that at all. White to the rear is very attention getting.

On a side note, I hate amber anywhere on an LE vehicle, unless it is an in-use dedicated traffic arrow. If it's not left, right or center out, needs to be red and/or blue (depending on region). Save amber for construction, tow, and maintenance vehicles. But that's just me.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
How about changing those rear LEDs on the LP bracket to a horizontal orientation?

mandarin77

May 25, 2012
USA
lafd55 said:
Looks nice, no split fail. I only things I would do would get of the center deck light at the top on the window and switch out the 2 LAWs with colored ones in the grille.

Most of our units have 'wig wag' high beam headlights. This Mustang has HID projector headlights and high-beams. It is not recommended 'in my opinion' to attempt to wig wag a $140 headlight bulb, which (besides probably being high voltage) would likely cause the bulb life to decrease unacceptably. I didn't feel like risking it this time.

Therefore, I had to come up with a suitable replacement for a 'wig wag' high-beam using only the equipment on hand. This is the best I could do without getting overly complicated. We only had one set of white pop-ins, so the next few will only have 'wig wag' foglights, which are not very effective (compared to high-beams).

It is likely that colored pop-in bulbs WILL end up in these cars over time ('cause nothing is ever enough), but there are no grille lights in our previous Mustangs, so none will initially make it into this batch.

mandarave

mandarin77

May 25, 2012
USA
RL1 said:
I think I would move the deck bar to the roof, the two head to the front dash, and also use colored heads in the grill.

Oh, and got to love drug seizures :)

Well - for one - this is not a drug seizure (it might give you seizures, though), this is a newly purchased vehicle by the department.

Also, moving the deck bar to the roof would cause passengers to hit their heads on it. Currently with the single light head on the center of the roof, the back seat is still usable and as comfortable as it comes from Ford. I initially had two separate lights on each side of the top rear window (and liked it better, appearance-wise) but you hit your head on them when seated in the back seat. The single lighthead also saved $30 and gives off the same amount of light.

As for moving the 'two head' to the front, I have another Mustang I just finished up with two of them in the front window as visor lights (instead of the visor light in this install). They are much brighter, and I like them better. Red and Blue on each side.

Search youtube for 'mandarave' and some key words for the video. It should be up by Monday 28th, or shortly there-after.

mandarave

mandarin77

May 25, 2012
USA
Storm4200 said:
How about changing those rear LEDs on the LP bracket to a horizontal orientation?

This is the only bracket we have. A horizontal bracket is available, but I don't really like the finished product.

Personal preference.

mandarave

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
mandarin77 said:
This is the only bracket we have. A horizontal bracket is available, but I don't really like the finished product.
Personal preference.

mandarave

You can make a bracket for less than $5.00. No paint is needed because none of the bracket is visible...no holes to the vehicle as well...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
A little low on intersection coverage, but a solid install. No purple blobs here!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
911 said:
the nypd has used white to the rear for years with no problems....

i think these installs look sharp !

Let's not start a white to the rear debate... or use one specific agency doing something as an argument as to it's effectiveness. Every study and standard about the subject says it is distracting... many people do it anyway, lets move on.

Drewstang

May 25, 2010
Louisville, KY
These are for Indiana State Police. I'm not sure why everything was blocked out when the media will be all over these when they are issued like last time.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
NFD-102 said:
The rear flasher looks really cool with the white. White to the back though is a major :nono:

it is not a major no no

i almost wanna puke everytime i read this

Here in Indiana we do white to the rear a ton.

The license plate lights are mismatched, one whelen tir3 and one federal impaxx. Someone in logistics ordered these and I was told that the vendor shipped all the blues as fed signal. I am not sure I believe it wasn't an error from my agency though based on other examples.

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
These cars look sweet when on a traffic stop, But I still like the Indiana State Police White Dodge Ram that is set up like a DOT truck.

firetek said:
How was the equipment mounted inside? There isn't much room for radios, lighting/siren and laptop in a mustang.

The radio is inside the center armrest. Whelen Handheld hss2200 light and siren controller, smaller sized laptop on pass seat mounting bracket. Its pretty tight on the passengers side but the drivers side isnt bad.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.