2013 Silverado advise

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
Hi guys new to the forum and hope to learn a lot I am setting up a pov for my FD and need your advise. We can run red/white lights here and that is what I am looking to run. I have the following already bought.

Wheelen siren and speaker, Wheelen traffic advisor, Wheelen ULF 44, and Wheelen 6 switch box.

My set up I am thinking about is 

Front Wheelen Icon two red units on the outside section of the grill and two white on the inside. The white would be attached to the ULF 44 to act as takedowns also.

Sides would be CPS Authority T4 in split red/white run above the running boards.

Back would be CPS Authority T3 on the sides of the license plate and a CPS Authority Phaser in the back window to act as lights and traffic advisor.

Does that sound good? Also what is a good visor mounted inner light bar for the front that won't cost me over $400 or so?

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
I think your auto-correct bested you, its Whelen, not Wheelen

now that I got that out of the way :haha:

check out AWLs venom or the Feniex Cobra interior bars from FEVERINC. Or watch the classifieds here.

Dual Color Apollos from FEVERINC on a LP bracket for the rear, Whelen M7s for the front

Stay away from CPS authority. Use the search function, theres a thread or two on here in regards to them. Simple google search too.

Check those two sites: FeverInc and advancedwarninglights.com ; much better options with unbeatable prices and both are valued members here

Last edited by a moderator:

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Definitely go with the M7 for the grill. I have the same body style silverado that I have been running M7s for a couple years and love it

Reactions: Phoenix_Rising

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Ok cool I will stay away from CPS then what about the AWL Venom??

Also how did you install the M7 on the grill?
Venom or the Feniex Cobra.

I used an L bracket and mounted it to the top of the grill in the plastic. They hang down to the perfect height to show thru the top section. I am in the process of switching to a new truck so I might be able to get pictures then.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
www.advancedwarninglights.com

you can see the Venom for yourself

the Feniex Cobra from

www.FEVERINC.net

is a little higher than your budget price, however not by much.

Both are solid ILB's IMHO

Reactions: paff2

CEVS

Jun 1, 2010
NJ
I would go with some Feniex equipment.  

Front

a pair of Apollo F6's or 4 T3's in the grill, double stacked t6's if you're looking for a large lighthead.

Cobra interior bar

Additional set of Apollo or Cobras for intersection warning either on a LP bracket or on the body

Rear

You said you have a traffic advisor but then talk about getting a cps TA?

A cobra 600 or 800 in the rear window

A pair of T3's on a License plate bracket

Cannon's in place of the reverse lights

Side

I would try to get a light up high before putting any at the running board level, if you have a toolbox the side of that is a common spot as is the side window of a rear door.  After that if you wanted step lights I would just toss T3's down there.  

Reactions: Sparky_911

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Texas Transportation Code §547.305, says VFF's can use red, blue, and white on their POV's, why do you think you are  limited to red and white?

And if you have yet to purchase lights, look at Fenix,  great products for great prices.

May 20, 2010
Mission, Texas RGV
Texas Transportation Code §547.305, says VFF's can use red, blue, and white on their POV's, why do you think you are  limited to red and white?

And if you have yet to purchase lights, look at Fenix,  great products for great prices.
well technical that's not correct 

Sec. 547.702. ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLES

(e) A private vehicle operated by a volunteer firefighter responding to a fire alarm or a medical emergency may be equipped with a signal lamp that is temporarily attached to the vehicle roof and flashes a red light visible at a distance of at least 500 feet in normal sunlight.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Reference to your last post....I think that is meant as a bare minimum requirement for a responders vehicle. Check out Station 3's ride. He's also LEO but in his F/E capacity he runs everything but green and purple.

If you are on a budget go Feniex all the way.  Did a few installs for dept. members using 2 T6 grilles, a Cobra 2x in the front window and a pair of cannons out back.   Stealthy and extremely effective. Plus it cost under 400 for the equipment. You can always upgrade things as time/money allow.

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
I am buying a little as I go I just want good stuff that I wont have to replace in a year and that isn't too too expensive. Also would you guys run red/white or just red all around and why?

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
R/W to front

R/A for the sides and rear

OR have white to the rear BUT disable it @ night

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
well technical that's not correct 

Sec. 547.702. ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLES

(e) A private vehicle operated by a volunteer firefighter responding to a fire alarm or a medical emergency may be equipped with a signal lamp that is temporarily attached to the vehicle roof and flashes a red light visible at a distance of at least 500 feet in normal sunlight.
That is the direct code for establishing a VFF POV as an emergency vehicle.  It is also an original code from the days when VFFs could not have sirens on their POVs.  When the Trans. code was updated, it gave VFD POVs full emergency vehicle privilages, including sirens and blue/clear light use.  This was done for liability concerns, after a few crashes involving POVs otherwise lawfully responding with red lights and no siren.  Of course we still have a bunch of elder VFFs who still roll under the original 'no siren, only red' way of thinking.  Mainly due to the cost of the siren and speaker.  Now if you want to get technical, blue and clear flashing lights on lawn care, tow trucks, and security vehicles, is illegal, though in heavy use State wide. 

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
I am new to this from my research it looks like I need to run everything through a seperate fuse box and then to the switch box correct? Do I need a thermal breaker in there also, if so  is 50 AMP good?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Each light (or pair of lights if wired together) should have its own fuse.  I usually do an inline fuse for each area (30amp for my LED bar, 5amp for LED grilles, 15amp for strobe intersections, 5amp for rear HAWs).  That way if something pops you only lose that piece of your warning package.  Generally if you're running all LED its not as big of a deal because they draw way less amperage.  So yes you could do a fuse block and run each light off that or use a switch box that has a fuse for each switch...like so

20150623_100031.jpg

20150623_100046.jpg

For a ground up install I would recommend getting a car stereo amplifier wiring kit (bout 20 bucks from Autozone, Wallyworld, etc.) . Has everything you need to get started, heavy gauge wire, 50amp fuse and holder, ground wire, etc.  Run the 8 gauge from the + on your battery to the 50amp fuse then to the fused switch box/panel and separate it out from there.  If you're doing LED only that should be more than enough.   

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
ok good I have the same box that you posted so that is good to know. I also have a roll of 14 gauge speaker wire I can use that for a power wire also for the lights correct?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Hi guys new to the forum and hope to learn a lot I am setting up a pov for my FD and need your advise. We can run red/white lights here and that is what I am looking to run. I have the following already bought.

Wheelen siren and speaker, Wheelen traffic advisor, Wheelen ULF 44, and Wheelen 6 switch box.

My set up I am thinking about is

Front Wheelen Icon two red units on the outside section of the grill and two white on the inside. The white would be attached to the ULF 44 to act as takedowns also.

Sides would be CPS Authority T4 in split red/white run above the running boards.

Back would be CPS Authority T3 on the sides of the license plate and a CPS Authority Phaser in the back window to act as lights and traffic advisor.

Does that sound good? Also what is a good visor mounted inner light bar for the front that won't cost me over $400 or so?
I'd keep it super basic for a start while you're on a budget:
--HLF

--Pair of M7's mounted in front of the grill (forget the 4 ions in the grill and go with 2 larger grill lights. Also I wouldn't worry about TDs right now while you're starting off; I don't know too many vollies that have a truly critical need for TDs on their POVs, so if you really need something quick, use your high beams until you can get a full size ILB with TDs!)

--Solid Red Dash Light Whelen Avenger (you could get one with TDs or clear flood) or a FedSig Dual Viper

--TLF

--TA that you already own, or you can sell it and get a duo color SNM E66 lightstick (flashes red/blue and has Amber TA override) on rear headliner

--SOS intersectors under the mirrors

I wouldn't worry about LAWs (LED hideaways) or running board lights while you're starting off b/c you should focus on covering your bases for primary warning when you have a limited budget....solid color, large grill lights and a quality dash light can be the backbone of a basic setup. A minibar on the roof is an inexpensive way to start off with basic 360 warning until you can add on more perimeter warning for a slicktop setup. I don't recommend any split color lightheads and CPS is not a good idea. If you can't afford Whelen or Federal Signal, SNM (Strobes N More) and AWL (Advanced Warning Lights) are 2 economical series of quality lights. As your money comes along, you can upgrade to a higher quality interior lightbar, and then add lights by the rear LP, running boards, etc

I don't believe that the ULF44 has the capability to have clear ions go steadyburn override...if you want that, then you'd need something like a duo color nForce or ion, or a V-series Whelen light.

Jun 24, 2015
Andrews TX
I have re thought out what I am going to do I am going to go with a Feniex Apollo ILB in the front Duel color so I can have all the lights for takedowns I want that function not necessarily for the FD but for personal use the grill lights I am still debating. I like the M7 but only if I can find them used if not I am still leaning towards Whelen Ion or Feiniex Cobra T6. Sides I am thinking Feniex Apollo F6 and the Rear license plate mounted T3 with a Dual color lightbar in the back window that I can use as a TA and emergency light something dual color red with amber override for the TA what do you all think about that?? I will get the ILB first and work on the rest as I get the funds.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I have re thought out what I am going to do I am going to go with a Feniex Apollo ILB in the front Duel color so I can have all the lights for takedowns I want that function not necessarily for the FD but for personal use the grill lights I am still debating. I like the M7 but only if I can find them used if not I am still leaning towards Whelen Ion or Feiniex Cobra T6. Sides I am thinking Feniex Apollo F6 and the Rear license plate mounted T3 with a Dual color lightbar in the back window that I can use as a TA and emergency light something dual color red with amber override for the TA what do you all think about that?? I will get the ILB first and work on the rest as I get the funds.
There is NO DOUBT that the M7's are worth the wait! Hold off a little bit until you save enough for the M7's b/c they'll blow the ions & T6 out of the water.

SNM E66 is a great value lightstick that flashes red with Amber TA override.

For the rear, you could get AWL SMT6 lightheads for the rear for only a few bucks more than the T3 lighthead for the rear LP

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Pair of steady burn M7s just posted in the for sale section.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.