2013 Taurus: Added GRILL lights 01/26/14

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Looks good. Has that 4DSC (4 door sports car) look. I'd give it a second glance on the road, because it looks good, but it does not look like a cop car. Great job. I did something like that with my Bonneville, plasti diped the wheels and most of the chrome trim to give it a bit more aggressive look.

I really like the new Taurus, both retail and PPV. The retail version sells enough that it is a common vehicle on the road. The Crown Vic was not a big retail car, so odds were good that it was either a LE or a poser/wannabe. The Impala, Charger, and Tahoe are also common enough in retail use that an unmarked LE vehicle draws little attention.

Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
HILO said:
The retail version sells enough that it is a common vehicle on the road. The Crown Vic was not a big retail car, so odds were good that it was either a LE or a poser/wannabe. The Impala, Charger, and Tahoe are also common enough in retail use that an unmarked LE vehicle draws little attention.

This.

Makes it so difficult for speeders on the road nowadays. One of my friends was lamenting to me the other day about how he got a ticket because he tried to race an undercover charger, not realizing it was a cop.

(He's not the sharpest tool in the shed..)

Point is, they blend in a lot better nowadays, you can't tell if they're a civilian car or police undercover.

FireMedic19

May 8, 2012
Vermilion, Ohio
jcpse said:
replaced the stock grill with the PI grill, and blacked out the wheels. I like how it turned out for now.

Here are the before and after pics:

Quick somewhat off topic question, What did you do to black out those wheels? Looks awesome

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Ya, I really am going for the custom look, not the police look. Even with a full inneredge in the back window (no tint), people have no reserve passing me on the highways or tailgating. Fine by me, I'll just slam on my brakes and hope their insurance deductible is as high as possible for being an a**hole. Mine is zero!

JK....the Christmas.... oh...sorry.... "HOLIDAY" shoppers have me at wit's end on the roads this weekend haha.

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.

FireMedic19 said:
Quick somewhat off topic question, What did you do to black out those wheels? Looks awesome

Just matte black plasti dip (made by performix). I bought mine off DipYourCar.com , but I'm pretty sure it can be bought from many retail chains as well.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I used Anthracite Grey Metallic from DYC just to be different. Best price is from dipyourcar.com, plus they have the color choices...

One thing you must do to your Bull. I have been long hoping that someone with a car that has factory LED turn signals in the mirrors would put a flasher on them. Your Taurus has the LED supplemental parking lamps. They need a flasher!

DOITNOW.jpg[h=2][/h]

Nov 7, 2011
New England
HILO said:
I have been long hoping that someone with a car that has factory LED turn signals in the mirrors would put a flasher on them. Your Taurus has the LED supplemental parking lamps. They need a flasher!

Negative, the car does not have LED turn signals in the mirrors. Only LED lighting is the LED "fog" accent lights, as well as the tail lights and rear turn signals. And It would make the computer go crazy if I tried to flash that.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
jcpse said:
Negative, the car does not have LED turn signals in the mirrors. Only LED lighting is the LED "fog" accent lights, as well as the tail lights and rear turn signals. And It would make the computer go crazy if I tried to flash that.

I know the Taurus does not have LED turn signals in the mirrors. I think I lost a sentence in the original post. The point I was trying to make is someone that has a factory feature like the mirrors, or in your case, the supplemental LED parking lights (thats what Ford calls them). There has got to be a way to make them flash. If people could figure out how the carnival ride the tail lights on the current Charger, can not be that hard to flash the Ford parking lights. Just sayin!

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
I don't think Ford has ever built a Taurus that has ever looked aggressive or mean, but it certainly does look more official like, and I like it. Wow did I just say that about a Taurus!?

Nov 7, 2011
New England
HILO said:
I know the Taurus does not have LED turn signals in the mirrors. I think I lost a sentence in the original post. The point I was trying to make is someone that has a factory feature like the mirrors, or in your case, the supplemental LED parking lights (thats what Ford calls them). There has got to be a way to make them flash. If people could figure out how the carnival ride the tail lights on the current Charger, can not be that hard to flash the Ford parking lights. Just sayin!

But dodge also has a police package charger with LED tail lights. The '13 Ford PI however has halogen tail/turn lamps. So ford is clearly trying to avoid flashing LED tail lamps in the rear for now.

and for the white accent lights... In all honesty in regards to actual illumination, i don't think it'd be worth the trouble of flashing them just "because." Its a safe bet to say HG2s are far more effective than that weak little LED.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 7, 2011
New England
Hey everybody, I made a couple additions to my 13 taurus. I swapped out the 2 red avengers up front with a soundoff Pinnacle interior lightbar (red w/white takedowns.)

Also added a federal signal Unitrol 80k remote amp and soundoff 100w speaker for siren ability.

2 switches hidden away in close-able compartment. (Also, like my custom carbon fiber? :) ) 1 does all lights, the other is a SPDT for wail/yelp on siren.

Still a very simple setup. Sorry pics and video are not very clear. My phone's been odd lately.

Enjoy.

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

44.jpg

55.jpg

VII

Mar 28, 2013
MN
jcpse said:
Hey everybody, I made a couple additions to my 13 taurus. I swapped out the 2 red avengers up front with a soundoff Pinnacle interior lightbar (red w/white takedowns.)

Also added a federal signal Unitrol 80k remote amp and soundoff 100w speaker for siren ability.

2 switches hidden away in close-able compartment. (Also, like my custom carbon fiber? :) ) 1 does all lights, the other is a SPDT for wail/yelp on siren.

Still a very simple setup. Sorry pics and video are not very clear. My phone's been odd lately.

Enjoy.
Looks really good. The little details really add a lot, and I've always been a fan of the pinnacles. They've updated a lot and it shows.

jcpse said:

We've flashed the civilian models tail lights/fog accents and have had them on the road for about 3 years without complaints. (The department ordered civilian Taurus' for their detective fleet vs the street package Interceptor.

I didn't go as far as splitting the circuit with a N/O relay, all I did was add a diode inline with the wiring.

For the record, the flashers we used were the Soundoff ETFBSSN-P

They look great!

Let me know if you would like a diagram to do this, and the trunk lid lighting as well. :thumbsup:

Nov 7, 2011
New England
VII said:
Looks really good. The little details really add a lot, and I've always been a fan of the pinnacles. They've updated a lot and it shows.

We've flashed the civilian models tail lights/fog accents and have had them on the road for about 3 years without complaints. (The department ordered civilian Taurus' for their detective fleet vs the street package Interceptor.

I didn't go as far as splitting the circuit with a N/O relay, all I did was add a diode inline with the wiring.

For the record, the flashers we used were the Soundoff ETFBSSN-P

They look great!

Let me know if you would like a diagram to do this, and the trunk lid lighting as well. :thumbsup:

really? I just may take you up on that.... :undecided:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks great, but I'm still waiting for some nice grill lights!!!

One thing I'd like to see is the addition of some rear LP lights (I think that the Taurus/interceptor trunk is so damn big now that it's a good idea to have something lower to compliment rear deck lighting). Also, any plans to get one of those special HLFs for the new interceptors (I'm guessing they'll work with the civi Taurus equally) or recycle the Code3 LAWs?

Nov 7, 2011
New England
pdk9 said:
Looks great, but I'm still waiting for some nice grill lights!!!

One thing I'd like to see is the addition of some rear LP lights (I think that the Taurus/interceptor trunk is so damn big now that it's a good idea to have something lower to compliment rear deck lighting). Also, any plans to get one of those special HLFs for the new interceptors (I'm guessing they'll work with the civi Taurus equally) or recycle the Code3 LAWs?

I hardly EVER run lights in my car. I do not live in the town i work in, so I don't respond from home. So I can't justify the $200 for one of the shutter override HLFs.

Probably going to be putting a pair of T6s behind the grill on L brackets.

Hoping to put a TLF in the rear eventually. Not a fan of LP lights.

Thanks for your input!!

hoisy71

Sep 10, 2011
Baltimore, MD
jcpse said:
I hardly EVER run lights in my car. I do not live in the town i work in, so I don't respond from home. So I can't justify the $200 for one of the shutter override HLFs.

Probably going to be putting a pair of T6s behind the grill on L brackets.

Hoping to put a TLF in the rear eventually. Not a fan of LP lights.

Thanks for your input!!

Pretty sure I just mentioned the LP lights just the other day! Told you Jeremy! Now the pressure is on!!

Nov 7, 2011
New England
So I did end up adding grill lights to the car. I wanted to keep with a nice wide warning footprint as well as stick with the slick, low profile theme I've been inspired to do with this car.

I used 2 Feniex Cobra T-6s on factory L-brackets. It was a slight bit of a challenge, as there is a shutter system to increase efficiency behind the grill. So I had to work my way around the sensor for that. (see pics) I luckily was able to do a little bit of modification to the bracket to pull it off. I am pleased with the result. Makes a world of a difference. Part of me almost thinks the front is TOO bright now.... oh well, I don't really care!

Hope you like it!

P.S.- I did not add a video, as these are split R/W T6s and I don't want flash pattern criticisms. The pattern they have is effective and appropriate for my purposes.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
jcpse said:
So I did end up adding grill lights to the car. I wanted to keep with a nice wide warning footprint as well as stick with the slick, low profile theme I've been inspired to do with this car.

I used 2 Feniex Cobra T-6s on factory L-brackets. It was a slight bit of a challenge, as there is a shutter system to increase efficiency behind the grill. So I had to work my way around the sensor for that. (see pics) I luckily was able to do a little bit of modification to the bracket to pull it off. I am pleased with the result. Makes a world of a difference. Part of me almost thinks the front is TOO bright now.... oh well, I don't really care!

Hope you like it!

P.S.- I did not add a video, as these are split R/W T6s and I don't want flash pattern criticisms. The pattern they have is effective and appropriate for my purposes.

:hopeless:

Troop

Nov 14, 2013
East Coast
They look good from what I can tell. I, too, want a video! Who cares what other people think - it's your car, your decision!

Sep 9, 2015
Georgia
I'm attempting to share your install with a friend whom owns the same vehicle as you do but I can't seem to view your videos. They are set a private.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.