2014 Ford F-250 Crew Cab Suggestions

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
So looking for some ELB help on this one.

I have on order a brand new 2014 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 for my department. It's primary function will be EMS.

Important note, it will have a cap.

I don't have a huge budget but I'm not looking to do anything too crazy. Sometimes less is more.

Here are my thoughts.

Whelen Liberty Lighbar (I'm really leaning towards a freedom)

Two Whelen Red M4s in front grill

Whelen Red M2 on each fender for intersection warning.

Whelen 295SLA6 Siren/Light Controler

2- Federal Signal AS124 Speakers

Whelen 8 Head Dominator in rear.

HAW in reverse lights.

IONs on side

Havis 30" console.

Suggestions? Lighting specs need to be in by next Friday. I'm not trying to keep all the eggs in the whelen basket so all ideas are welcome.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
M6 for the grill. The bigger, the better.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
You may want to go with a shorter console if you are using the tunnel mount. I just put one in our 2012 super duty mini pumper. This allowed for room to mount portable radios and flashlights to the rear. I can take some photos if you would like.

As for the lighting, you could also put some m6 or m7 lights in the rear tailgate, they will be much better than the haws in the reverse lights. Also, they make speaker mounts for the front fog lights if you don't have them.

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
We have a slightly used ultra freedom 44 inch fully populated with the upgraded takedown and alley led kit. PM if you would like more info. Red front and corners and red amber rear.

Could also go with all Feniex products

- T6 dual

- T6

- Cobra 600 or 800

- cannons

- 4200 controller with siren kit

- Typhoon speaker

T6 and cannons will sync

PM for a price if interested

Last edited by a moderator:

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Lightbar:

SOS Pinnacle 54" with TDs and alleys, depopulated rear

Front:

Whelen M7 Red x2 - These fir perfectly in the '11+ Superduty grill

HLF

Intersection/Side:

SOS nForce Red or dual color R/W on front fender (a Whelen 500 series LIN6 fits nice here as well)

Whelen M7 red over rear wheel

Rear:

Feniex Cobra 800 all amber on the top of the camper shell

Whelen M7 Red x2 on the tailgate

Feniex Cannons x4 in the taillights synced in an x-pattern

Siren:

Whelen 295SLSA6

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
That 44" freedom just looks silly on top of that truck. Like a fat man wearing a tiny hat...

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
theroofable said:
You may want to go with a shorter console if you are using the tunnel mount. I just put one in our 2012 super duty mini pumper. This allowed for room to mount portable radios and flashlights to the rear. I can take some photos if you would like.

As for the lighting, you could also put some m6 or m7 lights in the rear tailgate, they will be much better than the haws in the reverse lights. Also, they make speaker mounts for the front fog lights if you don't have them.

I would love to see pictures. I will be mounting two portable radio chargers.

I like the idea of the m6 on the tailgate. Good suggestion.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
We have a slightly used ultra freedom 44 inch fully populated with the upgraded takedown and alley led kit. PM if you would like more info. Red front and corners and red amber rear.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
gallagher073 said:
So looking for some ELB help on this one.

I have on order a brand new 2014 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 for my department. It's primary function will be EMS.

Important note, it will have a cap.

I don't have a huge budget but I'm not looking to do anything too crazy. Sometimes less is more.

Here are my thoughts.

Whelen Liberty Lighbar (I'm really leaning towards a freedom)

Two Whelen Red M4s in front grill

Whelen Red M2 on each fender for intersection warning.

Whelen 295SLA6 Siren/Light Controler

2- Federal Signal AS124 Speakers

Whelen 8 Head Dominator in rear.

HAW in reverse lights.

IONs on side

Havis 30" console.

Suggestions? Lighting specs need to be in by next Friday. I'm not trying to keep all the eggs in the whelen basket so all ideas are welcome.

Sounds good so far. A few thoughts/suggestions:

--save your money & do not populate the rear of the liberty, b/c the length of the pickup cap & the dominator to the rear will block it. 2 other economical options for lightbars are the FedSig Legend LPX, tomar scorpion (depop. rear), & the SOS Pinnacle EPL 9000. I'd recommend a linz6 dominator mounted on top of the cap

--measure out the place where you want to put the fender lights b/c the newer F-series don't leave much room for intersection lights (even a 500 series is pushing it, in terms of space), unless you have a PB to mount on. I'm all for large lightheads on a truck but just keep the fender spacing in the back of your mind, b/c the wheel well trim takes up a lot of space

--replace the grill lights with 2 solid color M6's

--instead of ions on the side, but a solid color M4 or Lin6 on each side of the pickup bed (just above the rear wheel well) & sync it with whatever light u decide on or intersection

--don't waste your money on LAWs when you have a limited budget; focus first on surface mount lights & a solid lightbar. Generally, people also look at HLFs and TLFs as economical alternatives to LAWs & HAWs (on HLF/TLF-compatible vehicles)

--mount a pair of solid color M6 on the exterior of the rear lift gate...a pair of M6 (1 red, 1 amber on a wigwag flash pattern) and the dominator up top will provide a solid, basic rear warning package

--NFPA yellow/red chevrons on the liftgate!

Overall, go with fast flash patterns up front & slower flash patterns to the rear

Kd8bao

Mar 8, 2012
Independence, Ohio
Kd8bao said:

Another alternative would be the Avatar 57"and de-populate the rear and it will take a couple hundred off the price

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
pdk9 said:
Sounds good so far. A few thoughts/suggestions:
--save your money & do not populate the rear of the liberty, b/c the length of the pickup cap & the dominator to the rear will block it. 2 other economical options for lightbars are the FedSig Legend LPX, tomar scorpion (depop. rear), & the SOS Pinnacle EPL 9000. I'd recommend a linz6 dominator mounted on top of the cap

--measure out the place where you want to put the fender lights b/c the newer F-series don't leave much room for intersection lights (even a 500 series is pushing it, in terms of space), unless you have a PB to mount on. I'm all for large lightheads on a truck but just keep the fender spacing in the back of your mind, b/c the wheel well trim takes up a lot of space

--replace the grill lights with 2 solid color M6's

--instead of ions on the side, but a solid color M4 or Lin6 on each side of the pickup bed (just above the rear wheel well) & sync it with whatever light u decide on or intersection

--don't waste your money on LAWs when you have a limited budget; focus first on surface mount lights & a solid lightbar. Generally, people also look at HLFs and TLFs as economical alternatives to LAWs & HAWs (on HLF/TLF-compatible vehicles)

--mount a pair of solid color M6 on the exterior of the rear lift gate...a pair of M6 (1 red, 1 amber on a wigwag flash pattern) and the dominator up top will provide a solid, basic rear warning package

--NFPA yellow/red chevrons on the liftgate!

Overall, go with fast flash patterns up front & slower flash patterns to the rear

Your suggestions are well received, thank you for your input. I definitely appreciate your feedback and advice.

I don't have a limited budget but I certainly cannot go batmobile cajunblitz style on this one. (As much as I would love to Cajun) :hail:

I'm thinking our best bet for intersection warning is going to be a Setina PB-400 and mount two M4's to that.

Connecticut requires EMS vehicles to exclusively flash red to the rear. I know it stupid, but if I want to get the vehicle certified for EMS response I need to play by the rules. I could always make it an "administrative" vehicle but I don't like operating in grey areas just to accommodate lighting color configurations. Connecticut is not exactly a EMS friendly state but this is what I have to work with.

I like the idea of mixing some Feniex into the equation, I suppose I need some more time to think. I've always been a Tomar fan, anyone have any tomar suggestions?

I'm very indecisive when it comes to lighting. :crazy: :crazy:

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
The reverse light housings on the SD's are tiny. On mine, I couldn't figure enough space to safely insert any of the LAWs that I have on hand alongside the incandescent bulb. So I used the Fenix Cannons split mode to replace the incandescent; white on steady burn for reverse, and (in my case) amber flashing. The white steady burn takes precedence when shifting into reverse. I am very pleased with the results, especially the improved white lighting for reverse.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.