2014 Ram 1500 & Whelen Halo?

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Good morning.

I realize I would need to cut and splice factory wiring to install the Whelen HALO rear system, but my question is this. Would the bulb physically fit into the housing without any modification to the housing? Would the bulb be a direct fit?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Whats the model # of the taillight bulb for your truck?

(and don't listen to the lazy guy who posted directly above me) :thumbsup:

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I modified a pair of halos for the front turn signals in my Tahoe. Had to shave the halo bulbs to make them fit. It did finally work, although I honk you'd be better off using feniex cannons... Way brighter, and I believe there coming out with a 3rd mode trigger wire so you can do the same thing as the halos...

Good luck,

Seth

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
C17LVFD said:
I modified a pair of halos for the front turn signals in my Tahoe. Had to shave the halo bulbs to make them fit. It did finally work, although I honk you'd be better off using feniex cannons... Way brighter, and I believe there coming out with a 3rd mode trigger wire so you can do the same thing as the halos...

Good luck,

Seth

:haha:

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Yea. I have been looking for the HALO for awhile and as many know they are hard to come by. I got a lead on one and am contemplating one pulling the trigger on them. It would be a lot of work to install the HALO that would require me to extend all the cabling so I can put the controller in the cab of the truck.

I was waiting till the 3 mode cannons came out so I can put them in the front. So I may just wait and do the rear also with the cannons.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Halo would NOT be allot of work, save for the wiring modification. If your truck uses a 3157 bulb, its the same design that the HALO was built for. I should know, I put a 4 bulb HALO kit into my mustang. The only "difficulity" I had was I needed to kinda wiggle/move the halo bulb around to get it into the housing- kinda got to insert it on an angle. I had a set of CVPI taillights kicking around, had to do the same thing.

I thought i was going to have to modify the bulb itself, however I didn't need to.

Personally I think HALO is the way to go if you are looking for the brightest and most consistent light spread in the housing, I mean, the halo bulb goes right where the stock 3157 bulb would be- so the reflector is engineered to throw light centered from that location. Any other led hide a way isn't centered in this location. Plus with the HALO being DOT approved (only for the crown vic) I'd much rather totally replace my taillight with something that has some DOT approval, vs something that has 0 DOT approval if I'm going that route.

Thats just me tho. I'm darn happy with my kit, I just wish my new ride didn't have OEM LED Taillights.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Unlisted: thank you for your input. Glad to know it's the same style bulb and it would throw the light correctly in the housing. You have a good point about the DOT rating. At least it is rated.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Decisions. Decisions.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Just want to point out- its only DOT approved for certain years of the CVPI, no other vehicles. Just saying, if I was considering replacing my stock bulbs with some type of LED module, I'd want to use something with some dot appoval VS something with 0 DOT approval. (cause you know, litigation if theres an accident could be a B!tch..)

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Oh I totally understand it's only for certain model years of the CVPI. And I totally agree with you. Something is better than nothing.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
C17LVFD said:

Good luck,

Seth

Gotta love auto-correct!

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
The LED tail lights are an option on some models and come standard with others. It was an option for mine that I did not get.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
More than anything, I would be more worried about fast flash and error issues with the vehicle computer. When I installed a brake light flasher on a 2011 Caravan with factory LED tail lights, I had to get the dealer to reprogram the computer for turn signal flash rate. Cost $150 on a fleet account. I did not try any bypassing due to not wanting to void factory warranty. Because there is a factory LED tail light option, it should be an easy flash on the computer.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I think. (and this is a far back memory) someone who saw the patents and so forth for the HALO stated it had diodes built into to prevent codes being thrown up by a computer....

Again, I cannot confirm this, other than I never had a warning light on my mustang I installed my halo kit into, nor did I ever have the fast blink or any other issues going from normal bulb to HALO.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.