2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee PD Upfit

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Got asked to do an in-house up-fit on a recently purchased 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, so this will chronicle the build, and provide a place to ask some questions, since I'll have a bunch. I'm pretty good with automotive/light wiring, but this will be my first build/up-fit, so I'm a bit nervous.

The vehicle will initially be assigned to the Chief for the time being, but will be transferred to Patrol to be used for clandestine and/or travel operations after about a year. Small town Law Enforcement, but with long highway responses and a busy interstate as well. Lighting must be subdued, no FedSig Vision SLR's here. I considered other brands, but will be sticking with Sound-Off Signal. All of our new patrol vehicles use exclusively SOS, we're happy with them, and it'll be good to keep the consistency, reliability, and performance even if price is higher.

The Chief doesn't want a radio, just lights/siren, and wants to keep it as simple as possible from a control side. So no fancy BluePRINT system here. I am open to changes, if you have some suggestions feel free to chime in, I am considerably under budget here so I can add some where/if needed.

Simple Galls control box with a 3 position slide switch and 6 rockers (This is non-negotiable, as it's free/leftover)
nForce red/white and nForce blue/white dual dash light mounted top middle of windshield ($227)
nForce red/white and nForce blue/white modules mounted in the fog light or lower grill area ($212)
Intersection pod lights under mirrors (Red/white and blue/white) ($318)
nForce 8 module traffic adviser in rear window, setup CHP style (R R A A A A B B) ($498)
HLF and TLF (Headlight might be weird, as the car uses Bi-xenon projectors, so I'd be activating the high beam shutters and the headlight trigger for the HLF) ($98)
SOS 200 series siren/100N series speaker ($370)

Code 1: Windshield modules either flash or steady R/B, plus rear bar
Code 2: Full lighting, all modules dual color R/B/W synced and rear bar
Code 3: Code 2 plus siren
Rocker 1: Low cruise
Rocker 2: High cruise
Rocker 3: CDOT flash (Single module blue/amber slow flash on rear bar)
Rocker 4: Left arrow
Rocker 5: Right arrow
Rocker 6 Momentary: Airhorn
Rocker 6 Latch: ???

The downside of the simple controller is that the individual front/side modules are only able to steady burn either color or white, but I can't do both. So I have to choose, do I get cruise lights, or takedown and alley lights? The advantage of cruise is that on Code 1, I can have the front red/blues steady, which I am a huge fan of on stage 1, and I can also have a button for full cruise, which I'm also a huge fan of. The disadvantage is of course no takedown/alley function. Obviously I've got a bunch of extra rocker switch functions, the chief doesn't even care about the arrows, plus they'll look weird going from red to amber to blue, but I've got the room so why not?

Reactions: kadetklapp

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.