2015 Ram SSV

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
This is a 2015 Ram SSV we completed for Washington County Colorado SO this week. Simple but effective package.

I have to give a shout out to Ram Trucks, because this truck was one of the easiest trucks to work on. We just did a couple of new Silverados and we have done 20 or so 2015 f-150s and the Ram truck is far easier to tear down, get signal access from, and has better rear seat room, this truck really was a dream to work on and I believe departments really should give it a fair look.

It is also Hemi powered and very quick. Definitely faster than the Chevy, But probably not as fast as the Eco boost off the line (although it aint no slouch either). Still the sound of the hemi V8 is a lot of fun... 

Some things to note:

The total build time was around 14 hours. That includes harnesses, light mounting, bracket construction, etc.. This is 14 man hours as only 1 guy was assigned to this project. And that also included standard break times and lunch.

With the Ram SSV, with the VSIM option, the harness system is completey plug and play aside from the connection to the battery. We are able to get horn ring, ign sig, park sig, backlt sig, and a whole plethora of other signals from the VSIM. It even came with Factory wig wags and tail light flashers. (only issue is they require a low (ground) input to function so we had to relay our outputs to make them work). Not a big deal, as we build that into the harness.  The lights plug into the harness via Deutch connections, the signal wires plug into the vsim, and the fuse block and siren connections are built onto the harness in the harness room.

There is a drawer that pulls out on the center dash. It is a utility drawer but the radio head fit nicely there. I am pretty sure you could get a self contained unit in that area as well. You just got to be willing to cut up the drawer front. a new drawer is under $100 when you get ready to sell it.

Lighting:

Federal signal MPS620U-RB - grill lights, mirror lights and rear under tailgate - Awesome lights. Dual color, Dual input. We have a slower pattern on the front during "in park" and a faster pattern when in 3 and drive. The grill and mirrors are synced, and the rear is synced.

Federal Signal Hideaways in the front corners. We tried a Whelen Vertex, a Feniex cannon 120, a Cannon 360 and the Federal hideaways and the federals were the brightest in this area.

Federal Signal ES100C siren speaker - There is a noticeable difference using Federals speakers than anyone elses. I don't know how, but the federal speakers have a much better range and deeper tone than even the SA315. You really notice it with a smart siren and the lower tone air horn. We had one (ssp3000) hooked to a Kerr siren speaker (which i am sure is branded as KERR but comes from someone else) and it sounded really bad, so we traded to the ES100 and noticed a big difference in sound and volume. honestly if you have only ever heard sirens through a 314, 315 or other brand, you probably wouldn't notice, but we hear them everyday through the es100 and it is so much better sounding and is louder.

Feniex cannon 120 in reverse lights. We did NOT replace the reverse light bulb because the bulb comes from the bottom up in the housing and the cannon did not do very well in that position, so we burned a hole into the back of the backup light and put them in there.

Feniex Apollo F12 Visor bar: This visor bar was one of the best fitting bars I have seen. it is low profile, bright, and fits super snug against the windshield. We still add a d-bulb weather strip to the edge just to eliminate more flash back, but we do that with Every brands light bars and it helps tremendously. Oddly enough, the truck has changed body styles twice between 2003 and 2015, but the visor bar is the same bar for all years. I was skeptical that it would fit right when I saw it listed that way, but it fit awesome.

Feniex Cobra 800 stick in the rear window. We sucked it tight against the headliner and it looks great. super bright through the 20% tint, and great flash patterns. I am not sure any other stick would fit. The rear headrests barely clear this bar when you move the seat up and down. You would have to go either a shorter stick that would go between the headrests, or back the stick up. This one sits almost on the glass.

Whelen HHS2000 hand held. In my opinion nobody make a better handheld unit. we are a much bigger Federal Signal Shop, but the Whelen hand held is our go to unit when we have a handheld request.

We mounted the HHS2000 amp and our fuse block and relays behind the rear seat. There is still access to them but they are out of the way.

Enjoy!

Oh, and i am sure someone will want more side lighting, or bigger lights, or Blah blah blah.  We get it, trust me. If I had my way, there would be rocker panel lights, fender lights, rear side lights, overhead light bars,  etc... But sometimes the budget and the use just doesn't allow it.

honestly, if you don't see this truck coming down the road, your not going to see it with all those additions anyway.

2015-08-28 08.10.20.jpg

2015-08-28 08.11.34.jpg

2015-08-28 16.15.15.jpg

2015-08-28 16.15.29-2.jpg

2015-08-28 16.15.48.jpg

2015-08-28 16.15.58.jpg

2015-08-28 16.16.10.jpg

2015-08-28 09.38.47.jpg

2015-08-28 09.32.34.jpg

2015-08-28 09.31.46-1.jpg

2015-08-28 09.32.45.jpg

2015-08-28 16.14.58-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
The only complaint I have is that it isn't a Ford. Very, VERY nice setup and install job. It shows just how effective a proper sync job can be. Bravo!

Reactions: RecElect

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
Another awesome install. I'm not a big fan of duo Red/Blue micropulse ultras, I just don't see the advantage over single colour since the warning power is the same whether you flash Red on one side and blue on the other side of the grill vs flashing Red on both sides and then blue on both sides. The truck looks really nice though.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Looks fantastic.  Is this gonna be an unmarked admin unit?  I love the Rams b/c I think the Ram Box was a fantastic idea and b/c of the Hemi

The only thing I would do differently is change the pattern on the Apollo (entire driver side alternating with entire passenger side) and syncing the duo color impaxx, so that all 4 flash red, then all 4 flash blue (triple flash up front and single/slow alternating to the rear)

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
I wish I could ship our Tahoe to you guys! Great work as usual!

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
That looks really good! Clean, simple and effective.  I like it, I especially love the power call siren! :)   

If you're able to, could you post pics of the weather stripping you used and how you applied it.  I just put in a cobra ILB and need to get the flashback taken care of.  Looking for a simple, clean, effective way to take care of that.  Sounds like you have it down to a science!  

Reactions: Surgicalcric

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
That looks really good! Clean, simple and effective.  I like it, I especially love the power call siren! :)   

If you're able to, could you post pics of the weather stripping you used and how you applied it.  I just put in a cobra ILB and need to get the flashback taken care of.  Looking for a simple, clean, effective way to take care of that.  Sounds like you have it down to a science!  

I used a D rubber weather stip. Mcmaster-Carr part 93085k67.

We put it on the leading edge of the visor bar directly on top of Feniex's included u channel. The Feniex bars shape to the windshield very well so this d rubber system works really well. it you are using a universal bar, it will be a bit more challenging.

Tough to take a picture of, but hopefully you can see it. It is pressed tight against the windshield making it flat.

2015-08-31 06.54.26.jpg

2015-08-31 06.54.52.jpg

Reactions: bullfrog4ever

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Another awesome install. I'm not a big fan of duo Red/Blue micropulse ultras, I just don't see the advantage over single colour since the warning power is the same whether you flash Red on one side and blue on the other side of the grill vs flashing Red on both sides and then blue on both sides. The truck looks really nice though.

We like them because they are the same price single color or dual... So, more of a Why not. I also like doing them in a red/white, blue/white configuration to add some white light to the flashing, or use as additional take downs. We could have done RED/amber, Blue/amber to the rear and had a red/blue flash and an all amber flash.

we are working on an amber arrow override function using those modules...

Looks fantastic.  Is this gonna be an unmarked admin unit?  I love the Rams b/c I think the Ram Box was a fantastic idea and b/c of the Hemi

The only thing I would do differently is change the pattern on the Apollo (entire driver side alternating with entire passenger side) and syncing the duo color impaxx, so that all 4 flash red, then all 4 flash blue (triple flash up front and single/slow alternating to the rear)

it is an unmarked unit for the Under sheriff.

I wish I could ship our Tahoe to you guys! Great work as usual!

We accept Transport trucks! I will post a 2015 Tahoe next most likely. it is the final stages.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
That is perfect!  Thank you for taking the time out to take a pic of that!!  That'll help me alot.  I have a model specific bar, but still have some major flashback.  This will help to eliminate it.  Much appreciated!!

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
We like them because they are the same price single color or dual... So, more of a Why not. I also like doing them in a red/white, blue/white configuration to add some white light to the flashing, or use as additional take downs. We could have done RED/amber, Blue/amber to the rear and had a red/blue flash and an all amber flash. we are working on an amber arrow override function using those modules...
Amber arrow override would be sweet. I was thinking that's what the duo modules would be ideal for, but since there is only one ground and it's activates on the positive side I don't know how you could make that work.

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Amber arrow override would be sweet. I was thinking that's what the duo modules would be ideal for, but since there is only one ground and it's activates on the positive side I don't know how you could make that work.

I have a rear spoiler for a 2016 Ford Utility that i have this working on with these modules. IT takes a bit, but it can be done. Biggest problem is you cannot use sync wire... I will do a write up on it when it is ready. It is for our demo vehicle.

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
I have a rear spoiler for a 2016 Ford Utility that i have this working on with these modules. IT takes a bit, but it can be done. Biggest problem is you cannot use sync wire... I will do a write up on it when it is ready. It is for our demo vehicle.

Wicked, can't wait to see it!

QuickSilv3r

Jul 3, 2012
Southwest CT
I'm interested to know more about the cannons in the reverse lights: I have a '14 ram that I want to install cannons in and haven't found many images or writeups on them. 

The 120 works better than the 360 in the back wall of the reverse light housing?  no clearance issues with the stock bulbs?

I haven't installed hideaways for a few years, and always did it with a hole saw.   how did you 'burn' them in?  

Thanks!

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
I'm interested to know more about the cannons in the reverse lights: I have a '14 ram that I want to install cannons in and haven't found many images or writeups on them. The 120 works better than the 360 in the back wall of the reverse light housing?  no clearance issues with the stock bulbs?

I haven't installed hideaways for a few years, and always did it with a hole saw.   how did you 'burn' them in?  

Thanks!
Alot of cannon users remove the stock blub and set one of the modes to steady burn.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
I'm interested to know more about the cannons in the reverse lights: I have a '14 ram that I want to install cannons in and haven't found many images or writeups on them. 

The 120 works better than the 360 in the back wall of the reverse light housing?  no clearance issues with the stock bulbs?

Thanks!

Like Strobecrazy said most just replace the stock bulb with the cannon and use one function for the reverse light. You have to enlarge the hole where the stock bulb goes. Use the 120's vs the 360's to save some money because in the Ram's reverse lights their is little to no difference between both models.

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
We do replace the reverse light a lot of the time in trucks BUT i would rather burn a hole if it means it will have better output.

On the ram, this is the case.

When I say "burn a hole" i mean it. We take a 1 inch dull hole saw (it could be a sharp one, but I would rather use an old beat up one as to not ruin my good ones) heat it red hot with a propane torch and then burn through the plastic. I will probably die of cancer, but I won't have to F around with all the stupid plastic shavings made by drilling a hole. (all though we do add a fan to blow away the smoke to help with the carcinogenic problem...)

The 120 does a fair job in a ram housing by replacing the backup bulb, but it does better if put in to the concave of the reflector. The ram brings their bulb from the bottom of the light up, unlike any other manufacturers. Even the 360 is not that good in that position.

Honestly, I have not been real impressed with the 360. The light output is normally worse than that of a 120. The spread is not as good as you would hope. The only time i found the to be a better suited hideaway then the 120 is when used in the factory location of the new 2016 ford FPIU rear tail light. I have tried them in a number of different vehicles and locations and would much rather use the 120.

Don't get me wrong, the 360 is stupid bright, but the light dispersion is not enough, and I think they need to re-evaluate the reflector.  The old fairy did better IMHO.

QuickSilv3r

Jul 3, 2012
Southwest CT
excellent, thanks for the responses.     

I'm planning on a R/A canon to be a supplemental brake / rear fog  and amber warning when doing utility work.   that requires keeping the stock reverse bulb.    

I had high hopes for the 360, but it sounds like it needs a bit more work, and more light straight out of the base, not just to the sides.    

Thanks again RecElect, I'm going to have to try your method. anything has to be better than static charged plastic shavings sticking to everything in the housing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.