2015 Yukon Denali Install

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
The rear is decent, I really like what was done with the tail lights.  I like the roof rack lights to the front and rear, but not the sides.  I like the driving lights and HLF.  The grill is a hot mess, and the 900 series seems to block a lot of fresh air, while the smaller lights are just distracting.   The 3 LED heads look pretty effective, it is an attention grabbing pattern, but just look terrible sitting there.  My opinion is it is an effective warning set up, just clunky and awkward when not in use.

Reactions: Storm4200
Dec 4, 2011
US NC
The rear is decent, I really like what was done with the tail lights.  I like the roof rack lights to the front and rear, but not the sides.  I like the driving lights and HLF.  The grill is a hot mess, and the 900 series seems to block a lot of fresh air, while the smaller lights are just distracting.   The 3 LED heads look pretty effective, it is an attention grabbing pattern, but just look terrible sitting there.  My opinion is it is an effective warning set up, just clunky and awkward when not in use.
My thoughts exactly.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Why no sync on the intersection Vertexes!?!? You can't mount small, multi-colored lights that close together and not sync them. Otherwise I like it, especially the rear- nice slow patterns and big blocks of solid color.
I watched the part of the video with the vertex a few times, and really like the way the 3 lights grab attention.  For an intersection light, a burst is very eye catching, simply because it can not blend in with a turn signal. We see a steady paced flashing light at an intersection, our brain thinks it is another turn signal, until brain registers the colors.  With the burst, the brain registers something different right away. 

If only there was a better way to mount them, but then would they be as effective? 

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
What air horn are you using, where did you put the compressor and tank.
+1. Also single or dual AH, and what type of compressor/tank?

Also not really a good idea or location for the AH switch.. I have a feeling that client may have some transmission issues in the near future. (I can see a "oopsie" gear change when operating that while moving...)

I would of suggested wiring it upto the horn ring circuit, (with a separate on/off switch) or ideally a foot switch.

Reactions: emergency_ram12

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Ok the ions on the mirror will be fixed. The vertex on one side need to be synced. The siren is the Whelen Duel siren with a second 200watt Whelen Alpha hooked up to the same keypad. Total of 4 speakers. Air Horn is a Grover 1510. The button for the air horn is on the shifter in place of the O/D button.

I think the patterns are great with no split fail.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Ok the ions on the mirror will be fixed. The vertex on one side need to be synced. The siren is the Whelen Duel siren with a second 200watt Whelen Alpha hooked up to the same keypad. Total of 4 speakers. Air Horn is a Grover 1510. The button for the air horn is on the shifter in place of the O/D button.

I think the patterns are great with no split fail.
But plenty of sync fail (the Vertexes), aiming fail (the upward-facing TIR6s - landing zone lights?), and overkill. You don't need that many grille lights... especially those ugly orange lights. Two M4s in the grille would have been sufficient.

But, knowing who this is going to, I'm not shocked!

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
I tip my hat to the installer for the effort and hard work that went into this install, however, the lack of sync and the massive overkill I have to give it a thumbs down.

With my guestimation of the budget for the vehicle, the owner could have down a much simpler and quite possibly more effective warning package for the same price, if not cheaper.

Just my humble two cents.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I wouldn't drill holes into the bumper cover.  When you go to resell it you will most likely have to replace it.  An intersection bracket with Ions would have been more effective. 

Why not put the air horn on a switch?  If there is any type of warranty on the vehicle I can't see the air horn being connected to the OD button being a good thing.  And wouldn't that be bad on the OD?

Sync goes a long way. 

Reactions: Doug

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Not a fan of this one. 

- Vertexes for anything suck, especially intersection warning

- M9s for grill lights are just obnoxious, M7s mounted to the exterior would be plenty effective

- The light stick in the grill is overkill

- The airhorn switch in place of the tow/haul mode is creative but a bad idea. 

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I can't imagine how horrible the wind noise it with those lights mounted off to the side of the roof rack...

I'm all for overkill, but this vehicle just doesn't strike my fancy ...  

Reactions: FireMedic19

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Um wow. Love the rear (minus the brake light flasher), but the grill is way too crowded and 3 vertex looks absurd to me. Personally, I would've gone with a smaller M series for intersection (since the rear lightheads with colored lenses and the side roof rack lightheads show that covert is not the ultimate goal here) and just limited the grill to a pair of red M-series. Yes, FDNY Battalion Chiefs and EMS Officers have vertexes on their sierras but (as someone born & raised in NYC) I think that they are the least noticeable intersection setup that they could've selected for that amount of money.

As for the side lights, I do like the flash pattern and output, but I would've gone with something that stood out less; CBPdogboy's recommendation for the ST6 would've been a goo alternative.

Reactions: Eric1249

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I see plenty of SYNCH-FAIL on this one. The new Whelen Dual Mode siren is the highlight of this mess!
There is no sync fail or split fail on this install. The 3 vertex sync has been connected after this vid. Don't understand how a Whelen Duel siren is a mess. We added a second 200watt siren to it. I think it's very loud and effective having 2 200watt sirens. No mess as the second siren was added to the same keypad.

Shoulda just went with a Valor.
The customer didn't want a full Lightbar. I do agree a Lightbar is the most effective option. I would have gotten a Legacy.

But plenty of sync fail (the Vertexes), aiming fail (the upward-facing TIR6s - landing zone lights?), and overkill. You don't need that many grille lights... especially those ugly orange lights. Two M4s in the grille would have been sufficient.

But, knowing who this is going to, I'm not shocked!
It's a very big grill. They are Red M9 in the grill. I think M4 would get lost in this grill. A rect14 lightstick with 2 M9 is not a lot of grill lights.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
What air horn are you using, where did you put the compressor and tank.

+1. Also single or dual AH, and what type of compressor/tank?

Also not really a good idea or location for the AH switch.. I have a feeling that client may have some transmission issues in the near future. (I can see a "oopsie" gear change when operating that while moving...)

I would of suggested wiring it upto the horn ring circuit, (with a separate on/off switch) or ideally a foot switch.

...I'm still waiting for info on the compressor and air tank used, and mounting locations..

Any chance you feel like answering the above questions which were asked... well...weeks ago?

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
It's a single Grover 1510 air horn with a compressor. They are both mounted under the hood. Not worried about transmission trouble. It's not the first time I put a switch in place of o/d. When the customer wants to sell the vehicle we can easily reconnect the o/d switch.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
What model compressor and tank? Any photos of it mounted? I'm really interested in more info as I'm considering doing thr same. Plus I want to see how you managed to cram all that in the engine bay

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.