2016 Ford Explorer Auto Engine Off Disable

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
I'll apologize now if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm trying to gather some info on disabling the auto engine off on a 2016 Ford Explorer civilian version. Our Deputy Chiefs new truck will automatically shut off the engine and electronics after 15 minutes. This has happened a few times including while blocking the highway and it is a real safety hazard. The local Ford dealer is trying to figure it out. We know you can do it every time you start the truck, but has anyone found a way to permanently disable it? Thanks for any help.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Since that's a retail Explorer it sounds like it's a feature of an aftermarket remote start/alarm system that may or may not be adjustable thru programming. (DEI?)Clifford is the parent company of a handful of different lines and only one or 2 of them can be programmed to run as long as 1 hour before shutting down. When it's all said and done you may have to install a battery timer and run all your blocking mode warning off that.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
I'm not familiar with it, but I assume the vehicle monitors the voltage and then restarts? Either way, in the mean time, you should put the warning lights on a delayed-off timer.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
Since that's a retail Explorer it sounds like it's a feature of an aftermarket remote start/alarm system that may or may not be adjustable thru programming. (DEI?)Clifford is the parent company of a handful of different lines and only one or 2 of them can be programmed to run as long as 1 hour before shutting down. When it's all said and done you may have to install a battery timer and run all your blocking mode warning off that.

I thought the same thing at first but apparently it's a Ford "feature".

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
It's a factory feature. Not a remote starter. Apparently the vehicle is only allowed to idle for 15 minutes, then it shuts the vehicle off completely. The Cencom is ignition controlled and the vehicle kills everything when it times out.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
If it's a new CenCom, you can program it to shut off after a preset time. That is how I would handle this.

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
If it's a new CenCom, you can program it to shut off after a preset time. That is how I would handle this.
The issue is we don't want the lights or the vehicle itself to shut off at all. We also do not want to leave the lights on with the vehicle off.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The issue is we don't want the lights or the vehicle itself to shut off at all. We also do not want to leave the lights on with the vehicle off.

If this timed idle restriction can't be bypassed, install a Havis ChargeGuard or other brand device off the battery and power your switchbox through that, it can be programmed to stay on for up to 18 hours. If your blocking mode lights are limited to LEDs and the vehicle isn't hog wild with lights then 90 mins or 2 hrs should be sufficient time to leave the vehicle unattended while working the emergency without killing the battery.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
It's left running. Its a FD command vehicle. The computer turns it off after 15 minutes of idling.

What convinced this dept to order a retail Explorer instead of a PIU? Prior to the 2017 model year an ignition security device could be installed to allow the vehicle to idle unattended, now that feature is a factory option.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
What convinced this dept to order a retail Explorer instead of a PIU? Prior to the 2017 model year an ignition security device could be installed to allow the vehicle to idle unattended, now that feature is a factory option.
One reason may be four-wheel drive. The PIU is full-time AWD and as it turns out, sucks in deep snow because you can't lock the wheels in.

em2436

Nov 26, 2014
NY
It's also a take home car and daily driver, so they wanted the creature comforts.
just a thought, I'm assuming that the car will turn off if idling and no one is in the drivers seat. Why cant you create a jumper to keep the seat sensor active at all times and therefore will negate the turn off timer.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
If you leave the vehicle in neutral and set the parking brake, will that let the vehicle idle for over 15 minutes? Should be an easy way to check since it's a take home vehicle.

LiR

Feb 3, 2017
GA
I'll apologize now if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm trying to gather some info on disabling the auto engine off on a 2016 Ford Explorer civilian version. Our Deputy Chiefs new truck will automatically shut off the engine and electronics after 15 minutes. This has happened a few times including while blocking the highway and it is a real safety hazard. The local Ford dealer is trying to figure it out. We know you can do it every time you start the truck, but has anyone found a way to permanently disable it? Thanks for any help.

My husband's department did the same thing (2017 Ford Explorer does not have tow or 4 wheel drive). After numerous calls to Ford they said it can only be disabled in the factory fleet version. No way to disable civilian version. And the option to turn off each time is limited to idle max 30 min when left in neutral with emergency break on.

We did find a work around that works. (Not pretty tough) You still have to go into settings and turn off the auto shutdown and then also, put vehicle in park and place 10-15lb weight on break pedal. This tricks the system into thinking you are "interacting" with the vehicle. We were able to run for over an hour no issues. Like I said, not pretty... and you have to do these each time.... but it works. The "interaction" is the only way to exceed the 15 & 30 min idle limits.

Last edited:

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
It's certainly awesome how FoRd had a team of "experts" collaborate on the next gens,,,,,

So many things they made "better" for the end users...,.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Seems like I'd weld a bracket with a hook on it. Put the hook on the brake instead of a weight. It'd be easier

Reactions: LiR

LiR

Feb 3, 2017
GA
It's certainly awesome how FoRd had a team of "experts" collaborate on the next gens,,,,,

So many things they made "better" for the end users...,.
From what we gathered it is EPA regulations going out to all the manufactures. How do they keep emissions down while still giving a decent amount of power. Govt regulations ruin all good things.

Seems like I'd weld a bracket with a hook on it. Put the hook on the brake instead of a weight. It'd be easier
We were thinking of something similar as well.

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
And this is why civilian model vehicles should never be used in public safety. Ford makes PPV/SSV vehicles for a reason and they're competitively priced to the regular versions.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
From what we gathered it is EPA regulations going out to all the manufactures. How do they keep emissions down while still giving a decent amount of power. Govt regulations ruin all good things.

We were thinking of something similar as well.
Any thought of using something like the club fully extended from the steering wheel to the brake pedal?? Isn't there a manufacturer out there who makes a device to keep the engine running with the ignition off and keys removed, like tremco?? I think that's them.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
My experience with this is: As long as you select in the menu to disable the auto shutdown every time you start the car, the vehicle will idle forever. Otherwise it cannot be bypassed. For testing I installed a Fortin bypass (remote start interface) with a secure idle and it will make you think it's working, and then shut down on you.

My way around it just to make sure I don't find myself in a sticky situation was to install a Havis Idle Right 2 tied into the external trigger input on the Fortin Bypass. When the Carbide has the IR2 activated and the battery voltage gets low it automatically starts and runs the vehicle for 15 minutes as it should. I had to tie (with a diode) the Carbide's Idle Right activation output back into the Carbide's ignition input to prevent any accidental shutdown of the Carbide via it's internal shutdown timer.

wetroad5

Feb 24, 2020
East Coast USA
I found a way to disable it. First let me say I have spent days trying to disable this. My 2017 Explorer is a keyless unmarked police vehicle. There is NO special Police computer fix. Everyone posting a flash is full of ****. I cant have my cruiser shutting off PERIOD !!!!!!!
Go on Amazon and buy a OBD2 scanner that is a data logger. The one I bought was Autel Maxi AP200 for 54.95 and ur vehicle will no longer shut off
My friend had an old out dated data logger made by OTC. Worked great but he wouldnt part with it

Tricks the vehicle and the 30 minute timer never kicks in.

AMEN

Reactions: tk2222
Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
I think you may be confused. You either have a retail Explorer or you have a PIU. The PIU doesn't have the idle shutdown, the retail Explorer does. There is no police Explorer with PTS.

osswaldj

Mar 10, 2013
ma
I found a way to disable it. First let me say I have spent days trying to disable this. My 2017 Explorer is a keyless unmarked police vehicle. There is NO special Police computer fix. Everyone posting a flash is full of ****. I cant have my cruiser shutting off PERIOD !!!!!!!
Go on Amazon and buy a OBD2 scanner that is a data logger. The one I bought was Autel Maxi AP200 for 54.95 and ur vehicle will no longer shut off
My friend had an old out dated data logger made by OTC. Worked great but he wouldnt part with it

Tricks the vehicle and the 30 minute timer never kicks in.

AMEN
I bought one for my cruiser but it still shuts down, any ideas or settings?

Sfd295

Jul 6, 2010
Massachusetts
Check some of the Explorer boards around the internet. There may be a way to change it via FORScan. Lots of goodies in there, including ability to enable other PIU features for civilian spec models. Just make sure you know what you're doing and make backups of the as built modules.

Reactions: wojf72

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOHCZC

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.