2016 Ford Explorer XLT

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
This is my POV, a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT. It is replacing my previous 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Explorer isn’t my favorite vehicle I have owned, but it rides smoothly, the sounds system is great, and the air conditioning works. I used the opportunity to freshen up my equipment and took advantage of the Explorer to go a little more in depth with emergency vehicle specific equipment. I’m so far very happy with how it turned out and since I’m a fan of the dark vehicle look I am in the process of looking at new wheels and getting the color of some items on the body changed. Stay tuned for better photos and updates as I get bored and tinker with the setup! Disclaimer: Knowing me, it’s probably going to be dirty in a lot of the photos.

It is used for Emergency Management. Please take a look at the post for my previous vehicle first before questioning that, that horse is dust by now. 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Equipment List:

---WARNING LIGHTS---
2 - Whelen Blue Vertexes in fog light housings
2 - Whelen Blue Smoked ION V Series with white scene lighting in grille
1 - Whelen B/B/B/W/W/TD/TD/W/W/B/B/B Whelen Inner Edge FST Wecan
2 - Whelen Blue Smoke LINZ6 V Series under mirror lights
2 - No name 10W white “off road LEDs” for alley lights
2 - Whelen Blue/Blue Dual Avengers in side rear windows (internal flasher bypassed and 100% compatible and controllable with the Carbide)
1 - Whelen A/A/B/B/B/B/B/B/A/A Whelen Inner Edge RST Wecan
2 - Whelen Blue Smoked ION T Series for license plate lights
---SWITCHING---
1 - Whelen Carbide with CANport Vehicle Integration
---RADIO---
1 - Motorola CDM1250 VHF Radio
1 - X10DR Wireless Remote Microphone System
1 - Uniden BCD996P2 P-25 Phase 2 Scanner
1 - Motorola XPR6550/7550 portable radio charger (non-Impres)
---EQUIPMENT MOUNTING---
1 - Havis Vehicle Specific 2016-2018 civilian Ford Explorer 18” console
1 - Havis PIU fold up cargo plate (3rd row removed and Ford factory X brace installed)
1 - Havis PIU fold up equipment tray
1 - Pro-Gard PIU single drawer raised storage box
---ANTENNAS---
1 - Sti-Co VHF Flexi-Whip
1 - Pulse Larsen LTE Shadow Antenna (Black) on NMOHF mount
1 - Pulse Larsen 2.4Ghz Shadow Antenna (Black) on NMOHF mount
1 - Pulse Larsen 700/800mhz Shadow Antenna (Black)
---FLASHLIGHTS---
1 - Streamlight Strion LED C4
1 - Streamlight Stinger LED C4
1 - Streamlight Stinger Fast Piggy Back Charger
---TABLET---
1 - Havis console mounted laptop mount arm
1 - Ram Mount Intelliskin and Tab-Lock cradle
1 - Samsung Galaxy Tab S w/ Verizon Modem
---MISC---
1 - Idle-Right 2 Fuel Management System (tied into Fortin Bypass configured in “stand-alone mode”)
1 - Whelen White/Red 6” round 12 diode compartment light
1 - Cobra 500W Inverter
1 - Intellitec Battery Disconnect relay

---COMING SOON???---
-- Whelen Blue Smoked Micron Stud Mounts. On order to be installed in the rear bumper reflector area
-- Streamlight Fire Vulcan LED. Just needs to be mounted
-- Running board/rocker panel lights. Unsure of brand at this point but leaning toward Firewire LEDs only because I do not necessarily need the side warning (so I can’t justify the big bucks) and I can completely control the flash patterns of each color in the strip with the Carbide.
-- White ground lighting with dome lights. I really liked this on my Jeep

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 378
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 370
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 353
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 379
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_20180707_162128036_1.jpg
    IMG_20180707_162128036_1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 371

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Have you considered adding a HLF?

I don’t like the FireWire LEDs....if I was gonna go with a more “economical” running board option, I’d go with the vehicle specific SOS nline or the SNM Atom running board lights. Def not tracers or fusions, but better than the FireWires IMO.

Also, for the civi Explorer, are they different headlight housings than the NGPI utility housings with the cutouts? I was wondering if you would have to replace the whole headlight housings with the NGPI Utility headlight housings with the cutouts if you wanted to have the 45 degree intersection ions, or if the civi Explorer headlight housings have room for a cutout?

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
I'm going to try and get some better photos and video tomorrow assuming the weather cooperates.

I can't have a HLF per agency policy, this may change, but since we don't expedite per agency policy, I probably won't install a HLF.

Yeah I was considering the Atoms as well, it's a bit down the road so I have time to think about it. I really like the idea of being able to sync the lights with the vehicle though.

The headlights are my least favorite part of the Explorer, I can't turn that white "halo" off. The headlight housings are different and the LED driver for the "halo" in the headlights is located where the ION (or similar) is mounted in the PIU housing. In addition to the space being consumed, the actual cutout does not existing to allow the light to shine through the lens. It's also not possible (as far as I can tell) to swap the headlights from a non-base model civi with ones from a PIU due to the vehicles having different headlight control modules. If you install PIU headlights in the non-base Explorers you will lose all front marker/running light functionality.

FiremanSketch

Dec 17, 2014
Lake Arrowhead
I don’t like the FireWire LEDs....if I was gonna go with a more “economical” running board option, I’d go with the vehicle specific SOS nline or the SNM Atom running board lights. Def not tracers or fusions, but better than the FireWires IMO.

Honestly, I'd probably just throw a pair of LINV2 down there instead, and maintain the ability of white ground light functionality. It wouldn't be too over-the-top, vice a full rocker light. Plus it'd sync up nicely with that carbide. Maybe even a smoked lens for that added touch...

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Honestly, I'd probably just throw a pair of LINV2 down there instead, and maintain the ability of white ground light functionality. It wouldn't be too over-the-top, vice a full rocker light. Plus it'd sync up nicely with that carbide. Maybe even a smoked lens for that added touch...

I appreciate all of the feedback. I've never been a huge fan of the single lightheads mounted below the rocker panel look, but I do like the fact that I could use the puddle lamps as ground lighting. IONV3s would be lower profile and give me some additional "alley lighting." Nervous about them corroding though. This is giving me stuff to think about which is exactly what I wanted! Awesome

Reactions: StEaLtH2

FiremanSketch

Dec 17, 2014
Lake Arrowhead
I appreciate all of the feedback. I've never been a huge fan of the single lightheads mounted below the rocker panel look, but I do like the fact that I could use the puddle lamps as ground lighting. IONV3s would be lower profile and give me some additional "alley lighting." Nervous about them corroding though. This is giving me stuff to think about which is exactly what I wanted! Awesome
See, I'm the opposite! Lol. Never been impressed with the full rocker lights I've seen yet, and 2-3 lights down on the rocker always seemed (to me) to be enough without being too much.

I fully appreciate your concerns regarding corrosion. Northern winters do no favors. That 5 year warranty is worth the price of admission though!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
2 reasons why I wouldn’t go with the linv2 or ionv3 down there:
1) the protruding shape of the lightnead (since everything sticks out to achieve the 45 degrees) means that you’ll have to mount it further back towards the center of the undercarriage to protect them from getting kicked, IMO
2) those lightheads range from $150-175 each, and you’ll only get a small footprint (as bright as they are). If you buy 4 of those, u might as well buy a full Feniex rocker panel. On the other hand if you want some “supplemental” lighting (I only consider running board lights as secondary warning since they’re down so low), I would go with a pair of duo ion T or duo mpower 4” on each side and call it a day.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It has great 360 coverage for a slick top. However, I’m not a fan of the flash patterns on the ILB and rear light stick....for the front ILB, I prefer when the whole side flashes (whole driver side alternates with whole passenger side) and I would choose a slow flash pattern for the rear light stick

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
It has great 360 coverage for a slick top. However, I’m not a fan of the flash patterns on the ILB and rear light stick....for the front ILB, I prefer when the whole side flashes (whole driver side alternates with whole passenger side) and I would choose a slow flash pattern for the rear light stick

When not in Park the front bar flashes just as described. I'm still working on figuring out overall patterns and how I want to use the progressive switch. My agency requires 360 degree lighting at all times (except when it effects the operation on scene, so I have a front cut and all of the flashes are pattern overrides so I can shut off any specific light pair that I want when in a position). The positions build on each other and increase flash pattern speed to that it's more visible, position 1 being a simple "on scene" setting as opposed to 1 being a "rear only" setting. I still don't know if I like it.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I really was trying to say I liked the Previous Rims and was he trying to Blend into the pavement with those black rims... lol..

I'mabeast

Apr 5, 2011
Massillon, Ohio
How have you thought about replacing the headlights with the police model headlights? to where you don't have the white wire light on at all times. Just an idea I guess.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
How have you thought about replacing the headlights with the police model headlights? to where you don't have the white wire light on at all times. Just an idea I guess.
This has bothered me since the day I started digging into the vehicle. If I could I already would have. While the headlights are a direct replacement physically, the "Headlight Control Module" between the PIU and the XLT and above trim level Explorers are not the same. If I swap out the headlights I will 100% lose my marker light function. The headlights are controlled via a dedicated data network called "LIN" since it uses LED drivers control the brightness of both the "Signature LED" and the low beam.

I have considered making the swap and tying my carbide into the marker light wires of the headlight and using the CANPort to monitor my headlight switch, turning on the new marker output when the headlight switch it set to "marker." Unfortunately the CANPort system does not detect the marker light activation in the Civi Explorers like it does the PIUs.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Please get me your Vin# for your Explorer I will check with my Dealer and see if theres a Better Price out there for the items you are looking for.... also if you have the Ford Part #'s I can Make sure they are the Correct items... If you have the Vin of a Actual 2016 PIU it makes it easier, sometimes ford wont allow Vehicles not Identified as PIU's or PI's to get the parts designated for NON's.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
well there isnt another way to do what your talking about based on the modifiers guide that I can see... You did download the guides i posted right??

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
I downloaded the modifiers guide months ago when I bought the vehicle. It does not provide very much information in regards to modifying civilian Explorers. The system modules are different. I had used it for some insight on disassembling things.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
hmmm reminds me when they eliminated the parking/ side lights when they changed to the current cv setup, only the marauders got those lights.... but other then changing the modules i cant see a way to fix that

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
I've researched this to death, along with working with forums of others who have done the same. You can't change the module, it's now a part of the BCM, a part that no one has figured out how to modify. I've made a bunch of changes to the system but even with the official Ford scan tool, it cannot be changed.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Well doesnt that just Suck! I Miss the old days when you just change a switch and boom theres that extra item you didnt have before.. UGH

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Update:

- Added 2 B/W DUO Whelen IONs in the grille
- Installed Ford Factory Whelen Fog Light Inserts Blue
- Replaced FST Inner Edge with a DUO B/W FST with TDs
- Replaced no name alley lights with Whelen Pioneer Nano 6s
- Replaced Carbide with Gen 3 Cantrol w/ CANport
- Replaced CDM1250 with XPR5550
- Installed (2) Magnetic Mic mounts
- Replaced Ram tablet mount with Havis Dell Docking Station
- Replaced Samsung tablet with Dell Rugged Latitude Tablet w/ Verizon modem
- Installed Microns in rear bumper reflector location, will be replacing with IONs or ION-Ts, still trying to determine what I want to do.
- Removed vinyl flags on side windows, I got tired of the look

Pic to follow soon.

Reactions: RL1 and tsquale

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.