2016 Ford Explorer XLT

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Any reason you got away from the Carbide?
I would have stuck with a Carbide, I was totally happy with it, but I got an unbelievable deal for a brand new Cantrol from Whelen. Beyond that, I wanted (not needed, I could have lived with some lights doubled up) more outputs and since I have a WeCAN FST and RST, I couldn't add an expansion module to the Carbide to get more outputs.

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Very nicely done and well laid out. Personally I would throw some black vinyl on the chrome accents on the rear and sides but hey that's just my taste. How do you like the pioneer nano mounted in that location to the side? Does it throw a decent amount of light as an alley light and is the flashback worth it? I'm thinking of add them to our slicktop K9 spec(in addition to Ion Duos on the front PB and rear passenger windows that will go steady white as alley lights).

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
The nanos are great in that location and the 6 (as expected) punches through the tint with no problem. They are mounted to the upper O.S. handle bolts. The Nanos do have a decent amount of flashback, but since it's in the back, I can't really notice it while driving. I've considered trying to find a way to mount a flashback shield, but it honestly isn't worth the trouble.

Reactions: Krsdog25

kc1aei

Jan 25, 2018
MA
Just gonna take the five finger discount for nanos on the OS handle, pay no attention to me!

Saw the build on the Cantrol facebook page, so I'm glad you included more detailed photos here!

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Just gonna take the five finger discount for nanos on the OS handle, pay no attention to me!

Saw the build on the Cantrol facebook page, so I'm glad you included more detailed photos here!
Steal away. Just be sure to use a steel space and some tough hardware on the "extension" part.

Also, no problem on the photos, Facebook limits the number of photos so I had to pick and choose. I'm constantly making small changes.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Update, I need to grab some overall photos again:

- Replaced Cantrol with Core
- Added console extension on to back of vehicle specific console for portable radio chargers
- Added B/W DUO Tracers (no photos...)

Next is to replace RST and FST with WCX DUO RST and FST.

IMG_20200719_201438591.jpgIMG_20200719_195802019.jpg

Reactions: RL1 and FusionWolf

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
Love the color of the explorer. Very nice and clean install inside and out

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
More pictures!

I added an Arges and did a custom controller mount:
IMG_20210612_201614746_1.jpgIMG_20210626_205904543.jpg

And some cruise action with the Tracers. I added some Diode Dynamics SS2 pods to the lower grille and have their amber backlight tied into the Core.
IMG_20210829_213104901.jpgIMG_20210829_213126320.jpg

In addition to those changes I also added Hella HERO Flex lights in the front turn signals. Not really showing off what they can do, but I have them activate with my front flood.
IMG_20210829_204151555_1.jpg

abatstra

Dec 5, 2021
Licking County, OH
I'm working on building my new POV, which will be a 2022 Explorer ST. New ones are few and far between right now, and most are being ordered by dealers with the twin panel moonroof. I was concerned it would be difficult to install antennas behind the moonroof, as it looks like the shade slides back into the ceiling. It looks like you have a twin panel moonroof. Did you have any issues with your antennas?

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
I'm working on building my new POV, which will be a 2022 Explorer ST. New ones are few and far between right now, and most are being ordered by dealers with the twin panel moonroof. I was concerned it would be difficult to install antennas behind the moonroof, as it looks like the shade slides back into the ceiling. It looks like you have a twin panel moonroof. Did you have any issues with your antennas?
The shade rolls up in the back so you are able to work above and around it.

Reactions: abatstra

jbjlc

Jan 21, 2012
NewYork
This truck is sick! I want to do something very similar to mine! ( 2018 Ford Explorer )I’m just very, very picky about what I want ‍♂. I want to whelen Avenger II TRIO Dual Combination Linear/TIR Super-LED Dash Light (red/blue, and white) on the rear window on the top. And one one the driver/passenger fair rear window. With Whelen Vertex strobes on the rear tail light. And then alternating red/blue/white lights on the right and left side of the license plate.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
How's the Hero's working out?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.