2016 Pursuit Utility LED Insert Options

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
IIRC, there is a way to insert an Ion size head into the headlight assembly of a 2016 Ford Pursuit Utility. This is typically a factory option but I seem to recall some aftermarket options that accomplish the same thing. I'm not talking about a hideaway but an actual LED head.

What are my options?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I believe I've seen feniex T-series there, but I'd honestly recommend the ion duos there.....linear optic & perfect size & (depending on the controls/brain being used, & I'm sure you're using the top notch Whelen) use incorporate white for response and white cutoff when parked or in Slide position 2, but somehow I'm sure you'll have PLENTY of lighting in whatever path u end up choosing ;-)

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
I found this video of what I'm trying to do. I'd love to simply recreate the factory option as there would be no "engineering" involved. I guess I'm about to dig into the upfitter's guides.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
The only way it can be done is if the vehicle was ordered with the pre-drilled headlights, Option 86P. The other headlights do not have both the necessary cut outs, along the lens the black reflector section is cut out and the panel in back shown in the video. I've had them come in with and without 86P and inspected the headlight closely because the department that didn't order the option didn't want any of the lights to be visible until turned on to see if their was an easy solution. The only other way to make it work is to buy the headlights separately, or open yours up and modify it.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Might have to talk to a dealer for the part numbers. I've found 9 variations of the headlights right now on ford parts sites and they all use the same diagram. FB5Z-13008-M and FB5Z-13008-K are labeled as police interceptor. Ebay has a 10th variation listed for the passenger side, which looks to be the correct one, it's just the housing. If u plan on doing a direct swap though you should be able to scavenge the parts missing parts off of your current headlights. It has a completely different part number than the other ones though and doesn't show up on Ford parts sites. Either way the headlights aren't cheap and you'll be spending at least $650 per headlight.
http://www.mnfordparts.com/auto-par...ngine/electrical-cat/headlamp-components-scat

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Explor...ash=item3ac27e1a21:g:ugcAAOSwYlJW6ea5&vxp=mtr

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
As stated in post #4 they do not have the cutouts so it would be impossible to put hide-a-ways in the headlight for the corner. Besides possibly replacing the turn signal with a Feniex Cannon, the only other place I see you could get through the outer shell to a reflector would be the high beam, which I don't recommend doing because heat from the high beam will eventually melt the lens. I had an unmarked Utility come in that didn't know to order the 86P headlights, so I ended up mounting some tinted T3's on the side of the plug bezel where the fog lights usually go.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
As stated in post #4 they do not have the cutouts so it would be impossible to put hide-a-ways in the headlight for the corner. Besides possibly replacing the turn signal with a Feniex Cannon, the only other place I see you could get through the outer shell to a reflector would be the high beam, which I don't recommend doing because heat from the high beam will eventually melt the lens. I had an unmarked Utility come in that didn't know to order the 86P headlights, so I ended up mounting some tinted T3's on the side of the plug bezel where the fog lights usually go.
Looks nice, do you have any pics of how the T3s look tinted?
Hard to tell in the video, Nice work!

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Thanks, I had a cheap phone with a bad camera at that time. Pictures are the one I did as a test before I tinted all of them. Two are without flash. I did two with flash, it makes it look more like the ones that went on the vehicle.

Attachments

• 20160630_081119.jpg
    20160630_081119.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160630_081124.jpg
    20160630_081124.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20160630_081153.jpg
    20160630_081153.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20160630_081157.jpg
    20160630_081157.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 18

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Someone please clarify this for me as I'm in the process of spec'ing out a new PIU; I need- 1. alt factory highbeams, 2. white side led warning lights, 3. forward pocket warning lights.
What is the most cost effective ordering option to achieve all 3 even if it includes customer upfitting?

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Looks Good thanks! Appreciate it :) Any pics of them mounted?

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of them mounted. The vehicle was suppose to come back so we could put encryption into the radio. I planned on getting pictures and a better video then. Unfortunately, that turned into a mess and we're still waiting on the Sheriff's department to get a key loader so we can encrypt the radio because they hold the encryption key.

Someone please clarify this for me as I'm in the process of spec'ing out a new PIU; I need- 1. alt factory highbeams, 2. white side led warning lights, 3. forward pocket warning lights.
What is the most cost effective ordering option to achieve all 3 even if it includes customer upfitting?

1. It's cheaper to install an aftermarket headlight flasher than it is to get it as a factory option from Ford. I use ERM's PHLF01 Programmable Headlight Flasher.
2. I would assume since it's white they are wanting front warning. I would get headlight option 86P and install a TIR3 in them. Good option to help punch through intersections and front corner warning, if the vehicle isn't going to have a push bumper. Other than that ford offers mirror lights, not sure if you can get them in white. Anything further back on the vehicle you're going to be installing yourself.
3. Not 1000% sure what you are asking, if it's for the front driver and passenger side door panels then hide-a-ways would work or low profile light head.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I thought I was clear- I need the 3 options I noted, whether they are OEM, aftermarket or both, whichever is cheapest.

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
How many pre-drilled holes per housing are provided in the 86P option?

Just one hole per housing. Option 86P only provides the bracket and grommet to add corner lights. The video in post #3 shows a headlight with the option. At the 0:53 mark the bracket he pulls out, that the light is mounted on, is what you get.

Without that option the hole isn't cut out from the factory and the black shroud that's on the inside of the light isn't cut out in the corner for a light.
ford_16explorerxlt5fa_headlight.jpg
Headlight above is showing how the standard headlight doesn't have the cutout vs the one below which the 86P option.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
ford_16explorerxlt5fa_headlight.jpg

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Still confused- the 86P photo in the brochure depicts a twist-lock hole that Code3 and Axixtech offer a round led head for while the posted video depicts a recess with a rear cover to mount a rectangular surface mount led head- that's the corner light? Does the round hole accommodate a customer supplied 'pocket warning lamp'?

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Still confused- the 86P photo in the brochure depicts a twist-lock hole that Code3 and Axixtech offer a round led head for while the posted video depicts a recess with a rear cover to mount a rectangular surface mount led head- that's the corner light? Does the round hole accommodate a customer supplied 'pocket warning lamp'?

I looked at the brochure and see why it's confusing. The twist-lock hole you see isn't for a warning light per say. That's where the factory turn signal goes. I have not seen one with the factory front pocket warning lights, option 21W, but I think they are using the Whelen Halo series bulbs for that option. I'm not sure why they didn't cover it and why the cover, like in the video, wasn't included in the picture. Yes the cover to mount a rectangular surface mount led head is the corner light. I would not use the round hole in the back of that mount to install a hide-a-way. The hole is too far back from the lens to be effective. The hole on the cover comes with a grommet and is to run your wires through. I'm not sure why they use such a big hole though.

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
Does anyone have the dimensions of this cutout, or the biggest light size it will allow? I'm assuming any of the IONs will fit, specially the wide angle or DUO?

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
Sorry to revive a Dead post, but im just curious with all this time that has passed, anyone venture to do anything in the Civilian explorers? for Intersection warning, similar to a cut out, or dill into it like the utility?
I have worked on utilities, and the Civi Models, have gotten LP Brackets,or side mounted lights, but still curious if anyone has ventured beyond..

Thanks all!

Reactions: K9Jax

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.