2016 Toyota Tundra CrewMax (FF POV)

RIG755

May 24, 2011
South Louisiana
Starting this thread to provide others with one example of a newer Tundra "upfit". Given my location & response distance (suburban & rural), it was suggested that I upfit my POV with warning equipment for Fire/EMR response (majority volunteer region). That said, I decided on Feniex visual hardware, with a Whelen siren controller. Hardware selection is as follows:

Siren Controller:
Whelen HHS220, w/ two (2) 100-Watt speakers
-Loud & effective audible warning!
-Preferred remote mounted controller (no bulky boxes bolted in open interior space)
-Programmable options are easy to do

Feniex Cannon - Red only:
-Mounted in the clear section of tails (reverse light section)
-Dual mode section for normal warning usage
-Override mode wired to reverse light signal, providing slow on/off pattern when in reverse

Feniex Apollo ILB - Dual Mode R/W (universal kit):
-Wide angle light dispersal (up high)
-Fusion is a better option for optic configuration (wasn't available in 2014)
-Dual mode configured to run red only on-demand
-Mounting hardware adjustment req'd (as expected for universal kits)

Feniex Cobra 600 - Red, Exterior:
-Mounted on top of grille, under hood (tight fit) & at rear, onto headliner
-Narrow angle light dispersal for distance
-Visible thru window tint, but rear window slides down for max visibility

Feniex Apollo F6 - R/W (front & sides), Red Only (LP frame):
-Dual mode R/W is nice for daylight usage (configured for on-demand red for night usage)
-LP frame better suited for Cobra optic, but F6 is "ok"

**As of 01/13/17**
Pattern selection is a work in progress for R/W config. Red only is just fine for me (see videos). The more I watched the R/W video, I decided to adjust the F6 patterns (R/W) on the front bumper to slow (single), alternating (incl. colors) pattern, as it was too "busy" for my liking. Will adjust R/W side warning (inner pairs) until I decide on something that doesn't appear to "jump all over". Will work on that later today.

Video (Red Only):

Video (R/W - Side Pattern Change #1):
**Updated side patterns. Scroll down.**

Last edited:
Reactions: OliverD and #1texan

RIG755

May 24, 2011
South Louisiana
How does it do with the rear window up?

Due to the privacy glass, along with 20% tint, light output is reduced quite a bit. I hardly ever run lights with window up. This was my PREVIOUS truck, using a different rear bar, but the output thru that same level of tint is close to the same (best my eyeball can tell). With my new truck, I went with the smaller, lighter bar to secure to headliner, so that visibility of the rear bar is higher.

Reactions: CACBAND

#1texan

Apr 17, 2016
Texas
Good looking set up, glad to see someone doing something with a Toyota (for us Toyota folks out here).

How did the universal mounts fit on the visor bar, did it require any modification?

RIG755

May 24, 2011
South Louisiana
Good looking set up, glad to see someone doing something with a Toyota (for us Toyota folks out here).

How did the universal mounts fit on the visor bar, did it require any modification?

It sits lower with the universal kit. I used what I felt necessary to fit it as tight to the headliner as possible. Still get a little side flash visibility, but it's minimal. It would be nice to have hardware made for this truck, but that's not a common fleet truck. The Fusion ILB's hardware kit has better flashback prevention hardware. I guess Feniex listened to customer feedback on that version.

ai30.photobucket.com_albums_c326_zro26t_225_3BD1D098_2534_4BA1_956F_FAE11AA73DAB.jpg

ai30.photobucket.com_albums_c326_zro26t_225_92EC5D5A_0C84_420E_8E7E_91A7B58CDC8D.jpg

ai30.photobucket.com_albums_c326_zro26t_225_8927A165_B057_43C4_8D10_47F8D448B322.jpg

ai30.photobucket.com_albums_c326_zro26t_225_5A9F9C36_ED31_41C7_9785_DE8F13ABA778.jpg

Last edited:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
LOVE your Toyota. The only thing I'd do is change the flash pattern on the ILB (flash the whole side at once), sync the running board lights (flash all red then all clear), & maybe consider upgrading the front 600 to a fusion 180 to get you some better off-axis

Reactions: RIG755

RIG755

May 24, 2011
South Louisiana
LOVE your Toyota. The only thing I'd do is change the flash pattern on the ILB (flash the whole side at once), sync the running board lights (flash all red then all clear), & maybe consider upgrading the front 600 to a fusion 180 to get you some better off-axis

Thanks, but I like the ILB pattern, as it breaks the monotony. As for the 600, you fund the cost, and I'll consider changing it out. LOL Seriously, off-axis would be a reasonable recommendation if I were in the city, but corners here are unobstructed, widespread intersections. I wanted the 600 for distance anyhow. No problems concerning that, but would have considered if it were offered a couple of years ago (this is not a "new" setup). The ILB does enough for off-axis.

I've already changed the side patterns (as stated in my original post). I'll try a few different combos before I settle on something. ;-)

Last edited:

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.