2017 Explorer fusion 600 stick mount

Kendreth

Jul 28, 2011
Nashua, NH
So i got my 17 explorer the other day:D. planning on a Feniex build. first order of business will be the 600 stick in the back window with a 4200 mini to control it. My question is whats gonna be the best non invasive mounting location? i had wanted to do the window mounts but the rear glass is curved. my next best option as far as i can tell would be 90 degree brackets on the headliner just inside the rear hatch or 90 degree brackets on the hatch and straddle the wiper arm lump on the inside. anyone think of a better way/place to mount this stick in the rear window? its going to be the primary rear warning device and rear glass is factory tinted. all input is welcome!

20170619_143447.jpg 20170619_143510.jpg 20170619_143600.jpg

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Don't worry about the tint the Fusion 600 will punch through it no problem. Just make sure at least the majority if not all optics are 40 degree, since it'll be behind a tinted window. I would mount it either on the headliner or 90 degree brackets on the on the top of the hatch, right above the window. I would not mount it right above the windshield wiper. Since it will be your primary warning you want to get the light up as high as possible.

The hatch would be the best option since it would be out of the way. Mounting it to the headliner will give you something to possibly hit your head on when reaching in the trunk for something. It will also be blinding if the open the hatch and the lightstick is on, making it difficult to see what you are getting out or putting in. Mounting it to the hatch would give you less flashback, it would be out of the way when the hatch is opened. It might be hard to see in full sunlight but when the hatch is open the lightstick will reflect off the rear window still giving you rear warning on cloudy days or at night.

Reactions: Kendreth

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
I would mount it on the hatch at the top of the window. I have two Cobra 100s in my rear window and it works great. I have them wired with a tilt switch and relay so when the hatch is opened the lights in the window turn off and two Axixtech ST6s in the bottom of the hatch turn on since my only rear warning are the two heads.

Reactions: Kendreth

Kendreth

Jul 28, 2011
Nashua, NH
thanks for the input! i'm at a toss up between the top of the hatch or the rear headliner. i really don't need to get any gear out of the back, my responses are mostly from home to the hospital (<20min safely). only thing i don't have at home is the HAZMAT gear and that gets donned in the basement of the hospital. this is my first brand new vehicle and i'm really leery about putting ANY holes in it. I wanna mount it right the first time and leave it there for eternity (or until the next wonderful multi-color multi-phase innovation from Feniex comes around :D)

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
While I've always had good luck with the heavy duty 3m double sided tape as well as heavy duty Velcro - I don't know how it would hold up with the light pulling down with gravity if you use tape/Velcro to mount it up on the headliner...all my installs using 3m or Velcro have always been so the light is sitting on a dash/deck or other surface ...so for those they have worked wonderfully..I would THINK the heavy duty Velcro or tape would hold since the bar isn't 20 pounds...but, I'm not real sure.

Reactions: zsiya

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.