2017 Ford PI Utility integral interior lightbar

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I don't know if this is the right forum, but Ford announced yesterday the 2017 Utilities would have an option for an integral interior lightbar that would be mounted at the actual top of the windshield in front of the headliner edge, not below it as current examples do, available as red/red, red/blue and/or blue/blue with takedowns. No info on whose bar, or if it is "their" own, flash patterns or approx cost.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...terior-visor-light-bar-on-police-utility.html

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
Can't tell from the pics on the press release, they're fairly low res. Appears either Gen 1 or something like a Solaris reflector. Expect it to be expensive like the rest of the RFTR options.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
It'll probably be pricey, but I would bet that a lot of departments will buy it because it is 'zero' profile, and it's integrated into the vehicle (which just makes it easy to order). Ford will also need to offer different models for red/blue and all-blue agencies, and will likely need to offer all-red as well.

It's interesting to see car manufacturers get more and more into vehicle outfitting. They're banking on the fact that fleet managers like things that are easy (let's face it , making decisions on a full vehicle upfit is pretty complex) and they're willing to pay for the convenience factor.

Ford used to be really big on crash-testing everything and ensuring it all meets SAE standards, etc. I wonder if, because it's behind glass, this light will meet SAE Class 1 standards. If not, Ford could open themselves up to a lot of liability. I see that they're saying that if you order this option, they give you a windshield without the sun-strip (tinting) at the top so that the light doesn't have to go through the tint.

The tint is actually nice because it hides the bar, and generally isn't a big deal if you're using a bright interior bar.

However, all you distributors and outfitters (like we are) should be nervous about this trend that's taking business away from us.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Pics kinda look like Solaris optics (from my phone), but I'd be very surprised if they didn't keep it simple by sticking with Whelen for their ready for the road/factory installed equip, due to logistics

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
Not sure how much we have to worry about this trend since it's been around for a while. Back when CVPI were being produced there were lighting packages and different level of up fit were available right from the factory. Just my .02

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Not sure how much we have to worry about this trend since it's been around for a while. Back when CVPI were being produced there were lighting packages and different level of up fit were available right from the factory. Just my .02

Ford has been adding more and more things to their menu. We used to sell a fair number of Smart Sirens, but that number has gone way down since the RFTR package came out with the Cencom. We have a number of departments that were all Federal but now they have Federal bars on the roof and some perimeter lights, but the guts are all Cencom.

Kerr will do a COMPLETE outfit, including lightbar, pushbumper and everything. If that doesn't worry you, it sure should. One of our larger local departments got 100 cars completely outfitted by Crown a couple years ago. That included lightbars and much more. They ordered the Chargers with all that stuff as an option.

The manufacturers and dealers are using this as a way to significantly increase the margin they make on a vehicle. This is especially true of the dealers who typically make $200-$400 on a vehicle when sold via bidding process. If they can also sell upfitting, then they can double that margin fairly easily.

Reactions: TJW
Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
It really speaks volumes about Ford's inability to pay attention to what customers want. It would be one thing if the tint strip was smoke, but they make it teal/blue, which severely cuts down on red lights and makes white lights look green. Then they just now decide that you can order the windshield without the tint, but only if you buy their interior bar.

Reactions: Jamey@NNE

13TTPP

Feb 11, 2016
San Antonio, Tx
As to the trend of dealerships unfitting cars, I would imagine results may vary. Back in 2010 or so we got 4 chargers complete with bars, consoles, and cages. Turned out that whoever did the install for the dealer used cages from a different application, and the tunnel mounting points used screws that were too long and at some point they discovered that they rubbed the drive shaft. The dealer had to send out out people to fix the problem and replace the drive shafts of all the cars. Would have been interesting had there been a catastrophic failure.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It still amazes me how all of the manufacturers try to use "we listened to your feedback" as their marketing pitch, when in reality, they just talked to a handful of officers that don't represent the voice of LEOs across the country.

It'd be so easy (And cost nothing) to have a quick opinion poll/form on the ford website where people can submit suggestions. They're obviously not obligated to listen to every suggestion posted, but it's amazing how many products inventions or product improvements have come from simple Joe Schmoes, and I'm sure 100's of members of the public safety community (LE/fire/EMS) would submit some interesting ideas/recommendations

Reactions: SafetyLighting

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Talk to your loca windshield shop! You can order the explorer windshields without the blue strip at the top.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
If enough customers ask for it they might consider adding a 'delete windshield tint band' to the VSO or SEO list

cybercop

May 31, 2010
USA, TX/South
I guess I may have a little different viewpoint. I oversee a patrol division that consists of 14 fleet vehicles. Down in my part of Texas there is no outfitters for 3-4 hours away. The price difference is negligable if I were to order a vehicle from the dealership that offers as a one-stop-shop delivered to my Agency ready to hit the streets.

Right now I order the car and equipment at the same time. The equipment is from an separate outfitter. The cars comes in about a month, the equipment takes 8-10 weeks, another 3-4 weeks for outfitter to install since they have to drive down and justify their time, finally another 2 weeks to stripe and get it insured. To me that inefficient time. I'd rather spend the extra money and get everything done at once and ready to go upon delivery.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
It makes sense right up until you try to get the dealership to warranty or service any of the emergency equipment, then it becomes a huge issue as some agencies have experienced already.

Reactions: StEaLtH2

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
The least ford could've done was had someone from Whelen review their video before releasing it...I can't stand when ppl refer to "strobe LEDs."

It honestly doesn't impress me; it looks like 2 linz6's/lin3's mounted like a mini outer edge. Their marketing vid is trying to make it seem like they reinvented the wheel or some emergency lighting breakthrough by popping on a few basic Whelen lights. Maybe 2-4 ions with the duo linear optics would be cool; i.e. Duo A/C for Amber flash and clear steadyburn for additional bed lighting.
As it stands right now, a pair of hood-clipped ions and 2 small lin lights to the rear isn't "wowwing" me, and at the rate ford is prob gonna charge, I'll buy myself a solid minibar for $300 (i.e. Responder LP) and call it a day (and probably save money while getting better warning).

I think ford is getting ahead of themselves by thinking they're gonna be a big hit when most construction companies that I know have basic setups (i.e. Minibar only, or minibar with a few LAWs) & the wiring is super basic hardwiring 101 or cig plug. If I were ford, I would offer more practical add-on options than lighting, as a "utility ready for the road" approach, such as:
--rooftop mounting options like the Acari CHMSL mount ready to go and just let the customer choose lighting in their budget (b/c this is def a WIDE range)
--toolbox
--headache rack

Last edited:

dcb

May 21, 2010
Lexington, Fayette Co, KY
I agree 100% about the "strobe LED" title... I see it often and it drives me crazy.

Regarding the kit, yeah I get it - Ford will probably price it way higher than what anyone on ELB would pay. But, Ford isn't marketing it to professional dealers or savvy enthusiasts, they are targeting fleets -- and trust me, fleets will order it because its easy. I saw one (or something very similar) today on a city utility truck(sorry for the crappy photo).

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.