2018 Ford PIU headlight question

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
Hopefully in the right spot. I’ve never seen these in headlights before so I’m wondering if anyone can share some knowledge. They have two wires going to them a purple and a black. Are they LEDS?

Attachments

• C14D0C50-CE5C-4BC4-90E0-AB28CDBB17AE.jpeg
    C14D0C50-CE5C-4BC4-90E0-AB28CDBB17AE.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 3221CC43-036F-4046-ABF7-1A8A5047EFFE.jpeg
    3221CC43-036F-4046-ABF7-1A8A5047EFFE.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 47

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
Yeah they may not even be LED. I was just trying to figure out what they were. Still in the process of trying to get the spec sheet for the options package for this vehicle no luck yet.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
actually has he turned on all the lights, blinkers, and flashers to see if they light up?? I posted the modifiers guide to the vehicle and the options of said utility based on when the guide was made it should have some listing for it... otherwise take your vin number to ford and ask them to pull up and print you out the full sheet on the vehicle so youll be able to see what was ordered and what the packages were.

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
I’ve tried calling the ford dealership where it was bought three times. They won’t give me the info.

I may try to call again Monday, and see if I can speak with someone else. Or call a different dealer.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
youll have to go through the parts shop, give them the vin and tell them you need the full print out of the vehicle... thats what they base your parts requests off of... sometimes they can be a real pain when you need the info.

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
I Might have what your looking for... I just found this...

cant upload the pdf its too big..
so heres the address...

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resource...017/17_Police_Interceptor_Brochure_MedRes.pdf

ENJOY!

and yes that appears to be Option 66A

Police headlamp.
Includes base headlamp with high-beam
wig-wag function and (2) white LED side warning lights <<-------

The white LED side warning lights should be IONs.

OP are you sure those are the PIU headlights? They almost look like the retail headlights.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
actually you know looking at those pictures and then the ford picture I cant figure that out myself either... interesting...

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
If the headlights have the LED "halo" around them they are not PIU headlights. Ford calls it "LED Signature Lighting" in the retail Explorers.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I should have done a better job with this but what I meant when I said this...

and yes that appears to be Option 66A

Police headlamp.
Includes base headlamp with high-beam
wig-wag function and (2) white LED side warning lights <<-------

was that this was the option hes looking for but not what the lights are that he showed, those look exactly like the Civilian lights I saw when a Explorer limited rolled up on my job last night, so that leads me to think that he has a Street appearance version like my CV does but I wonder if someone screwed them in the deal and they got non interceptor utility explorers...

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
Ahh... thanks for the picture. I see where the ions are suppose to go, but they did not come with it. The only option that came was the 21L aux warning lights. No wig wag function either. I tried all the factory wiring that controls with wag, etc. So we’re good. Thanks for the help gentlemen!

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
is there a date on it? maybe its a version before the ions went on the new headlights... but it does resemble the retail version... surprising but as I said probably an older model.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
I’ve got this headlight unit on a PIU here. Date on the door frame is 08/17.

The outer halo does not light up.

There’s a FS Twist-n-Lock installed.

A08E9FA3-99D5-4954-8A36-584E625338B4.jpeg

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
Nice! I can kinda see it in there looks like a vertex or something similar? I haven’t looked into it much more, but I need to look into how to install the ions there if they didn’t come with it and the hole will accept it. Thanks for the pic!

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
Now I’m even more confused haha. I would assume they make the headlights to where you could use a twist lock style vertex or an ion? The headlight we had here looked like it could fit a whelen ion. It didn’t look like there a twist lock option on it. There’s so many different options .

We use to use federal signal in here a lot, but for some reason we’ve pretty moved away from it and are mainly using Tomar and Whelen.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.