2019 F150 Carbide Programming Issue

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
I have a 2019 F150 using Carbide with the OBD2 interface. For inputs I have grabbed the brake light and the left and right blinkers from the OBD2 port.

On the brake light input these ports I have 2 whelen vertex in the taillights and 2 ions in the back rack in red. Vertexs do brake alert and the Ions do steady.
On the turn signals the vertexs and ions steady on and off with each trigger of the turn signal.

Now to the issue. Each input independently works perfectly, brake lights function without an issue and the turn signals function without an issue. However, when you have the brakes on and activate the blinker the lights will stay solid red leaving only the factory halogens to try and signal through the LEDs. I’ve tried many ways to get each side to function as a blinker while the brake is on but to no avail. Programming the blinkers to shut off the heads on the off cycle works, however this also cancels the brake lights on the other side of the vehicle. Programming in an event for each blinker L and R so that the brake stays on while the blinker is on “Works” however in all modes it adds a 1 second delay to the activation of the blinkers and brakes which just won’t do.

Do any of you know how to make this work so that the blinker will override the brake light on the proper side without causing any issues. I realize that if I did a trigger wire from each taillight this would alleviate the issue as each side would be controlled independently, however I don’t want to cut into factory wiring if I have the OBD2 interface.
Any help would be great. I can email programming to people if they want to give a shot at it, because I’m stumped and also running into a few minor programming glitches I would like to figure out.
Thank you all for your help in advance

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Way out of my familiarity but can you make use of the "latched" turn signal CAN inputs to disable specific breaklight output?

Attachments

• latchedTS.png
    latchedTS.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 2

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
I think the latched signal will _stay on_ for the entire duration that the non-latched signal is..."flashing".
Over time, they'd look like the attached (I'd hope :) )

So you should be able to leverage the latched signal to override/disable/de-prioritize the break-light output specifically for the side (L/R) that should be blinking.

I don't know specifically how to do this in Carbide (and don't even have one to try)...but it seems like it should be doable.

Attachments

• ltch.png
    ltch.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
I think the latched signal will _stay on_ for the entire duration that the non-latched signal is..."flashing".
Over time, they'd look like the attached (I'd hope :) )

So you should be able to leverage the latched signal to override/disable/de-prioritize the break-light output specifically for the side (L/R) that should be blinking.

I don't know specifically how to do this in Carbide (and don't even have one to try)...but it seems like it should be doable.
i gotchya. ill have to give that a try

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Any luck?

I explored a bit further and it looks like Command's "Events" is where the magic can happen.

If you create four events:
1. "if Brake-Service is ON AND Turn-Signal-L-Latched is OFF"
2. "if Brake-Service is ON AND Turn-Signal-R-Latched is OFF"
3. "if Turn-Signal-Left is ON"
4. "if Turn-Signal-Right is ON"

Then map:
1 and 3 to your Left-Turn-Signal output
2 and 4 to your Right-Turn-Signal output

I think this will do what you want.

I don't have a Carbide but I did manage to get this working on a Sapphire (using convention inputs in place of CAN/OBDII signals).

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
Any luck?

I explored a bit further and it looks like Command's "Events" is where the magic can happen.

If you create four events:
1. "if Brake-Service is ON AND Turn-Signal-L-Latched is OFF"
2. "if Brake-Service is ON AND Turn-Signal-R-Latched is OFF"
3. "if Turn-Signal-Left is ON"
4. "if Turn-Signal-Right is ON"

Then map:
1 and 3 to your Left-Turn-Signal output
2 and 4 to your Right-Turn-Signal output

I think this will do what you want.

I don't have a Carbide but I did manage to get this working on a Sapphire (using convention inputs in place of CAN/OBDII signals).
I have unfortunately not been able to get anything just yet. Tomorrow I'm going to be working on it a little bit. I did try what you posted above and it actually creates a delay in all the inputs. I'm not sure if it's a processing delay or conflicting commands right now. I'm not using the latched input I wonder if that's where my issue is

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
If the latched signal does what I think/expect it does, it is critical in getting your scenario to work. This is the signal we depend on to essentially say, "Hey, Mr brake-signal, the turn-signal is on. Get out of the way and let us track the on-off pulses of the non-latched turn-signal to have our LED outputs track with the factory on/off pattern."
As you described things in post #1, brake and turn signals work just fine so long as they don't overlap in time.
I posit that the "latched turn-signal" can/should be used to get the brake signal out of the way if they do overlap in time.

Reactions: FusionWolf

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.