2021 Ford Explorer 12v source

Sfd295

Jul 6, 2010
Massachusetts
Hey everyone,

Just got a new 2021 Ford Explorer ST. I'm amazed at the amount of technology in these cars. Finding a good 12v source in the trunk area is proving difficult though. I'm hesitant to just blindly start tearing trim panels off. I'm planning a system with a max draw of about 30 amps. If I could avoid running a source from the engine compartment that would be great. It's a mess in there. Very little room to maneuver.

Anyone have any experience with these newer models that aren't PIU's? I already checked for the PI source under the rear seat and it's not there. That would've been too easy.

The battery itself is all tucked away with trim panels blocking it. It actually took me a little bit to find when we were at the dealership.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Dave

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Hey everyone,

Just got a new 2021 Ford Explorer ST. I'm amazed at the amount of technology in these cars. Finding a good 12v source in the trunk area is proving difficult though. I'm hesitant to just blindly start tearing trim panels off. I'm planning a system with a max draw of about 30 amps. If I could avoid running a source from the engine compartment that would be great. It's a mess in there. Very little room to maneuver.

Anyone have any experience with these newer models that aren't PIU's? I already checked for the PI source under the rear seat and it's not there. That would've been too easy.

The battery itself is all tucked away with trim panels blocking it. It actually took me a little bit to find when we were at the dealership.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Dave
I highly doubt that you are going to find any extra power wire that can support 30 amps in the rear on a non-PIU.
Its really easy to get that trim off that covers the battery. Its a few clips that are easily removed. Then you have full access to the battery. If you look in the passenger side footwell area, you should see a rubber plug, you can fish a power wire through there up to the battery. Then, just pop some trim off in the door sills and B-pillar, no tools required besides a panel popper, and you should be able to run a power wire to the rear very easily.

Sfd295

Jul 6, 2010
Massachusetts
Thanks for the reply. Much as I had expected I'll have to run a supply. That rubber plug was exactly what I was looking for. I haven't done anything on a passenger vehicle made after 2012. Things have certainly changed.

Can't wait to get it done though. Working now to find places to mount a Cencom head and two or so mobile radios without going the HHCH route. I wish I had a good quality 3D printer to make custom panels. Might put the Cencom on the overhead console with the Havis bracket. Not ideal but options are limited. Radio head locations are still up in the air. I am super hesitant to pull the stock console, there's a lot there and it just looks good. Havis makes a vehicle specific one but it isn't really the best looking thing. Function over form. The age old battle.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

Reactions: wojf72

Texas1075

Apr 21, 2021
Texas
I just finished equipping four 2021 police units. Although I use some of the available police power Ford supplies under the console and behind the back seat I still need to get some power direct from the fuse box so this may be applicable to your non police vehicle. After experimenting with different locations on some 2020 models last year I have found the best place to drill a hole in the firewall is on the driver's side. When using this hole location it is important to protect and secure all wiring away from the windshield wiper mechanism. Ford supplies a wire pass though hole a little lower on the firewall but I do not know if it is on the civilian version.

Attachments

• 2021.JPEG
    2021.JPEG
    197.3 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: wojf72

Sfd295

Jul 6, 2010
Massachusetts
Yeah there actually is that pass through on mine. It's a royal PITA to reach but I was able to utilize that and also get switched ignition from the 12v socket in the trunk for my power distribution unit (a D&R unit). I'm installing a Cencom Core so I'll be using the CAN hookup for whatever inputs I can. So far everything seems fairly similar to the PI except the wiring being in place.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.