2021 PIU Spoiler removal

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I'm trying to remove the spoiler from my 2021 PIU and I'm worried I'm going to break it. I pulled out three nuts (left and right bottom, and in the middle), along with two screws holding the "wings" on. I feel like there should be two more nuts but I can't find them, but when I try to bump it off, it still feels like it's holding pretty tight. I didn't want to bump it too hard and break it.

Any pointers from those who have done it before? Am I missing something?

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
OK so I figured it out. There are three nuts, two screws, and five clips holding it on. The red circles are the 11mm nuts, the red circles are 7mm screws, and the blue circles are where the clips are. If you have a small, sturdy pry tool you should be able to pop them relatively easily...but it does take a bit of force. I found by pushing on the spoiler from the underside right below the clip points, I was able to get them to pop and only broke one.

Attachments

• InkedPXL_20210906_235003823_LI.jpg
    InkedPXL_20210906_235003823_LI.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 47
Apr 5, 2023
OK so I figured it out. There are three nuts, two screws, and five clips holding it on. The red circles are the 11mm nuts, the red circles are 7mm screws, and the blue circles are where the clips are. If you have a small, sturdy pry tool you should be able to pop them relatively easily...but it does take a bit of force. I found by pushing on the spoiler from the underside right below the clip points, I was able to get them to pop and only broke one.
Dude, I just ran into this tonight. Thank God you had this out there. Thank you.

Reactions: fp13-2

west1986

Jun 24, 2023
San Antonio
Awesome that was very helpful. Now if i could figure how to run the wiring through the driver door rubber boot. Anyone have suggestions?

Attachments

• received_228791726627330.jpeg
    received_228791726627330.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 12

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
If I remember correctly, you should be able to pull both ends of the boot out, and there's a second channel in it to pull through. But it's been a while. I do know it was a royal PIA to pull wires through it.

Sfd295

Jul 6, 2010
Massachusetts
I know you already finished up but I didn't see this earlier. I hope you replaced the hardware like the upfitter manual states. I had a bad experience with this. So my buddy got a 2021 ex-cruiser and he wanted to remove the "outer-edge" housings under the spoiler. Holy c**p that was awful. I told him about the manual recommendations but he said he'd be gentle and not break things. Surprisingly enough he mostly achieved his goal. No problem, right? Well...

It leaked like a sieve and developed a rattle that made riding in the vehicle close to acoustic torture (at least for me, I can't stand things rattling in the vehicle, drives me insane). He then ordered the recommended parts and reinstalled the spoiler with the and tossed the old ones. I believe the parts came to a whopping $40 or so, and we got some extras just to have on hand.

It never leaked again and was rattle-free, at least on the interior

I'm attaching a screenshot too, it starts on pg 4-2. The link is:
2020 Police Interceptor Utility and Hybrid Utility Modifiers Guide

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...police/2020_Police_Utility_Modifier_Guide.pdf

This was also the case for the previous gen vehicles, see Whelen publication 14B39.

Hope I wasn't too late to the party to help out. I know removing it again just seems ridiculous after what you went through, but trust me it's worth it. If not keep a close eye on it. Good luck!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230629_165847_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230629_165847_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: fp13-2 and Tango7

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I know you already finished up but I didn't see this earlier. I hope you replaced the hardware like the upfitter manual states. I had a bad experience with this. So my buddy got a 2021 ex-cruiser and he wanted to remove the "outer-edge" housings under the spoiler. Holy c**p that was awful. I told him about the manual recommendations but he said he'd be gentle and not break things. Surprisingly enough he mostly achieved his goal. No problem, right? Well...

It leaked like a sieve and developed a rattle that made riding in the vehicle close to acoustic torture (at least for me, I can't stand things rattling in the vehicle, drives me insane). He then ordered the recommended parts and reinstalled the spoiler with the and tossed the old ones. I believe the parts came to a whopping $40 or so, and we got some extras just to have on hand.

It never leaked again and was rattle-free, at least on the interior

I'm attaching a screenshot too, it starts on pg 4-2. The link is:
2020 Police Interceptor Utility and Hybrid Utility Modifiers Guide

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...police/2020_Police_Utility_Modifier_Guide.pdf

This was also the case for the previous gen vehicles, see Whelen publication 14B39.

Hope I wasn't too late to the party to help out. I know removing it again just seems ridiculous after what you went through, but trust me it's worth it. If not keep a close eye on it. Good luck!
FYI for anyone doing this, I was going to swap out some heads this weekend, so I went to get the part, and the Kit Number LB5B-78442A86-AA that is listed in the Modifier's Guide is actually the engineering number. After some back and forth at the dealer, the correct part number for the seal kit is LB5Z78442K03A.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.