2nd haul for this month!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Code 3 Force 4 SD (under Galls brand TrafficBuster), a Force 4 XL, and a battle worn Federal 12X TwinSonic. All working, all free :D!

Courtesy of Elgin, ND Fire Dept ;)

WP_20180422_007.jpg

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Very cool! I didn't know that Galls had a version of the SD. Can't beat that price either

Indeed they did... all the ones I have seen though are the newer independent rotator versions of the SD.. (using the XL5000 style rotators). I have never seen a traffic buster in the sealed beam style.

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
talk about luck :D

Reactions: CrownVic97

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
I believe there is a one-haul-per-month limit. Before you get in trouble, maybe you should give this one to me...

Seriously, you can't beat free! On top of that, once you clean the dust off, they look like they're going to shine! Way to go! :)

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I know the Force 4 XL and SD will clean up quick, but the TwinSonic will be the most tedious. Hopefully I can revive those lenses.

Reactions: jph2

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
This is the picture that lead me to this 2nd haul. The department was auctioning off this truck online and I noticed the TwinSonic on top of their nook in the background. Made contact with them and got the ball rolling ;). And yes, before you ask, that Ford had a CTS TwinSonic installed on the roof :D!

o_687b99860ad3be4a62daf56cf97b55f2.jpg

Better view of the CTS on this cool ol' truck :)
o_8f3d4fb8977fdedb486693f06e8c9297 (1).jpg

Reactions: OliverD and FCV96

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I know one thatll make you cry.... Once when I was working for a tow truck company I had to pick up and drop off some cars for a Local city, they had a Pallet full of used Lightbars cause they were upgrading their fleet, I asked what they were going to do with them.... Crush THEM... I was Like You Gotta be Crazy, take off the blue and red and Donate them to someone who needs them for their fleet but dont waste them like that...
No Luck they Crushed them with a Road Roller!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I know one thatll make you cry.... Once when I was working for a tow truck company I had to pick up and drop off some cars for a Local city, they had a Pallet full of used Lightbars cause they were upgrading their fleet, I asked what they were going to do with them.... Crush THEM... I was Like You Gotta be Crazy, take off the blue and red and Donate them to someone who needs them for their fleet but dont waste them like that...
No Luck they Crushed them with a Road Roller!

Disgusting is the first word that comes to mind :rolleyes:. What a waste....

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Those "and then they sent them to the junkyard to crush them" stories suck.

The stories that are worse are the ones that end with, "Yeah, I know that you like to collect old lightbars. This weekend there was a county auction and they auctioned off three pallets of old lightbars for 20 dollars each. I just forgot to tell you about the auction."

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Those "and then they sent them to the junkyard to crush them" stories suck.

The stories that are worse are the ones that end with, "Yeah, I know that you like to collect old lightbars. This weekend there was a county auction and they auctioned off three pallets of old lightbars for 20 dollars each. I just forgot to tell you about the auction."

Oh, I'd be madder than a poked badger at whoever told me that. That'd be followed by "Welp.....I'll 'conveniently' forget about any auctions that have stuff that you really like and you're looking for. Have a great one...."

Seriously, a phone call....a got-damn phone call is not hard to make. I'm guessing you had that unfortunate experience, eh?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
This is the picture that lead me to this 2nd haul. The department was auctioning off this truck online and I noticed the TwinSonic on top of their nook in the background. Made contact with them and got the ball rolling ;). And yes, before you ask, that Ford had a CTS TwinSonic installed on the roof :D!

View attachment 212426

Better view of the CTS on this cool ol' truck :)
View attachment 212427

A CTS TwinSonic installed with gutter mounts and the Federal Signal mounting extension kit. Very cool!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Well, the first of these bars I tore into was the 12X TwinSonic....and good grief....it's amazing this dude runs at all :eek:.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves...

Initial inspection....
100_4902.JPG100_4903.JPG100_4904.JPG

The end caps tell me something's amiss.....

Opened up the bar.......
100_4905.JPG100_4906.JPG100_4907.JPG

HOLY JEEPUS was this TwinSonic just encased in dust! I took a air compressor to the innards shortly after these photos. Still, it was going to need a deep cleaning...or so I thought. Another thing I noticed was that the bulb holders were different. One side was the original, the other side was later date skeletonized bulb holders. The X-mirror on the driver's side was missing the bolts to the middle bracket of the top mirror, indication it may have been damaged at some point. That theory was strengthened by the motor date.

100_4910.JPG

I don't think TwinSonics were still in production yet in 1991. My theory is that the driver's side of the TwinSonic was ruined by something at one point, so they cannibilized a different one for their end cap, rotator assembly, X-mirror, and then replaced the motor for some reason out of a different Federal Signal lightbar. Like I said, this bar ran great under all that dust!

So, I thought I would be able to take all the components out and clean all that crud out right? Well.....no. Unfortunately, the elements had gotten inside this TwinSonic due to the rubber seals being gone, hence all the dust and crap. Started with the speaker tray and went to the first bolt. SNAP. That one was done for. So, I decided to put Liquid Wrench on all bolt points and soaked them for 10 minutes. The rotator assemblies loosened up, but everything else was rusted in completely. So....I decided against breaking more off and let this stay as is for the most part. I cleaned the bases of the rotator plates, cleaned the X-mirror plates and mirrors themselves, and wet sanded the domes as best as they could get.
100_4911.JPG100_4912.JPG100_4913.JPG100_4914.JPG

Left side before treatment, right side after treatment. Big difference!
100_4917.JPG
100_4918.JPG

Video of the "CrudSonic" in operation. I swapped the lenses to a modified 12X TwinSonic I had in storage because this dirty bar's lenses turned out much better than the ones on the storage bar (melted spots, stress cracks, and what-have-you) .

Lenses from the "CrudSonic" on the modified 12X Twinsonic from storage.

That's this bar! Two more to go. Stay tuned for more in the future ;-)

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
It's frustrating when you can't get the lightbar taken apart to clean & restore it the way you want. You did a nice job despite the challenges you were presented with. Remember a Twinsonic in rough shape is better than no Twinsonic at all.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Any TwinSonic that is free is a good TwinSonic. Amazed to see a CTS on that engine, hopefully it went to a good home and they kept the CTS on it, or at least saved it.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Any TwinSonic that is free is a good TwinSonic. Amazed to see a CTS on that engine, hopefully it went to a good home and they kept the CTS on it, or at least saved it.
Me too, man.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Next lightbar out of the 3: The fastest, easiest clean up ever!

Galls brandedTrafficBuster aka Code 3 SD basic. All I had to do was clean up the lil bit of dust inside, polishe the speaker grill some, wet sand and polish out the lenses (save for some deep scratches, but whaddya do?), and poof! Done!

I might hang onto this bar.....it's purty o_O

Before working on it.
100_4924.JPG100_4925.JPG100_4926.JPG

Interior cleaned out...
100_4927.JPG100_4930.JPG100_4931.JPG

Lenses wet sanded and polished up for maximum clarity! All put back into place and looking much better :D
100_4932.JPG100_4935.JPG100_4938.JPG

Video of course!

Code3 is the company name and their first bar was the SD with sealed beams...a competitor to the TwinSonic. And now for the caveat: The only SD I've seen up close had the rotators in a "tray" that were mounted to the extruded frame (not unlike SignalStat DualComms). Not having an SD frame to check, if that what it looks like without the trays, it could be the basic bar shell rebranded to Galls for a really low budget light...something Galls was known for. But I'm only guessing here; perhaps a member with an SD can chime in. And those sure look like Code3 rotators....
IMG_0498.JPG (Note the extruded frame)

Regardless, the mirrors are amazingly effective! I'm sure it was the cleanup job that makes it sparkle!!

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
Maxim2Eng is correct. it is a low budget bar made by Code 3 for Galls. matter fact i took a frame from a Gall's TrafficBuster bar (found that it had all of the predrilled holes) and swapped it out with a dilapidated Code 3 SD frame and was able to transfer all of the interior SD parts over to the TrafficBuster frame to create a very nice looking restored 47 inch Code 3 SD.

002.JPG
003.JPG

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
The company’s name was Public Safety Equipment Inc. from the beginning and the first light bar was named Code 3 and had sealed beams.
The next generation of their bar with rotating reflectors was called Force 4.

When the diamond shaped bar came out the original square one become SD and the diamond versions XL.

They adoptera the name Code 3 as a company name later on when the trade mark become synonym with the company.

I am actually holding a broschure dated 1977 in my hand right now and it clearly shows that.

Company name: Public Safety Equipment Inc. and the bars name/trade mark: Code 3 (tm).

Michael

The company’s name was Public Safety Equipment Inc. from the beginning and the first light bar was named Code 3 and had sealed beams.

I sit corrected, as usual...corporate/company/trademark names sometimes differ. My point is that "Code 3 = sealed beams" may refer to the Code3 branded bars, but does not preclude Galls from ordering from Public Safety Equipment, Inc. a rebranded Code3 shell with Force 4 rotators...cheap was not only their forte--it was what they were famous for! If I had to guess, I'd say PSE was probably glad to clear out Code3 inventory as the XL series (also available with sealed beams) became more popular.

At North Oldham Fire Department, our FIRST ISO Class A pumper (we were VERY rural) was a 1977 E-One Ford cab-over with the TwinSonic twin Code3 bar and we were all curious to look under the domes...I've slept since then....

Maxim2Eng is correct. it is a low budget bar made by Code 3 for Galls. matter fact i took a frame from a Gall's TrafficBuster bar (found that it had all of the predrilled holes) and swapped it out with a dilapidated Code 3 SD frame and was able to transfer all of the interior SD parts over to the TrafficBuster frame to create a very nice looking restored 47 inch Code 3 SD.
And there you have it...it's a Code3 frame.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.