For Sale 3 - BNIB Whelen 5200 Strobe Beacons - Price reduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian H

May 25, 2010
Iowa
8/22/15 Update - ALL SOLD

I have 3 more BNIB 5200 series strobe lights just like the ones pictured. They come with the original box and papers just like the ones pictured. They all have red lenses with them and the new switch. I also got 2 extra red lenses and a couple new switches like the one pictured and a base with no strobe or halogen so I'm not sure it's working condition. I had to drive further and pay more this time so here's the shake down

$275 for a set of 2 BNIB lights or $150 for 1 light.

If you have further questions you can email me direct at b_hamman0512@hotmail.com. I need these gone and out of my garage immediately.

5200.jpg

5200-1.jpg

5200-2.jpg

5200-3.jpg

5200-4.jpg

5200-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7d9_z28

Brian H

May 25, 2010
Iowa
They are self contained units.  I added more pictures and a price.  Not sure what they're worth or what to ask. 

Reactions: tsquale

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'm interested.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
You are about right, I'd do $250 shipped.  You might get more on ebay on a good day minus domes, or slightly less on a bad day.  

Brian H

May 25, 2010
Iowa
If anyone else is interested, I may have access to a couple more BNIB beacons.  These 2 beacons however are sold

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The pair of lights arrived to day.  They look great, just like the pics.  I left feedback.  I would highly recommend snatching up the other two guys, these are with the original switches, boxes and papers which isn't common.  The manufacturer date is 1988, which is two years before they became a special order (they were discontinued shortly after that).

OP, any idea the story behind these?  What were they ordered or stocked for?

Brian H

May 25, 2010
Iowa
Thanks John! From what I know and was told by the guy I got them from is that they are surplus equipment from the railroad. Strange that they have red lens and not amber but that's all I really know.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
PM sent back on the 25th. If you still have another set, I'll take them. Thanks,

Mike
OP got back to me faster via this thread than PM, FYI.  

Also, since another set is probably being sold, it reminds me...   I would add some additional packing material in the individual factory boxes.  The factory retention system in the boxes didn't hold up.  Nothing broke, but I'd add some bubble wrap or peanuts around the dome for your next pair.  

Again, a great deal on great lights.  They showed up fast and exactly as shown.  I couldn't be happier with mine.  

Reactions: tsquale

Brian H

May 25, 2010
Iowa
Ok guys here's the deal, I have 4 more BNIB 5200 series strobe lights just like the ones pictured. They come with the original box and papers just like the ones pictured. They all have red lenses with them and the new switch. I also got 2 extra red lenses and a couple new switches like the one pictured and a base with no strobe or halogen so I'm not sure it's working condition. I had to drive further and pay more this time so here's the shake down

$350 for a set of 2 BNIB lights. I'm not willing to split them up individually right now due to all the interest in them. The lights are first come first serve.

If you have further questions you can email me direct at b_hamman0512@hotmail.com. I don't check my messages on here often.

Brian H

May 25, 2010
Iowa
Did I scare everyone off or what? I still have 4 BNIB beacons. Willing to negotiate on the price some but I've got to recoup my money also

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Did I scare everyone off or what? I still have 4 BNIB beacons. Willing to negotiate on the price some but I've got to recoup my money also
You just hit that magic number (>$250) where our wives notice that we bought it.  :)

Brian H

May 25, 2010
Iowa
Can't help I think they guy was on to me when I bought the rest of them and charged me more. Empire you offered a price lower than what the first 2 sold for aorry

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Some pics of the blue ones might perk people up again.... 

Brian H

May 25, 2010
Iowa
Here is a picture with all 4 lights. One has never been opened and still in the original box until this afternoon I did open it to verify that it was inside. I have no blue domes only red

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oct 5, 2013
TX
I can go $250 for a pair with 1 switch.

FYI, Usually a capacitor's uncharged shelf life is about 10 years.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
FYI, Usually a capacitor's uncharged shelf life is about 10 years.
To be reliable yes,10 years is pushing it.  For collectibles, most of mine (even NIB) seem to work usually when I get them.   I'm 90% working rate on 20 year plus strobes, and 100% on 10 year ones.  What you are saying is totally true, and not using them worsens this.  Here is some info on it:

"Strobe light power supplies are meant to be used, not remain in an inactive state. Use them at all times this improves their proper functioning. Any strobe light power supply that has been out of service for long period of time is subject to failure because the electrolytic condenser loses the polarity formation. A strobe light power supply not having been used for one year or longer is vulnerable to failure. In this case it is recommended you disconnect all flash tubes and start operating the system on a voltage that is reduced 25% for 10-15 minutes before putting the power supply into normal service. This will prevent overheating of the condenser while they reform. If the power supply, after a long period of nonuse is operated at full voltage immediately, there is an excellent possibility that the condenser will become overheated and fail."

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I just replaced my bench supply and tested mine, they work great.  Now back in the box with them.

Reactions: Brian H
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.