3 Mode Cannon in hi-beam headlight housing

WA8IQO

Jun 24, 2011
N-A
Considering replacing the high beam bulb in our Chevy Impala's with a Colored/Clear combo. Not looking to drill holes in side of housings. Just want to remove OEM lamp and mount the cannon in the original hole.

Has anyone used the 3-mod cannon in a hi-beam headlight position?

Is it bright enough to replace the actual halogen bulb and still function adequately for normal driving use as a high beam?

Did you used the single color or was it the dual color model?

Please share your performance experience?

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Nope wouldn't recommend using it as a high beam light. I have the dual color for a reverse light and they work excellent for that.

If u are looking for forward warning use a grill light. I

Reactions: Tom@Feniex

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
Although not fan of replacing OEM lighting, reverse lights arent a big deal.

If you can go into the signal light bulb area, that is usually where I hit up as you get a better light output.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
At some point Im sure Tom will chime in and confirm this: but no, I would not recommend replacing high beams with a cannon. Secondary lights are fine; turn signals, s/t/t, etc

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Expanding on my last post:

Im at a stretch here as all of this is a "as memory serves" however; why shouldnt you use a cannon for OEM headlights? Because they arent rated for that. While they are SAE rated, that comes with being used as prescribed, in a manner of speaking. Headlights (again, IIRC) fall under NHS standards, which cannons dont meet.

Slightly off topic; if youre looking for quality replacement LEDs for headlights, look no further than Lifetime LED. Many users of the board have them, myself included; and they are hands down the BEST bang for your buck.

I hope all this helps :thumbsup:

Reactions: Hoff and Tom@Feniex

Tom@Feniex

May 21, 2015
Austin, Texas
You got me Phoenix_Rising! :) Yes, I don't recommend trading out your OEM highbeams with any LED warning product out there. As bright as the single color Cannons are (I don't believe there are any competitors out there that could compete with our 12 diode system. I could be wrong) they wouldn't be able to get the distance of a standard halogen bulb could. The reason I say this  because the design of the highbeam bulbs projects the light downwards so that light deflects upwards and out. 

If you are looking for an effective yet efficient way to utilize the Cannons I recommend mounting them facing forward exteriorly. Hope this helps. 

Reactions: Phoenix_Rising

WA8IQO

Jun 24, 2011
N-A
Awww, I'm bummed now. I thought it was a cool idea. So, everyone would be OK with mounting them in the hibeam as a secondary lightheaded as long as the OEM remains in place... Thanks for the input.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Awww, I'm bummed now. I thought it was a cool idea. So, everyone would be OK with mounting them in the hibeam as a secondary lightheaded as long as the OEM remains in place... Thanks for the input.

Here are a couple of recommendations I give most people and some things I typically don't do when mounting cannons (or laws of any kind):

1 - Avoid putting them in extremely large light housings. (such as most headlamp areas for low beams and high beams) The larger the area, the less "pop" the LAW gives out. If you have smaller housing options, use them!

2 - Avoid putting them in a housing that emits your low beam or high beam. Why compete with the brightest lights on your vehicle? Most LAWs can do just fine in competition with them, but here is the thing: Warning and attention getting is = to one thing.... contrast.  We prefer "bright" because it gives us contrast from whats not bright.  If you are putting it in a housing with one of these bulbs you are going to get some wash out and significantly lessen the amount of contrast. I don't know about you, but I'm not rich... I can't afford to spend money on something and not get the most out of it. 

3 - We have always tried to put the LAW as close to the "focal point" of the reflectors in a light housing for the longest period of time. This to me is not the standard answer anymore for a few reasons:

A - Some of the LAWs operate at extremely high temperatures. Putting them directly next to another             extremely hot bulb is begging to shorten a life span of either device. I've seen multiple brand                    LAW's (Yes, of all brands) melt before. Most people blame this on the the LAW being "defective"             but it really isn't.  Do you really expect something made of a plastic based compound to not melt             when exposed to heat in the 125-200 degree range?! Some bulbs get extremely hot (even more true        for headlight bulbs.) If you couple that with the fact that the housings are sealed (and in turn holds in        all heat,) you have a little oven.

B - Oh did we forget to mention that the reason we put it so close to the focal point is so that we have           reflect the light being admitted back into the wall of the housing where the light itself is inserted? You      are essentially aiming more heat in some cases back on the lighthead itself. (Think of using a                    magnifying glass to melt something using the sun.)  If you prefer to cook stuff, sure.... mount it there.

C - Housings are very different these days. The shapes our our vehicles now somewhat dictate the                shape of the light housings.  Some of them are not always geared to distribute light evenly, as much       as they just designed to avoid keeping light from going somewhere it shouldn't.  The sharp angles and    small natures of some housings lead us to one conclusion, the spot where the bulb is might be ok, but   if you move off center from that just a hair you are rendering the light ineffective.  Put some thought into   your location.  Study the light reflector and make your best guess as to where the light form your LAW     should be coming form. Next to the bulb is not always the best answer these days. Don't just assume it   is.

D - LAW's these days have a variety of ways they emit their light. If you already bought something, pay attention to what you bought and take that into consideration when looking for a mounting point. If you havn't bought your laws, study the intended light housing (Be sure to look at the back of the housing so you KNOW there is nothing that will prevent you from mounting where you want) and determine which is the best LAW for your desired location. 

I know I havn't said everything... but I'm tired and going back to bed. Only got up to let the dogs out for a minute and saw this post.  

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
There should be some videos/pics on here of users replacing high beams with the lifetime LEDs. If you are dead set on using LEDs in the high beams, that is the way to go.

Reactions: Station 3

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
As previously mentioned, I have them and I cant imagine ever going back to halogen. Pic shows them on low beam.

ai1325.photobucket.com_albums_u626_aphoenixrising13_41772458_4f2a062f34e9c3e1f0e8118478c5fd4ab.jpg

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I want some lifetime headlamp LEDs for my 2013 F-150 but I was told that they are not a perfect fit and would not work by someone that had purchased some before....... Is this true?

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
I want some lifetime headlamp LEDs for my 2013 F-150 but I was told that they are not a perfect fit and would not work by someone that had purchased some before....... Is this true?
Should ask Joe (MEVS) he could probably answer that

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I looked at an f150 today and I might have to do some cutting to get them in

I had to do some major cutting on a suburban to get them in. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435880454.092403.jpg

This is one of my test vehicles. At around 30sec the single color white cannons are put into steady burn. At about 31sec they auto dim cutting out 6 of the 12 LEDs which prevents overheating.

This was taken after only 6hrs of work on the first day of install. It's changed a lot in the past year.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.