6v vs 12 volt issues

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I have been collecting a lot of 6 volt lights and sirens. They tend to be easier to buy (less competition) and they also tend to be the older ones. Ran into an interesting issue I had not thought about.

Trying to wire up my new 6volt 184, I am having trouble getting enough amps to it. 4 - 35 watt bulbs plus the motor is drawing quite a few amps. 6 volts apparently require more amps than 12 volt does.

Watts / Voltage = Amps.

SO
A 35 w bulb running on 12 volts pulls 2.91 amps.
A 35 w bulb running on 6 volts pulls 5.83 amps.

Therefore

A 4 bulb 12volt 184 only needs 11.6 amps just for the lights.
A 4 bulb 6 volt 184 needs a whopping 23.33 amps just for the lights.

Trying now to figure out how much amperage the motor needs because 30 amps, which is the most I can give it is having trouble powering the lights and the motor. At this point I am probably going to have to wire up the motor and lights separately to keep the amperage down and get plenty of power.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
If I were in your position, I would purchase a 6-volt battery. You could purchase a large automotive battery if you choose, or you could purchase something smaller like small security-light battery and use it in concert with your 6-volt power supply.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Im in no way an electrical engineer and am sure someone will flog me for suggesting this........

You could run it on a 12v power supply if you install an in line adjustable voltage regulator (think similar to a model train set). Allow the volts to come up a bit to compensate for amp consumption. I would think 8-9vdc shouldn't(?) wreck the motor or bulbs if you're just running it for 5-10 minutes at a time.

Easiest solution would be to find a 6v battery and charger. Use the battery to run it and keep it charged up.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I use those 12 volt to 6 volt ( 30 amp) "step down" converters

I have a 12v to 6v stepdown 30amps, but 30 amps is about maxing out. That's my problem. Can't find any stepdowns over 30 amps. What I am thinking of is two 20 amp step downs one connected to motor and one connected to the lights. Essentially that gives me plenty of power for both.

If I were in your position, I would purchase a 6-volt battery.

I've thought about the battery option, but how often am I going to run it vs how long will the batter last just sitting.

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I hear ya. Come to think of it Im not sure if I tried running a 4 bulb with motor on a 30 amp 6V converter. The things I run work fine on those converters but then Im not pulling that many amps like you are.

Reactions: Skulldigger

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Im not sure if I tried running a 4 bulb with motor on a 30 amp 6V converter.

First time for me. I have some two bulbs, mostly smaller sirens. I can spin a 5-1/2" siren with no issue with a 30 amp, but it's just a single motor. I think my issue is four of those nearly 6 amp bulbs.
Something else I might try is going to 25 watt bulbs. That would drop my amps by almost 7 amps. Inside display should not matter too much.

Reactions: kerry4951

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.