911 Galaxy Modules - Using them independently

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Quick question, I'm sure some 911EP experts on here will know:

I'm tearing apart a beat up Galaxy hoping to part it out. On the modules, there's only one wire with an audio style connector. Can these modules be wired to a flasher and used outside the bar (ie as interior lights, push bumper lights, etc.)? I quickly tried to ground the mounting screw and apply power to the audio jack but got nothing. I didn't want to try anything else.

Also, does anyone know what the inside of the wires look like? Crazy thought but I was thinking those connectors would make awesome quick connects for other projects, so if I don't get much money for the parts I was considering cutting off all the connectors with some extra lead wire then using them for other stuff. Just wanted to make sure it was standard wire and not some crazy kinda wire.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, John

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
911EP made the Galaxy modules as a standalone unit. As for one directly from a bar, that I do not know.

Edit: Ok apparently the file size is 2.84 GB and the board limits attachments to 2GB.

Attaching a screen shot of the PDF

galaxy modules.PNG

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Zapp Brannigan said:
911EP made the Galaxy modules as a standalone unit. As for one directly from a bar, that I do not know.

Edit: Ok apparently the file size is 2.84 GB and the board limits attachments to 2GB.

Attaching a screen shot of the PDF

View attachment 69073

Come on Zapp, you're the 911EP guru here, thought you would've known this! Haha.

I have one module that has one of the two lights burnt out, so I think I'm just gonna start experimenting and see what happens, not too concerned if I mess that one up. I might cut that weird connector off and see if there's an actual wire inside, and make sure it's not like two wires inside.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Firefly Berlin said:
Hi John,

if you have a alley module you'd sell please let me know. ;)

Yes, one of mine is completely busted, but the other one appears fine. Wasn't able to test the alleys/takedowns while on the bar, but if you wanna give it a shot, $5 plus shipping. I know on the two wires that come off of it, one has a quickconect and the other goes straight into the board. I can cut the one in the middle so you can quick connect it. Or for $15 plus shipping, I'll just send you the whole board with alley light attached.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Fighting17th said:
Come on Zapp, you're the 911EP guru here, thought you would've known this! Haha.

I have one module that has one of the two lights burnt out, so I think I'm just gonna start experimenting and see what happens, not too concerned if I mess that one up. I might cut that weird connector off and see if there's an actual wire inside, and make sure it's not like two wires inside.

Send it to Wilson, or PM him! I am 99.99% sure he can fix it for you!!

http://elightbars.org/forums/f99/whelen-light-emitting-diode-conversions-multiple-models-repair-56239/

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I know the LSTARs and the Galaxy modules have that audio jack type connector, but I have never owned a Galaxy (although I would like one, some day), don't know how that jack is wired up, or anything else about them. I just know they had a central flasher unit.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Pretty much the only thing I dont have! :(

I have red and blue modules and all the other components from the bar.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
Fighting17th said:
Quick question, I'm sure some 911EP experts on here will know:

I'm tearing apart a beat up Galaxy hoping to part it out. On the modules, there's only one wire with an audio style connector. Can these modules be wired to a flasher and used outside the bar (ie as interior lights, push bumper lights, etc.)? I quickly tried to ground the mounting screw and apply power to the audio jack but got nothing. I didn't want to try anything else.

Also, does anyone know what the inside of the wires look like? Crazy thought but I was thinking those connectors would make awesome quick connects for other projects, so if I don't get much money for the parts I was considering cutting off all the connectors with some extra lead wire then using them for other stuff. Just wanted to make sure it was standard wire and not some crazy kinda wire.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, John

Yes you can use these with a external flasher. What you need to do is cut the little jack plug off and it will give you 2 wires a red & a blk. But if you have any pods that are split colors they will flash together. You cannot make them alternate.

These can also be mounted outside to.

Hope that helps.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
elite907 said:
Yes you can use these with a external flasher. What you need to do is cut the little jack plug off and it will give you 2 wires a red & a blk. But if you have any pods that are split colors they will flash together. You cannot make them alternate.
These can also be mounted outside to.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info! That's what I was thinking, that there was probably 2 wires inside of that cable, but I wasn't sure. I might try it with the one with the one side LEDs blown just to test it out.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
Just got what was left of one of these for a parts bar. I cut the audio type plug off & there are 2 wires (power & ground; red/black) & they will steady burn that way.

Problem I have are the corners...how do you get those to come on with JUST power & ground? I looked at them out of the lens & there are power & ground wires jumping all over in different places & its' quite confusing especially not having all the parts.

I have the epoxy sealed flashers(??) in each endcap with the 6 wire connectors on each end.

The corner LEDs have wires soldered to them & are labeled + & - so I tried that...& I believe I blew 2 LEDs doing it that way...

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
ChargerLighting said:
Just got what was left of one of these for a parts bar. I cut the audio type plug off & there are 2 wires (power & ground; red/black) & they will steady burn that way.

Problem I have are the corners...how do you get those to come on with JUST power & ground? I looked at them out of the lens & there are power & ground wires jumping all over in different places & its' quite confusing especially not having all the parts.

I have the epoxy sealed flashers(??) in each endcap with the 6 wire connectors on each end.

The corner LEDs have wires soldered to them & are labeled + & - so I tried that...& I believe I blew 2 LEDs doing it that way...

Ahh I completely forgot about this thread and forgot to update it. I ended up messing around with some parts from my Galaxy parts bar after I posted this. I did cut the audio plug off of one of the regular modules, and found the red and black wires to steady burn. I didn't want to risk ruining the corner modules so I didn't mess with them at all. After all, there's really no use for them on anything I could think of, as they'd probably look weird. I ended up selling everything from the bar (I think I still have the endcap metal pieces and maybe a few other parts) but all the modules are gone, so I can't test anything now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.