911ep STAR 360 perm to mag discussion

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Long term wanted, as I believe this is discontinued. Looking for a 911ep STAR 360 led beacon, preferably white/red, but all red or all white is doable. No blue. Also would prefer magnetic mount, but I can alter myself so again, permanent is doable. Please PM if you have one and asking price. I know what the used to retail for, so please be realistic.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Long term wanted, as I believe this is discontinued. Looking for a 911ep STAR 360 led beacon, preferably white/red, but all red or all white is doable. No blue. Also would prefer magnetic mount, but I can alter myself so again, permanent is doable. Please PM if you have one and asking price. I know what the used to retail for, so please be realistic.

I have a new, out of box, solid red one (clear dome). No magnet. $100 shipped.

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Great Scotty! That was fast. Could you by any chance send me a picture of the bottom? Oh and, in your opinion: bright, or so-so?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Great Scotty! That was fast. Could you by any chance send me a picture of the bottom? Oh and, in your opinion: bright, or so-so?

Absolutely. I am working until 1830, then I can send you one. I think they are comparable to the Whelen L32, but I prefer their "rotator" pattern so I would take the 911ep all day.

Reactions: Tony P and 7d9_z28

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Thanks. I'm trying to determine how to make it removable. I could 2 ton apoxy a magnet, but I'm trying to find a suction cup or combo instead.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Looking at the mag in the one you found, it makes me wonder if the base is already notched out for it under the plate. I'll go check ... Standby.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Good news! It's already notched to route the cable that way. Just push the current plate off the plug and plug that in and viola!!rsz_img_20160121_202256309.jpg rsz_img_20160121_202307959.jpg rsz_img_20160121_202319045.jpg

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Epic. Alright payday is next Friday, and I'll be purchasing. I have a few Whelen magnets that came with my responder LP. Pretty sure I can adapt one for this, or buy one. Meant to ask, does this have a switched cigar plug or hardwire style cut cord?

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Oh and I see the circular bit with the prongs on the flat plate. Does the wire have the prongs as well? Trying to see how to remove that plate and reconnect it without.

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
One last question for you actually - got any recommendations for where to look for a magnet? Just realized the whelen ones I have don't have the thinner middle part to accommodate being bolted/washered to the middle bolt, meaning I'd have to apoxy or glue it, which could be problematic down the road.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
To answer your questions:
1. Hardwire, no cig plug
2. The plug connector detaches from that base plate. You can then slide the base plate down the rest of the cable to remove it.
3. I would check amazon or eBay for magnets.

Last edited:

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Hey guys!, I have one of these I grabbed from the site a year or so back that has a mag, I will dig it out for a pic of the bottom. Im pretty sure it's a converted perm mount. It's boxed up and hiding currently, I'll dig it out sat.. :cool:

Reactions: Frooom

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
2. The plug connector detaches from that base plate. You can then slide the base plate down the rest of the cable to remove it.

So, you can take the plug connector plate off, but how do you re-attack the wire to the plug inside the light - does the wire have its own plug?

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
So, you can take the plug connector plate off, but how do you re-attack the wire to the plug inside the light - does the wire have its own plug?

I wrote that poorly. The plug stays attached to the cable but the plug is able to separate from that base plate. The base plate is what you need to remove for the magnet.

Reactions: StEaLtH2

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Yeah I've seen them in stock at a few places, but this is the place I trust. :) Thanks tsquale. I'm definitely buying next Friday - right now it's a case of working out how to mount it, so I guess maybe the thread needs to move to the technical/how to side of things. StEaLtH2, looking forward to the pictures/info!

Reactions: Bill Boyd

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
I really really really had to hold back a smartass answer :D that would be awesome - specifically interested in depth and diameter of the center area (depth not as much). If possible, diameter of the middle bolt would be great. I really think the strobesnmore magnet will work since it's tapered in the middle and I can get bolts with tapered heads.

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
For the record, this is going on a nissan juke to give some 360 help to the slimlighter in the front. Let me tell you, the roof slope on the nissan juke is a HUGE PITA for finding beacons or mini lightbars that wont be angled at the sky/ground.....

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Awesome, I'm going to measure one of my whelen magnets when I get home, including housing if I still have it, see if it's a fit. Worst case, I'll buy that 90lb one...that sucker ain't gonna move. Anyone have advice on what to put between magnet and vehicle that won't negate bond strength but will protect paint?

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Well, me an my big mouth. My light is a perm mount which came with a cig plug already attached, but there is not a magnet on it yet. The old memory ain't what it used to be. So mine looks exactly like T's light on the underside. Looks like we both will be converting over to mag mount froom. Lol

Reactions: Tony P

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
That's alright. Gonna get the magnet from strobes n more since the center channel has a taper, see if a tapered head bolt will fit (or a nylon plug/washer). As for the cigarette plug, can anyone verify what wires are in the cord? I assume red, white, black, which means I can get a plug from AWL or something and just hook it up.

Thanks!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
There are quite a few actually. Power, ground, flash pattern, mode 1, mode 2...iirc. I already have this boxed for you pending payment haha

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
That sound good actually. I'm probably gonna have to find a PDF or something else so I know which wire is which (been trying, can't find one). I lack the necessary test tools to figure it out. Are these protected from incorrect wiring? I doubt I'll get this right the first try.

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Then it occurred to me, if I buy a pre-wired plug with a cut cord, I don't have to wire the actual plug itself, which is a PITA depending on how they set up the blades, so I'll just buy http://goo.gl/dv5maV (shortened URL). These things had an amber running light mode, right? Would that be mode 2?

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
Kind of. The amber LEDs face straight up without any optics. They're more meant for night time so aircraft can more easily locate the unit. I'm my opinion they aren't that effective.

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
Hahah thanks. So ultimately if I buy a 3 wire plug, it's power + mode 1 to plug power, ground to plug ground, and pattern change to plug 3rd wire.

My only concern was where the switching occurs. I don't want to wire this sucker with a 3 wire plug and find out the momentary has funky wiring...

Reactions: tsquale

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.