9308NLED

tow truck

Aug 31, 2018
wi
looking for information on a whelen 9308NLED its 72" with 8 -700 series 5mm lightheads and a halogen traffic clearing light. The wires are cut short but consists of 8 wires of the same gauge. Thanks for your time

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
First, here is some info on one that a member had.

Here is some 2001/2002 catalog info
2002led2.JPG
2002led.JPG
These bars were pre-freedom and used 5mm 700 series LEDs in a firemaster edge frame. They often had a halogen piercealert in the center.

As far as wiring them, they were all different. Some had a black ground for the main lights and a white with black stripe or black with white stripe ground for the center option. Some had one ground. Everything that is not a ground turns on a pair or two of LEDs. If you can post a harness pic i can decode it for you pretty fast.

DCFD used these (no center option), here are some videos

tow truck

Aug 31, 2018
wi
thanks JohnMarcson i did see that earlier post was hoping to find a wiring diagram w/o having to open the bar up. picked the bar up monday night but won't be able to do anything til i get home this weekend. The factory has been trying to help but all they come up with is the strobe version. At first I was told it wasn't a valid model # I guess alot of their records were lost so that's why I'm reaching out here

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
thanks JohnMarcson i did see that earlier post was hoping to find a wiring diagram w/o having to open the bar up. picked the bar up monday night but won't be able to do anything til i get home this weekend. The factory has been trying to help but all they come up with is the strobe version. At first I was told it wasn't a valid model # I guess alot of their records were lost so that's why I'm reaching out here
Whelen often forgets that they made some hybrid LED bars with 5mm leds while the Freedom was in the works. I can tell you how to hook it up if I can see the harness. The strobe version wiring is a bit different. The 700 5mm LEDs, unlike the early linear LEDs in the Freedom and Patriot, did not need a special power supply or ballast. They were run off of basic flashers, usually 2 or 4 to a flasher.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Never mind, I found the wiring guide. Despite what Whelen says, they made it.

Here is a PDF and some pics from it, looks like each pair had their own ground and power. Regardless, this is the stock configuration for wiring.
hk.JPG

ledgewhook.JPG

ledge5.JPGledge4.JPG

Attachments

• LED EDGE NFPA.pdf
    358.2 KB · Views: 2

tow truck

Aug 31, 2018
wi
Never mind, I found the wiring guide. Despite what Whelen says, they made it.

Here is a PDF and some pics from it, looks like each pair had their own ground and power. Regardless, this is the stock configuration for wiring.
View attachment 241056

View attachment 241055

View attachment 241053View attachment 241054
Thanks john opened it this a.m. and that's what i have. The forward facing heads are unique as the have the outer leds at a 45 angle the pierce alert has a spot in the gear were it studders but still functions. Thanks again for the help

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Not a problem. I find it funny that Whelen forgets they made this bar in the space between the edge and the freedom. DC FD still has a few in service. Also of note is that there were micro edges with the 45 degree 5mm heads for longer; a few years before and after this bar. Enjoy the bar.

$(KGrHqV,!nME9g(F02SzBPqbwHjg+Q~~60_3.JPG$(KGrHqR,!qoE-Z(JsHVzBPqbqqthL!~~60_3.JPG$(KGrHqV,!rcE-Yvkpe)NBPqbq,eyVQ~~60_3.JPG$(KGrHqRHJEcE-kMEUcD7BPqbqC59f!~~60_3.JPG$(KGrHqV,!lcE-lETJkBLBPqbpWMeUw~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!qsE-ZVl00)sBPqbogSO,!~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!h4E-ZeHG4TfBPqbqBGZhw~~60_3.JPG

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!p!E9dPWvJ5-BPqbv2sEe!~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqZ,!p!E9dPWvJ5-BPqbv2sEe!~~60_3.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.