97 GMC Yukon

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
This truck has gone thru a variety of equipment. I have everything setup with amp/mate plugs for easy exchange when I feel the need to 'switch it up.' It's used for vollie SAR/traffic control. Everything is LED.

Front:

Whelen LAW kit - c/c

6 Whelen LINz6 - 2 blue, 2 amber in the grille, 2 blue on the sides of the front LP

Whelen LIN6 Mirrorbeams - blue/blue, 'dumb' heads flashed off a D2 flasher, sync'd to front lights

RVM - changes/varies. Pics show 2 dual talons, each blue/amber, but took one down. Have a blue/blue one there currently.

Side (sync'd with rear):

Had a D2 Dominator on each side with TIR3 4 wire modules in there so I could control them separately, blue/amber. But, as of this last week, it has a TIR6 out each side, blue.

Rear (sync'd with side):

Whelen D4 Dominator - specially wired for a 6 lamp arrow with end TIR3s, blue.

Whelen LINZ6 - rear LP mounted vertically, blue/blue.

Whelen Vertex - red/red in the parking light area of the tail light

For the top, I have the quick connect setup, so I've had full size bars on it, but currently running either 2 Whelen LP Responders in blue/amber or a mini freedom, blue corners with 5mm amber centers. Bars are mag mount and harnesses are adapted to the quick connect, so I don't have wires coming in the door.

I've also got a Whelen D8-48in Dominator for above the back doors. Just installed another quick disconnect box on the rear to plug into, I previously had to drape cord to the front quick disconnect box, which was a pain. Magnetic mounts. Same setup as inside, 6 lamp arrow with end blue TIR3s. Reasoning, driving around in the winter time, the back window covers quickly with snow, leaving me with just the vertexes and LINZ6s. I'll also use it when running traffic on some of the areas main arteries, where just that little extra punch is needed.

All controlled by a SS2000SM, which is mounted in the rear storage area. I have a quasi-lightbar cable running from the front/hood to the rear/amp, with a splice area by the driver's floorboard. Makes it easy to switch things up.

pos 1 - amber LINZ6, aux1

pos 2 - aux2, aux3, aux4,

pos 5 - aux5

aux1 - corner leds

aux2 - front blue grille/mirrorbeams

aux3 - rear, side blue

aux4 - RVM light

aux5 - primary/lightbar

Also installed is a Kenwood TK-8180 mobile, Motorola AstroSpectra P25 mobile, and Yasue 2m. I have 4 NMOs on the roof, 3 VHF and 1 UHF, all 1/4 wave. 4th antenna ends by the Panavise bracket on the dash, where I can hook up a scanner or a portable radio (like my work XTS5000 before I installed the Spectra). I left it there 'just in case.'

6 switchbox by the storage area controls 3 outlets on front (4th is constant power). Switch 4 turns ignition items on from the battery, for when the vehicle is off. Switch 5, same as 4, but for ignition. Switch 6 cuts power to the SS, but keeps the radios on (aka, no accidental woo-woo).

Console is self made with Havis faceplates. It was a PITA and took the better part of 6 months to get done. It turned out pretty good, there's one area in the upper left corner where I don't like the seam, but it's minor.

Like I said, my truck is constantly varying. It's like a tinker toy... :oops: :mrgreen:

Console pics, pre carpet:

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Console1.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Console2.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Console3.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Console4.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Console7.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Console6.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Console5.jpg

Console pics, post carpet/installed:

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Organizerfar.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Organizer.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Organizerstorageopen.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Organizerfront.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Organizerdriversside.jpg

Truck:

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Truck.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Truckfront.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Grille.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Grilleclose.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Dominators_both.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_RearLPTIR3.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_SideDominatorExterior.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_SideDominatorInterior.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_SpeakersHLFwiring.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_SS2000SMAmp1.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_SS2000SMAmp2.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_Rearcompartment1.jpg

ai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_LBconnector_truck3.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_LBconnector_truck2.jpgai667.photobucket.com_albums_vv36_rwo978_Truck_20Install_th_LBconnector_truck1.jpg

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Well, after all the BS in the vollie group, I finally got fed up and pulled the plug.... 1 week after re-doing all the wiring and splicing. :x :roll: Nearly everything has been pulled. Some I left in for work (remember, LEO fulltime), as the financial gain of selling it would be so small, and the very remote possibility of a natural/manmade disaster. Also going to install a 80K I got for next to nothing. Had the HAW parts on hand and had holes in the housings to fill.

I left the exterior quick connect boxes , the NMO antennas (1 UHF, 1 VHF, and 2 800 mHz masts) only because I MAY put a radio back in, a HLF, a TLF, and re-installed a strobe HAW kit, replacing the LAWs. I'd like to get a plow for this, hence the HAWs. Also keeping my amber Responder LED LP.

If anyone wants the console, it's FS. Would match a vehicle with tan interior. I think it's 10 in x 12 in x 17 in, but I'd have to re-measure. S&H would be the biache' though.

EMT

May 22, 2010
NYC, NY
ALWAYS keep a mega-sized-bag of sour patch kids in your console. THAT'S how everyone should roll.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
EMT said:
ALWAYS keep a mega-sized-bag of sour patch kids in your console. THAT'S how everyone should roll.

Actually, that's a package of hand/baby wipes... 3 kids = grubby hands :D

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
rwo978 said:
Actually, that's a package of hand/baby wipes... 3 kids = grubby hands :D
Forget the kids, do you have any idea how well those things remove road grime, engine grease, and all sorts of other automotive messiness from skin??

Makes me wonder what the heck is being used on delicate baby skin, seeing as it works so damn well at tough automotive gunk on hands..

No joke, try it.. works amazingly! :geek:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Yeah, I know. When I get new equipment that needs to be cleaned up, guess what I go to first.... baby wipes. Does miracles to radio faces and controller/switchboxes/sirens. Plus, it makes everything smell 'baby-butt fresh.' :mrgreen:

fireman846

May 22, 2010
indiana, USA
hello i have a 97 gmc also what are you looking to get out of that console? i am ineed of one and do not have the time nor place to build one. thanks.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
fireman846 said:
hello i have a 97 gmc also what are you looking to get out of that console? i am ineed of one and do not have the time nor place to build one. thanks.

Probably in the area of $100 shipped, this thing is heavier than standard metal. Plus, I'd include the 4 outlet cig plug faceplate on the front and the cupholder, only because those areas were custom cut for those faceplates (some notching).

Cupholder - $42

http://www.havis.com/products/CON_ACSY_ ... 2-875.html

4 outlet cig plug - $50

http://www.havis.com/products/CON_ACSY_ ... 6-940.html

If you don't want those parts, I can cut ABS black plastic to cover the holes, mainly the 4 cig outlet one. It'd be about $70 shipped then.

fireman846

May 22, 2010
indiana, USA
you keep the cig outlets and leave the cupholder in place. will it be 70 shipped then? i have a havis in place now with all my switches and radios in it and i have the factory console in there still but i would like to get rid of that and have this in place. oh will you be leaving any of the other face plates/fillers on ther too?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
$85 with the cupholder. No other faceplates, they're in my FS area if you're interested though.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
BST in the BST forums please. Makes it easier to keep track of who is selling what, and when..

Thanks.

ohi007

May 21, 2010
Canton, oh
love that console. keep debating on making one for my f150, and trying to decide how i want to configure it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.