A $30 Advantedge

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
I got this advantedge in April and it pretty much sat waiting for some attention. I gave it a pretty basic lens polish and that was it. For $30 I won't argue.

This is my first advantedge and its best quality is that its quiet. Other than that...well, its quiet. OK it rotates and makes some light...plus its whisper quiet.

This is a horribly ineffective bar, its the only one I have ever been able to look directly at it without any ill effects as it seems to put out about 20cp. At least they put adhesive foil on the bulkheads otherwise there would be no corner warning.

But no matter, its a neat bar and I'm glad to finally have one.

IMG_20141210_000039~2.jpg

IMG_20141210_000550.jpg

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Nice grab for $30! Yes, light output is poor, but they are kind of neat. A lot of different options and combinations for them. 

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
Nice grab for $30! Yes, light output is poor, but they are kind of neat. A lot of different options and combinations for them.
Yes! I know someone well on here getting a pretty loaded strobe/rotator version, plus I have seen the all light 7 rotator versions and they are more adequate. I thought about relensing it in a different color combo. Not sure yet.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I never liked the Advantedge because of its poor light output, but for $30 it is a steal and you could sell it to someone who likes them for quite a bit more.

Skippy

Jul 3, 2010
Florida, USA
Really? They weren't around long before everyone went strobe in my area, but I recall them being plenty bright. Were there different lamp options? The ones I remember were halogen bulbs in the rotator (like a Whelen cadet but much larger reflector).

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
There were quite a few different rotator designs that Whelen crammed into these bars . . . some were much more effective than others. IIRC, the NYC Transit police department used a specific kind of AdvantEdge that had either six or eight rotators and blew everything else out of the water. But other designs were considerably less bright. 

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
There were quite a few different rotator designs that Whelen crammed into these bars . . . some were much more effective than others. IIRC, the NYC Transit police department used a specific kind of AdvantEdge that had either six or eight rotators and blew everything else out of the water. But other designs were considerably less bright. 
Whelen treated the advantedge like the delta.  If you wanted it in there, and Whelen made it, they would put it in there.  There were upper (internal) and lower (external) strobes and halogen flashers, four types of rotators, oscillating lights, "edge guts" options, piercers, opticoms.....

The problem was it was also Whelen's "base model rotator bar".  That meant it was usually a basic four rotator or less basic bar that came with your basic model ambulance or basic fire engine.  As a basic rotator bar they were adaquate for the time.  As a multilevel strobe and halogen combo bar they gave the MX a run for it's money in halogen and crushed it in strobe.

Here are some pics from it.

Whelen

advrotser.jpg

Austin

advserrot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
What could be done is that you could take the bar apart and put some better Whelen rotators in it. It wouldn't be "original" but you could still probably find some period correct rotators that work better. 

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If you want advantedge parts, I have quite a stash. 

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Second level lighting is definitely restricted in the AdvantEdge, just as it is in Federal's StreetHawk/FireHawk.  I think the one thing that diminished its lighting effectiveness with rotators is the fluted lenses in the bar.  Fluted lenses work fine for stationary flashing lights and strobes, but they tend to wash out and eliminate the pop that gives rotating lights their effectiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.