A Cautionary Tale: Goo Gone and Feniex Lenses

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
Things I learned today.
Goo Gone will literally start to dissolve your Feniex lenses. Now I cant speak to all of Feniex's products just the cobra T6s I was using them on. I had some spray tint on the modules of my custom made interior bar and I wanted to remove it as the new tinted windshield I just had installed made the lights quite dim.
Denatured alcohol did nothing to remove the spray tint so I tried Goo Gone as I've had luck with that on tinted lenses. I let the Goo Gone sit for about 15 seconds and then started rubbing the lens with a microfiber cloth. At this point the lens actually started to melt a bit and take off a thin layer of plastic which was now deposited onto the cloth i was using. Now the lens is cloudy and the fluting that the cobra lens once had is totally smooth.
I guess its to the headlight restore kit to try and remove the clouding now. No real point to this post, I just hope this helps others avoid this mistake in the future

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I have used Ronsonol lighter fluid to remove various sticky substances from all sorts of plastic over the years. Even the new formula without naphtha works reasonably well.

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
I have used Ronsonol lighter fluid to remove various sticky substances from all sorts of plastic over the years. Even the new formula without naphtha works reasonably well.
this is good to know. I may have to give this a try next time I do feneix lenses because goo gone is no longer an option. Never had any issue with goo gone and other manufacturers

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Try rain x spray and a paper towel and wipe to remove the sticky residue after removing decals. May need to rub a lil bit and reapply to get the stubborn ones.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.