"A Christmas Story" Blooper

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Ok, so I'm watching A Christmas Story, and Flick just got his tongue stuck to the flagpole (after a breach of etiquette Triple Dog Dare, without the pre-requisite Triple Dare).

So the fire department shows up, and the truck has a Jr Beacon Ray, and what appears to be a Sireno siren, Model 5 or 6? Now, the story is set in the years before World War II, as written by Jean Shepherd (who I used to listen to on WOR 710, on my little 5 transistor radio, under the covers, since my mom wouldn't let me listen to him since he was 'racy', whatever that means).

Since this Federal Sign and Signal product was not introduced until the late 40s, that means this is a BLOOPER!! The siren appears to be correct for the year.

Man, I gotta get a life..........

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The Beacon Ray Model 17 came out, I believe, in 1948. The Jr. Beacon Ray came out in 1958. I think the light in the movie is a Model 17. I don't have a copy of the movie. I'm just going from memory.

Dan

Ben G

May 24, 2010
Ontario, Canada
The fire truck used in that movie is from the Chippawa Volunteer Fire Department, a suburb of Niagara Falls Ontario Canada. The volunteers in Chippawa own that truck and it was an actual piece that ran from their station during that era. I have seen the truck in person and knew one member who worked on it. I believe that the Jr Beacon ray was added after restoration of the truck. They did the same thing with another piece in their collection. Ben

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Phillyrube said:
I know that too, being retired Navy. I can quote My Cousin Vinny, too

did you say yewts?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
mr gambini, what is that, that your wearing in my courtroom?

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
I noticed the light too. As a matter of fact, as soon as I saw the topic of your thread I correctly guessed the subject before looking! Yes we are freaks.

By the way, in the Blue Brothers, during the scene when all of the cop cars (and national guard etc) arrive at the Cook County Courthouse, one of the Mars beacons on one of the cars has a bulb burned out.

And I can quote any scene from the movie Airplane by heart. Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
As I recollect, the movie is set in 1947. Also the Lionel trains in Higbee's window

is a mixture of pre-war (WW2) and post-war. The newer train was a release in

1947 so they got that right. The beacon on the pumper is a Model 17 (I blew up

a frame) and it has a bulb burned out. You only see one lit bulb when it is rotating.

I feel sort of sorry for that apparatus as it is in the movie. Looks like it hadn't been

restored yet and looks a bit worn. The did get the running gear and helmets period-

correct though. Usually movie companies don't pay much attention to the little

details like that.

I'm familiar with the emergency equipment of the era. I originally became a volunteer

in the 1960s and got to ride on stuff like that, that was still in use. And remember

details from when I was younger. Also VERY familiar with the toys and such because

I have been around those for my entire lifetime and now also repair/restore/rebuild

for others as a sideline now that I'm retired.

I love to watch movies to see if the prop master got the details correct. Most today

don't, but a few still pay attention to the small things. I also like watching some of

the cops-and-robbers movies to see if they got the cars and equiment right. Always

funny to hear an electronic siren dubbed on for an older (40s, 50s early 60s) siren.

Sometimes they just dub it in as background (police car passing outside of a window).

Also like to see if sirens are sync'd to the action (most of the time they are not).

Same with weaponry and gunshots...most are REALLY BAD!

Always fun to REALLY watch a movie! :D

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Jean Shepherd wrote most of his short stories based on his childhood during the Depression. Having read most of his stuff, I took the movie as taking place then. Then EngCo4 brought up the Lionel trains, of which I have my sey=t when I was a kid in the 60s, and yes, you have a combo of pre and post WW II. My drive my bride crazy with stuff like bad fireground tactics, bad medical stuff, and bad/stupid cop stuff.

Great flick!!

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
bpollard said:
I noticed the light too. As a matter of fact, as soon as I saw the topic of your thread I correctly guessed the subject before looking! Yes we are freaks.

By the way, in the Blue Brothers, during the scene when all of the cop cars (and national guard etc) arrive at the Cook County Courthouse, one of the Mars beacons on one of the cars has a bulb burned out.

And I can quote any scene from the movie Airplane by heart. Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue

captain over captain dunn and mr roger the navagation officer

Matt C.

May 24, 2010
Covington, Ky
The Radio Orphan Annie decoder pin that Ralphie receives is the 1940 "Speedomatic" model, indicating that the movie takes place in December, 1940. Different decoder badges were made each year from 1935-1940. By 1941, the decoders were made of paper.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
bpollard said:

As far as I'm concerned, that just makes it all the more authentic..

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Stupid, beat up work PC!!

rond

Jan 6, 2011
USA Detroit, MI
every movie I watch I analyze the lightbars, seems to be an overlooked item for movie directors. Good eye though because that one got by me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.