A few of our units at a parade

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Nice trucks. :)

But I watched the video with the sound turned off.

I don't like mechanical sirens on modern fire engines. :x

crhaney

Jun 10, 2010
Russellville, Arkansas
Great looking equipment. Especially like the fact that you had mechanical sirens in order to clear traffic. Hard to beat proven equipment for clearing traffic. Thanks for posting the link to the video.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
crhaney said:
Especially like the fact that you had mechanical sirens in order to clear traffic. Hard to beat proven equipment for clearing traffic.

I still don't buy that argument.

Blade Runner

May 23, 2010
Houston/Katy, Texas
Wailer said:

A quick Googling has shown me that the decibel level of a FedSig Q2 is 123Db at 10 feet, while a FedSig electric siren produces 105. More Db's equal louder, which in turn, equals better at clearing traffic....... It sure seems like a valid argument to me. Besides, a fully wound up Q sounds better than ANY electric siren, hands down.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
nice trucks!

Blade Runner said:
A quick Googling has shown me that the decibel level of a FedSig Q2 is 123Db at 10 feet, while a FedSig electric siren produces 105. More Db's equal louder, which in turn, equals better at clearing traffic....... It sure seems like a valid argument to me. Besides, a fully wound up Q sounds better than ANY electric siren, hands down.

i'm not going to get into the electronic vs. mechanical argument (b/c we all know that there are ppl on the board that prefer each of those over the other), BUT the Q siren being a few db louder (let alone at a small distance of 10 ft) doesn't necessarily make it more effective....i personally love the Q siren, but there are so many ppl that'll keep their foot pressed down on the Q pedal non-stop for virtually the whole response (rather than letting it wind up and down as it's supposed to) and it just sounds like crap and ineffective IMO. plus, there's a reason why you won't find current nfpa 1901-approved rigs that just have a traditional Q siren installed (in other words, nfpa wouldn't just require an electronic for shits and giggles; there clearly is a reason why they require rigs to have the electronic sirens but not necessarily a standalone mechanical siren)

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
The federal Q siren which is what all our units have in my opinion is extremely loud way louder in person than the regular sirens which in all our units is the federal PA 300 which i dont really like since they got the HI-LO on them.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Blade Runner said:
Just out of curiosity, why is all of the text under the video in a foreign language?

We are located in South Texas deep south Texas around 10 min from the mexican border so almost everything down here is in spanish or spanish english mix

crhaney

Jun 10, 2010
Russellville, Arkansas
Wailer said:

No argument, Wailer!! It's a fact! After 27 years in the fire service and more responses than I care to count, I assure you that an electronic siren doesn't cut it as well as a mechanical. Don't need a study, got personal experience in the area. Just because you don't like something, or like something else, it doesn't necessarily make what you like better the best alternative. I respect your like of electronic sirens, but again, from personal experience over many years, I will have to adhere to the fact that the mechanical clears traffic better, makes for a safer response, and gets the public's attention better! Why do you think that they are constantly trying to modify the sounds and waveforms of electronics to make them better heard? Again, no argument here! Just facts and experience!

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I'm curious why FedSig doesn't make the Q so that it would automatically wind up and down like it should, and not rely on people in the truck to manually do that.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I don't buy the argument because if mechanical sirens are much better at 'clearing traffic', then all emergency vehicles would be equipped with them.

And don't feed me that bullshit about fire engines needing mechanical sirens because they're bigger than other emergency vehicles. Police and ambulance services have some vehicles that are just as large and they don't have mechanical sirens.

pdk9 said:
...there's a reason why you won't find current nfpa 1901-approved rigs that just have a traditional Q siren installed (in other words, nfpa wouldn't just require an electronic for shits and giggles; there clearly is a reason why they require rigs to have the electronic sirens but not necessarily a standalone mechanical siren)

What I find disturbing is that there is an increasing number of siren operators using mechanical only, even if the trucks are also equipped with electronic.

Blade Runner said:
... a fully wound up Q sounds better than ANY electronic siren, hands down.

I've heard a fully wound up Q about 35 years ago, and it's a sound I would not want to hear again. It was quite painful to listen to.

nerdly_dood said:
I'm curious why FedSig doesn't make the Q so that it would automatically wind up and down like it should, and not rely on people in the truck to manually do that.

I like that idea, but it'll never happen. There are too many assholes out there who like to run the siren at full speed and make a lot of obnoxious noise.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
pdk9 said:
nice trucks!

i'm not going to get into the electronic vs. mechanical argument (b/c we all know that there are ppl on the board that prefer each of those over the other), BUT the Q siren being a few db louder (let alone at a small distance of 10 ft) doesn't necessarily make it more effective....i personally love the Q siren, but there are so many ppl that'll keep their foot pressed down on the Q pedal non-stop for virtually the whole response (rather than letting it wind up and down as it's supposed to) and it just sounds like crap and ineffective IMO. plus, there's a reason why you won't find current nfpa 1901-approved rigs that just have a traditional Q siren installed (in other words, nfpa wouldn't just require an electronic for shits and giggles; there clearly is a reason why they require rigs to have the electronic sirens but not necessarily a standalone mechanical siren)

I remember seeing a study comparing the sound waves of a Q and an electronic siren, and the Q was able to penetrate vehicle bodies much better than electronics.

pdk9 said:
i personally love the Q siren, but there are so many ppl that'll keep their foot pressed down on the Q pedal non-stop for virtually the whole response (rather than letting it wind up and down as it's supposed to) and it just sounds like crap and ineffective IMO.

Perfect example:

As I explained in the description, I WAS NOT IN CONTROL OF THE Q OR AIR HORNS! The driver of the vehicle was, I only had the electronic. The worst part is, he didn't realize he was doing it until I mentioned something after the call.....He's one of the guys who was a junior when I joined but thought he knew everything and that he had seniority over me because he had been with the company longer. He's now one of the Lt's.....gotta love having more training and experience than the majority of the officers, lol...

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Station 3 said:
We are located in South Texas deep south Texas around 10 min from the mexican border so almost everything down here is in spanish or spanish english mix[/quote:3hwvlhtw]

You are still in America! Make the idiot illegals learn English.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
FireEMSPolice said:
You are still in America! Make the idiot illegals learn English.[/quote:r02w3l31]

Its mandatory to know spanish down here im hispanic so it comes natural but if you donw know spanish i fell sorry for you since that language barrier will be there.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
nerdly_dood said:

All mechanical sirens usually produce the loudest sound when they are at peak speed. My 60's vintage Q drops 10 db in 7 seconds when power is removed and it has great bearings. Many years ago when I worked in a volunteer rescue service in a large urban environment, we had both mechanical and electronic sirens. The mechanical was used on approach to intersections and we tried to time it so the mechanical would be peaked a short time before entering the intersection, not just to clear traffic but to alert the cross traffic. That would be hard to do with a fixed timing device. Electronic siren speakers are very directional compared to mechanical sirens where most of the sound is coming from the ports (sides) of the siren.

Wailer says:"I don't buy the argument because if mechanical sirens are much better at 'clearing traffic', then all emergency vehicles would be equipped with them.

And don't feed me that bullshit about fire engines needing mechanical sirens because they're bigger than other emergency vehicles. Police and ambulance services have some vehicles that are just as large and they don't have mechanical sirens."

I think there are a number of reasons why you do not see more mechanical sirens and in my opinion it is NOT because they are LESS effective than a electronic. Cost, most mechanical sirens have a MSRP of approx $1000.00 +, you can buy 2 200 watt electronic systems for the same price. Power requirements, most electronics will run on a 20 amp circuit, most mechanicals need at least a 100+ amp circuit. Maintenance cost and repair parts are higher for a mechanical. Mounting considerations, its a lot easier to mount a couple 8 pound speakers than a 30+pound hunk of metal. Thats why you do not see more mechanical sirens.

I think the most effective audible warning set-up is a vehicle with both electronic and mechanical sirens. The electronic has the edge on continuous sound output, it stays pretty constant (even though the db output varies depending on tone frequency and speaker design) but the mechanical has the edge on sound output AND distribution in situations that need it.

Jfire1

Jun 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Wailer said:
Nice trucks. :)
But I watched the video with the sound turned off.

I don't like mechanical sirens on modern fire engines. :x

Really?? :roll:

Do you not like modern telephones that you talk into also?

just curious, whats the point that they should have stopped putting a proven siren that moves traffic and safely alerts others on the roads that an emergency vehicle is coming??

Do you not like doors on modern appatatus too? do you still think we should be riding open cab too?? get real man!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Henry455 said:
All mechanical sirens usually produce the loudest sound when they are at peak speed.

Only at close range. It is actually the low frequency sounds of mechanical sirens that are the most effective. Low frequency sounds travel further than high frequency sounds. My most damning criticism of electronic sirens is that many of them (especially current production models) are designed to produce high-pitched sounds. And one reason why electronic siren manufacturers started making high-pitched units is because speakers kept getting smaller and smaller.

Henry455 said:
Most mechanicals need at least a 100+ amp circuit.

Some people claim that the Q can draw that much current, but it wasn't always used on fire engines only. The Q was also used on ambulances during the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s.

Henry455 said:
Mounting considerations, its a lot easier to mount a couple 8 pound speakers than a 30+pound hunk of metal. Thats why you do not see more mechanical sirens.

Other vehicles - cars, pickup trucks, vans, and SUVs - are designed for comfort and style rather than utility. Unfortunately none of them are specifically designed for emergency use, and it's even hard to fit siren speakers into some of them.

Jfire1 said:
Really?? :roll:
Do you not like modern telephones that you talk into also?

just curious, whats the point that they should have stopped putting a proven siren that moves traffic and safely alerts others on the roads that an emergency vehicle is coming??

Do you not like doors on modern appatatus too? do you still think we should be riding open cab too?? get real man!

Mechanical sirens are okay on old open cab fire engines. :mrgreen:

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
We love the Federal Q in our department one of our new trucks got one of those fake Whelen Qs and well it pretty much ruins the whole point of having a fire truck might as well paint it black and white or use it as an ice cream truck or something else because in my eyes it aint a fire truck. Well thats what i think and most of the guys at my station think also since that truck belongs to another station in our department. :lol:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.