A pigtail? I think not

zacmtz7

May 21, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So the company for our installs this is what they produce. A 10 wag cable, then spliced to he'll with 2 more 10 wag wires and a crap load of 14-16 wag leads. All fused with one 50 amp in-line breaker. Ridiculous. The first pic is from a car we just picked up this week. The others are from a charger we got a year ago. Had to redo it with a Blue sea systems breaker box.

ai128.photobucket.com_albums_p185_zacmtz7_4936b198.jpg

ai128.photobucket.com_albums_p185_zacmtz7_38a05f69.jpg

ai128.photobucket.com_albums_p185_zacmtz7_3482c775.jpg

ai128.photobucket.com_albums_p185_zacmtz7_f2241bda.jpg

ai128.photobucket.com_albums_p185_zacmtz7_64472f13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
Holy fire hazard. How the hell to places like this continue to operate?

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
They do because there cheap. And money talks.

It's sad. Just do the job right. I hate it when shops put officers at risk with crapp jobs like this. Some installers should get a fine or jail time I believe.

My .02

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Holy cow! There are rats nests that are more organized than that! Who actually does the installation, a 12 year old kid? No, wait, a 12 year old would likely do a neater job. Wiring like that would be impossible to maintain, much less troubleshoot. :eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Nov 21, 2010
Pelican Rapids, MN
Until I started my company every vehicle in this area looked worse than that. Wire King is right though money talks. I still lose jobs to people with that same level of crap work. The most frustrating part is by the time the customer gets the bill, it was more than my estimate. The other guys have no problem flat out lying on estimates to land jobs. While this is frusterating I believe it will work it self out down the road. Departments remember when they get burned.

zacmtz7- Have you calculate the total amp draw that will be on that Blue Sea fuse block. The input wire looks a little small if the other wires are correct?

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
code4services.com said:
zacmtz7- Have you calculate the total amp draw that will be on that Blue Sea fuse block. The input wire looks a little small if the other wires are correct?
I was thinking the same thing!

zacmtz7

May 21, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Both ground and supply are 6 AWG stranded. The rest of the wires are one gauge bigger than I actually needed in case for future use I need a larger load on a line.

ESU531

May 29, 2010
New Jersey
What was wrong with the first few pics???? Isn't that how they are SUPPOSED to look??? Good God, what a Charlie Foxtrot that is!! The sad part is that up until my department recently switched over to a new company to do our installs, that is the way almost ALL of our cars were. Scary stuff...

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
TritonBoulder47 said:
Looks like a Blue Sea panel...

Ah, ok. It took me a while to find that product line on their website. Now...I just need to find where to order one (and how much $$$).

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
vonirkinshtine said:
Ah, ok. It took me a while to find that product line on their website. Now...I just need to find where to order one (and how much $$$).

Ebay has them... They are a little pricey, but very nice...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.