A 'Sinking' situation

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
This towboat sunk tonight in LeClaire, IA about 1 mile north of I-80 on the Mississippi River. As you can see, the boat is now resting on river floor. Emergency release of barges was performed and this captain brought the vessel as close to shore as safely possible. There are no injuries at this time. Known responders include LeClaire Fire Department, Bettendorf Fire Department Special Service unit, Scott County Sheriff, LeClaire Police Department, The US Corp of Engineers, Ingram Barge Co. and Marquette Transportation. The boat has 1100 gallons of oil and 90,000 gallons of diesel fuel on board. Containment efforts are under way.

IMG_0700.jpg

View attachment 64727

IMG_0697.jpg

What it's SUPPOSED to look like

Stephen_L_Colby(20101128)JManning-3.JPG

IMG_0696.jpg

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Wow - not a sort of incident I've ever been a part of! I bet it would have been interesting to be a part of.

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
Officials believe it hit may have hit an underwater wing dam. They are also considering it might have been a drifting tree.

According to President Obama, it's the Republicans fault it sank. FEMA didn't realize it sunk yet. The environmentalists are suing BP for having their fuel in a boat that is now leaking. PETA is screaming cruelty to snails crushed underneath the ship. Local fisherman are complaining they won't be able to fish out the 'tasty' fish in that water (yuck)... And I'm complaining because the darn thing sank right in front of Antique Archeology (American Pickers) and now we have 2 reasons for people to slam on the brakes and rubberneck for no reason. It's pretty awesome.

Back to seriousness though, a private environmental cleaning crew has been hired by Marquette and they are continuously skimming the water until they either get the leak stopped or it runs out of fuel...

It's definitely interesting to watch now! My house is about 2 blocks away, so have front row tickets. It's supposed to get down to 11 degrees tonight, I feel for the skimmers out there tonight. It's gonna suck. Literally.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
I spy another marked up HMMWV in that last pic. Do you have any more of it and do you know what it is mainly used for?

ClintonPSE

Mar 13, 2013
Clinton, IA
That's the 2nd time I've ever seen that truck. I really don't know what they use it for other than supposedly for winter storm rescue truck. I think its more of the Sheriff's toy than anything else...

Tiller245

Jun 29, 2012
Chester County,PA
ClintonPSE said:
That's the 2nd time I've ever seen that truck. I really don't know what they use it for other than supposedly for winter storm rescue truck. I think its more of the Sheriff's toy than anything else...

That's a bad@$$ toy tho... I want it lol

kd0giz

Jun 8, 2010
New Liberty IA
Drove past there a couple days ago. Heard I think LeClaire or Princeton doing the standbys on the mornings they were pumping it out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.