A strobe unit I have doesn't seem to be bright...

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
I have, well my Father has a Seven Star Electronics Taiwan Dual Flasher Vehicle Strobe and it seems to be somewhat dim.

The info is...

Model: TK-900

Power Rating: 30 Watt

Rated Voltage: 9 - 15 VDC

Rated Current: 1.5 ADC

The unit has 2 tubes per head

I know strobes are not too bright in daylight but should be effective at night. This was not even bright enough to be seen through the factory tinted rear window on the Ford Expedition at night.

Question is this...

Could the electronics be weakening due to age, causing the output to be less than desirable?

Thanks

D

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
30watts sounds good, but, is the power rating input or output? The input is always higher. I suspect that the output is lower, due to the fairly low 1.5 amps draw. You said 2 tubes run off this. If so this cuts the power in 1/2, if they fire at the same time. Are the strobe tubes old? Is the reflector new and shiny, or dull? In what condition is the lens? I am not familiar wth this particular brand, but these are some of the things that effect strobe brightness. Also, red lenses on strobes are the worst as far as letting light through. Red will give you the least effective strobe flash.

Dan

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
OK it has a total of 4 tubes, 2 per side with 2 separate drivers so 2 tubes fire at the same time. The unit is probably in the range of 15 to 20 years old, reflectors are in perfect shape as are the lenses, it isn't used much. It is red and yellow but the red shows more as pink. The output looks to be about the same on both sides.

EDIT:

Power rating does not specify in or out...

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
I had 1 of those about 10 years ago, sorry those lights are not and will not be any brighter, due to manufacturer :( :( . Those were a knockoff of the dashmiser imho

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Hey Rick; was it due to the tubes or the electronics or both? My thought is if I could figure out what is limiting the power, I might be able to upgrade the parts with better...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Shadow-D said:
"Seven Star Electronics Taiwan"
"factory tinted"
There's your problem

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
Andrew I think I might do something else with this setup, maybe finish that LED project I've been working on...

John LOL Yea I know but even through clear glass they seemed dim, I guess it's not just me :)

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
It was a combo of both tubes and the power supply. My opinion its not worth trying to update it. Like another poster advised it wuld be better to get a dashmiser or a flatlighter either are 5 times brighter than the tk .if you want to stay with a strobe model

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Shadow-D said:
Seven Star Electronics Taiwan ...
The info is...

Model: TK-900

TK-900 = junk. Sorry.

and yes, SLK sold these before becoming LLK (LED Light King :) ).

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
JohnMarcson said:
There's your problem

We havent talked about the 7 sucks lights in awhile thought they fell off the face of the earth lol.

wasn't it determined these were nothing but camera flash stobes?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Jarred J. said:
We havent talked about the 7 sucks lights in awhile thought they fell off the face of the earth lol.

wasn't it determined these were nothing but camera flash stobes?[/quote:dci7dyku]

Yeah they are the same type/grade of strobes as camera flash bulbs. Total junk, a grote tail light assembly with a 536 flasher makes a better dash light.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.