Ada Township Fire-Rescue

May 22, 2010
MI, USofA
ne33 said:
Looks like a nice fleet! Are the "medic" units just BLS trucks?

yep. personally, I am not a fan of calling them medics, but it's what the county decided we all should use. they recently decided that everyone should use the same designations for apparatus to reduce possible confusion (prob a good idea), so they all got together and came up with the list. Engine, Medic (a medical only), Rescue (tool box), Ladder, Platform (ladder with platform), etc ... and every dept labels their apparatus with those designations. personally, I would've preferred using squad or something, since, to my knowledge, not a single dept in Kent County operates as "medics," but I had no say in the matter, so ... :p

ohi007

May 21, 2010
Canton, oh
around here, if there is a medic ON THE TRUCK then it is called a medic unit, if not then it is a squad.

example

Medic 15 - als unit

Squad 15 - bls unit

just for what its worth.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Another example of regional terminology. Around here, a (rescue) squad is called a heavy rescue in other parts of the country. An ambulance is a BLS transport, and a (para)medic unit has at least 1 EMT-P (and equipment) on board. A (para)medic engine/truck/squad is that vehicle with at least 1 EMT-P on board, as well as the associated ALS equipment. The less recognized level of care is EMT-I, or CRT-I, and carries the medic designation (at least where I am. In PG, a medic designation is used for an ALS transport with 2 EMT-Ps on board. A paramedic ambulance is staffed with 1 EMT-B and 1 EMT-P. Confused yet?).

May 22, 2010
MI, USofA
yep. I agree - it shouldn't be called a medic unit unles there is a "medic" on board. But, llike I said, they never asked me, so, guess I live with it ... :roll: (Funny thing is, City Fire used to use the designation "squad" and now, instead of "medic," they're using "med squad" - not sure what the deal is with that, but ... :lol: )

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Around here, all fire EMS units must have 2 paramedics to be called a medic, but state law only requires 1 paramedic. The term squad used be for BLS transport units only, but FD has a heavy rescue that they call Rescue and a light duty unit (mostly hand tools and 1st responder equipment they call a squad. One FD is still running a BLS transport unit that they calla squad.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.