Adding momentary _and_ push on/push off to single button in CanTrol?

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Hey folks -

Despite my best efforts at resisting, I finally went with a CanTrol. I've been able to program the amber, blue and combo patterns I was hoping to and it looks awesome. (I'll post vids when It's a little more finished).

Now that I'm fine tuning the system, I got a wild hair and wondered if it was possible to program my alley and takedown lights to have both momentary and on/off functions, preferably 1st push being momentary ("push on / release off") with a 2nd push being "push on", and 3rd push being "push off".

Tried asking this over at the Whelen Command Page at FB with limited reply. The one person who responded to my query made a vague suggestion about using virtuals, which I used to make a cycling pattern for my ILB, but I can't figure out a way to Mom/On/Off using them.

Any ideas?

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Hey folks -

Despite my best efforts at resisting, I finally went with a CanTrol. I've been able to program the amber, blue and combo patterns I was hoping to and it looks awesome. (I'll post vids when It's a little more finished).

Now that I'm fine tuning the system, I got a wild hair and wondered if it was possible to program my alley and takedown lights to have both momentary and on/off functions, preferably 1st push being momentary ("push on / release off") with a 2nd push being "push on", and 3rd push being "push off".

Tried asking this over at the Whelen Command Page at FB with limited reply. The one person who responded to my query made a vague suggestion about using virtuals, which I used to make a cycling pattern for my ILB, but I can't figure out a way to Mom/On/Off using them.

Any ideas?
I have an idea of how to do it, but without programming, and testing it, I can’t tell you exactly. However, here is how I would try it. Set the Takedown button as a momentary button. When that button is pressed, it will turn on the takedowns momentarily and turn on a virtual input, Ill call it TKD ON1. You could set the virtual as a timer, if you wanted the button to go latching within a certain amount of time from the first press. Make another virtual input Ill call it TKD ON2. Then make an event, when TKD ON1 is “on” and the momentary is “on” turn on TKD ON2. Set TKD ON 2 to turn on your TakeDowns and the Takedown buttons output light to “on.” To turn it off, make another event. When TKD ON2 is “on” and the momentary is “on” turn off TKD ON1. Also set the TKD ON1 “off” state to turn off TKD ON2. Then set priorities, TKD ON1 should have a high priority. This might work, it might not, but with a few tweaks, it should be possible.

Reactions: Tango7

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Edit to my last post. If you set TKD ON1 as a timer, it would shut off the latching Takedowns when the timer ran out, so that wouldn’t work right. You would probably have to add a second virtual called TKD ON TIMER that turned on with TKD ON1. And make the event to turn on TKD ON2 to be when TKD ON1 and TKD ON TIMER and the Takedown momentary is on. The rest of the programming would be the same.

Reactions: Tango7

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Edit to my last post. If you set TKD ON1 as a timer, it would shut off the latching Takedowns when the timer ran out, so that wouldn’t work right. You would probably have to add a second virtual called TKD ON TIMER that turned on with TKD ON1. And make the event to turn on TKD ON2 to be when TKD ON1 and TKD ON TIMER and the Takedown momentary is on. The rest of the programming would be the same.
Great place to start. Thanks much.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.