Adding surface mount lights to cargo trailer.

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
I have a 6x10 cargo trailer that I need to add two surface mount amber lights to. Trailer has standard four way flat connector. To make this oem, will I need to change trailer wiring to 7 way wiring, so that when I activate my truck lights, when hooked up the trailer lights will activate also?

Jul 14, 2014
NV
I added a second 2 conductor wire when I added amber lights to a mounted patrol horse trailer. That way someone wouldn't plug it into a vehicle mistakenly and smoke the system.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
we had to do several trailers at work , the problem was that we didn't have dedicated vehicles to tow them, i ended up using all led lights, and put a weather proof switch on the front of the trailer, the lights were wired to the switch, and the switch was wired to the marker light circuit, any vehicle with a flat four connector could tow it and the lights would work, you switched the lights on when you went en-route.

Reactions: StEaLtH2 and Blake

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
solar panel and battery...

CEVS

Jun 1, 2010
NJ
If you are going to put the switch on the trailer I would recommend switching to a 7pin plug and utilizing the 12v constant that is in that instead of connecting to the running light circuit.

Reactions: Blake

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY

That will work just fine. Those who are familiar with trailer wiring could probably purchase a similar pigtail without the junction box for a lot less money, but what you found will do the job.

7 pin trailer wiring diagrams are all over the net. Easy to find and easy to work with.

The 12vdc constant from the tow vehicle gives you a bunch more current if you wanted to hook up interior lights or additional exterior lights. Check your truck's fuse listings, it will tell you how much amperage that circuit is rated for. If you're going to use all LED fixtures, you'll probably never get anywhere close to the circuit's rating. The constant 12vdc to the 7 way connector is called "trailer tow battery charge" in my '12 F250 and it's fused at 25 amps.

Helpful hint: Some light trucks come through from the factory without the fuse for this line installed. You'll want to check that.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
My Trailer package utilizes a 30Amp Maxi Fuse

OK, just understand that's setup for 30 amp surge and not a constant draw. Light truck wiring is just like automotive wiring; it is not meant to pull comparatively large current draws. I think you'd be OK if you kept the total draw at anyone time on that circuit to about half the fuse rating. But that still gives you plenty of current for several more blinkies than you're currently planning.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
to clarify on my suggestion, in our case we were working with smaller single axle trailer that could be pulled by a small suv or even a ranger pickup, if you have a larger trailer or its going to be really loaded down with equipment then going with the 7 way option is a better choice, our trailer were loaded withh spill absorbent pads and containment booms , you could have towed these trailers with a Toyota Camry, we wanted to not limit what volunteers could tow the trailers.

if its a big or heavy trailer maybe you do want to limit who tows it, generally speaking the smaller vehicles are not generally equipped with a 7 way.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.