Adjustable speed MX7000 rotators

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have wanted to make a 2 speed selectable MX7000 bar for a while now. After a bit of testing, I got it done using a Pulse Width Modulator (PWM). The PWM controls the DC motor speed by sending pulses of power to the motor. This keeps up the voltage and torque as opposed to changing voltage to reduce speed. It uses a common power and controls on the ground side. I disconnected the motors ground and ran it to a relay. When the relay is not activated the motor is directly grounded and the rotator spins full speed. When activated, motor control is given to the PWM and its preset speed. Now a single rotator can have 2 different speeds with the flick of a switch. I set up the 2 inboard rotators on the bar in the attached video.

Here is a video link to it in operation

Although the PWM is designed for low voltage dc motors, I was not sure how it would work with a rotator. I tested it on a high speed rotator from a Vector before modifying the MX. I let that rotator run all day, likely longer then the combined runtime the MX will see in the next few years. No heat build up or funny smells during that test.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Good deal!

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I really dig this! That's my kind of project. Making "dumb" vintage things smarter. :) I really like it! I'd put it through a slide-switch so you can have a Slow-Warning when parked, and a faster warning when underway. Very creative!

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
maybe its just me or perhaps the angle, but I don't see much of a difference warning wise between your fast and slow speeds.. would be interesting to see if the sweeps are any different for attention getting with a faster or slower speed...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.