Advice needed for mounting my first lightbar (Whelen Mini Edge)

Stimpy911

Nov 23, 2011
USA / Michigan
Vehicle: 2004 Ford Explorer

Lightbar: Whelen Mini Edge with Mag Mounts.  Its not LED but it was FREE which makes it even better right now.  lol

This is my first attempt at installing a light bar.  I am only running the wires at this point.  I am just getting ready for someone else to do the electrical part of the install.  I am going to drill a hole in my roof and I want to run the wire down the inside of the door to the middle console.  I am going to put in a HAVIS console for a 2004 Explorer once I have enough money to do so.

I am not worried about drilling a hole in my vehicle roof.  I do not plan on trading this vehicle in or selling it.  It has 140,000 miles on it.

Questions:

1.  What type of drill bit should I use to drill the hole?

2.  What type of sealant should I use around the wire going into the hole?

3.  Any suggestions about the best way to wire inside a Ford Explorer?

4.  Any tips for placement of the lightbar on my roof using MAG Mounts?

Anything else you can think of?

I plan on installing my siren at some point too but that will be a later topic.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

lightbar1.jpg

lightbar2.jpg

lightbar3.jpg

lightbar4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Take the light to the hardware store and find a grommet that the cable will go through. And pick up a small tube of clear silicone.

Then find out what size hole you'll need. Most likely will need a hole saw.

Before any drilling you'll need to remove the headliner makes it easier to run the wire through the roof and less likely to drill a hole in it.

While you're in there taking the headliner down decide how you want to run the wire most likely down the pillar take of the trim off for that.Now once you done all that you can decide where you want the light to sit.

Drill the hole according to the size needed clean up around it after drilling.

When you to put the grommet in put a ring of silicone around the hole and install the grommet and tun it around to work the silicone around. Pass the cable through the grommet when you're close to the bar and it's sits flat with your finger smear silicone around the cable to seal it real good and I always put a little more around the grommet at the roof. Make it look nice not like you globed it on there. And have some help when you run it in one pushing and one pulling slowly.

Here's my install on my CV

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.