Advice needed on intoxicated member

Jun 1, 2010
Mobile, AL
I hate to post this online, but I’m at a loss for what to do. I’ve been with a rescue team for nearly 10 years and I have witnessed an officer repeatedly showing up on calls with the stench of alcohol on him.

I was not a ranking officer until the last couple years and he still pulls the ”I’m the ____, and you’re only the ____” card when I question or try to advise on a safer way to handle a situation.

One particular call which has made me nervous to get in a car with him since was about 5 years ago. We were dispatched to the aid of a public saftey official who had hit a submerged log and was taking on water. We were told to put in at one landing 7 minutes from the station. When I arrived at the station I was going to drive the truck, but he insisted he was going to drive and demanded I get in on the passenger side. He runs L&S about 3 mins down the road and shuts them off to pick up two members at a parking lot then gets back on the road and passes the same cehicles with l&s once again. He runs 65-70mph on a hilly winding country road in the total darkness for about 30 minutes even after I asked if this was the right launch he was heading to. When we get there he realizes his mistake and runs back to the correct launch. The officer who had the trouble made it back to his own ramp before we got there. After this member dropped off the two members at their vehicles he says to me ”I’m not afraid to admit I had about 4 or 5 beers before we got the call”.

I’ve lost count of the times between, but situations are mismanagement, running l&s when not justified (for stuck boat calls, or if the distance is a 25 min drive and other agencies are there, skip a toll plaza) or not using l&s when justified such as a vehicle off a bridge, helicopter crash.

The most recent was last weekend, I drove past his house on my way to get groceries and he called me directly for a boat that sunk in 2-3’ of water and was on a sandbar.
I arrive at the station and he tells me to drive. I could smell beer on his breath, so I got in the truck and drove, planning on driving the boat and handling most the work. I felt he shouldn’t be on the call, but he may have a higher limit than I do.

We get to the ramp and this outranking officer decides he wants to drive the boat and makes it clear I’m not driving. We get on scene with the guy (2 miles south from where we launched and 4 miles where he launched from) and I find the guy on the sunk boat with a severe stench of the fancy alcohol. Rum or vodka, who knows. We got on scene right at sunset 4.45 or so and dispatch knew 2 members on the boat plus victim on his boat. No other agency knew aside from USCG and this officer decided to cancel the cg and send them home. This was dusk by that time. I advised the officer we should hand over to marine police and either anchor his boat or call sea tow, but I was told we were pulling the boat off the flat. Mind you it’s got water over the deck and it’s v hull has a 20 degree list to port and stuck in the soft mucky mud.

We spool out enough rope or to get into the channel about 2/10ths of a mile. We repeat that maybe 4 times and no change. I again tell him we should abort and hand over to appropriate agencies. Officer then demands I get in the victims boat and put on hip waders to help ”push” the boat. He uses this tactic with the ones who run aground. Have them hop off and then anchor their boat and pick them up a few mins later.

I refuse and tell him I’m not comfy doing that, that we shouldn’t be messing with the boat and to hand over to marine police. Again he pulls his ”I out rank you, and I say you do this” card.

I get in the water against my better judgement to avoid a confrontation and keep a somewhat professional look to the team rather than a power struggle. We get the boat moving maybe 45’ after we cut the bilge off our boat and put it in his. I then advice the officer that the boat is taking on water fast. 1.5’ in 10 mins. That we should leave it. He says get back in the water and push. I leave my cell phone on the victims boat thinking I would have time to get back before anything goes wrong.

We start pushing again while the officer is towing the rope and then he signals for us to let go. The victim didn’t. The turd was not pushing at all, just hanging on the back of his boat. I try to run to catch onto the boat, but I was not able to.

They pull it out the 2/10ths of a mile to the channel and sit for maybe 8 mins. Then both the rescue boat and his run up the river about 1 mile or so. I’m in the dark, middle of the bay with no traffic around, no signaling or comms device, no one knew I was out on the water, had seen 3 gators 2 hours earlier, had a 10-15’ channel on each side of the sand bar. He left me out there for 45 minutes before he started heading back trying to find me.

Thankfully he did get back to me only due to reflective lettering on my jacket. Got my phone back, but the boat ended up sinking.

No my question is. What should I do about this. He has endangered lives of his members, victims, and whomever else. He makes bad judgement calls in situations where we need a sound and safe decision.

I discussed with a leo friend of mine and he said he would come haul him off to jail next time. Yet a friend of mine said he should be reported.

Our bylaws don’t have any real coverage for situations like this. We are not technically affiliated with the city, but we do have to abide by their rules which prohibit dui. One is enough for most employees to get fired.

This officer works with the city as well and has many friends. I don’t want tl ruin his retirement or reputation, but he may get worse and either seriously injure or kill someone with his actions on a call. I have a family member who is an alcoholic and will forget everything after 2-4 mins. So I was thinking the officer could have left me and forgotten anyone else was on the boat. I could have easily been stuck out there all night before a passing boat would notice me or my family got worried. That or a gator may have decided to get a snack for keeping stashed later.

I could report it to the fire chief who handles some admin stuff for our department, but it would get cut there and then I would likely be removed from the team since they are friends. Captain of the team is out of the question. Other officers can’t really do much. City hall has the power, but then it would cost his job and what ever benefits he gets.

So now that you guys and gals know the whole story, suggestions or best advice.... thank you

Jun 1, 2010
Mobile, AL
I should also mention, I’ve tried to talk with him about it in the past and it doesn’t help.

I don’t mind calling the police on him if it gets the point across, but I want to make sure I do what’s best for everyone

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
If nothing else (for fear of costing him his pension), you need to refuse to respond with him. You could have been killed on this river incident.

Maybe someone with authority will notice you won't run with this guy. If not, you may have to walk away. Better to be alive...

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Tolerance, and the legal BAC limit are 2 different things. Just because he can "Tolerate" 5-6 drinks, doesnt mean that he is within the legal threshold for being able to LEGALLY operate a motor vehicle, or boat.

In my district, 1 drink is the limit to be able to respond, and 1 sip of a drink, precludes you from operating any apparatus. Zero tolerance policy. If you appear intoxicated, the police are called. Breathalizer is administered. Blow over the limit (.08) immediate suspension, and review board. Very slim chances of being reinstated.

If your unit does not have these regulations in writing, it would most likely be a different scenario. A call to the PD may be in order. While it may gain you a "Blue Falcon" title, the safety of your members, and yourself is on the line, and while his "Boys" might not like you, it is in the best interest of the community.

Jun 1, 2010
Mobile, AL
As much as I would like to stop running calls with him, I can’t exactly do that unless he doesn’t show. I’m actually the LT for the boats and he is above me, I won’t say his rank, but it’s rather shameful where he is in the ranks.

It was his judgement, instead of allowing me to call pd to pick the guy up or have another person give him a lift home. This officer had me drive the guy to his truck and let him drive it home. The guy still had a strong smell of alcohol and was just starting to act a bit more coherent.

As for the officer, he relies heavily on the ”good ole boy” system to get his way. Which is why I want to know the best way to handle it. If I talk with him - no change, if I report him to the team - ”well, he’s a great guy and we think you should give him a second chance”, if I report him to City - my word against his unless I get a few witnesses and may also ruin the team, if I call the police on a call - it would take care of him and then ruin his careeer.
If I do nothing - who knows what will go wrong and it’s just a matter of time.

I’m more concerned about the safety of anyone on the department or those we assist. So if it requires a call to put a superior in jail to keep anyone from getting injured, I’ll do it.

Typically, when I or any other officer have to write up a lower ranking member you have to submit it before the other officers and they hear the case then the captain makes a decision. The bylaws have no procedure for any officer to bring charges up on a higher rank. If anything it would be handled under the same procedure - not really going anywhere.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, if there are more suggestions or ideas I’ll keep an eye on this thread.

Last edited:

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Ask yourself how you will feel if he kills someones child in a crash and you could have stopped it a long time ago. Friends and respect is one thing, but risking your life and the lives of others is another. I would blatantly tell him I will no longer tolerate him showing up intoxicated and if he does, he is not driving period. This is a no brainer.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Skulldigger nailed it.

This is about him violating the trust, and risking the lives of the citizens he has sworn to serve and protect. An accident involving the intoxicated driver of a piece of emergency apparatus, and a civilian of some sort could very well also be the end of your unit.

Which result is better? a pissed off bunch of guys in the "Good ol' boy" system, or injured/dead civilians?

Reactions: bmd224 and NVFD612

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I’m more concerned about the safety of anyone on the department or those we assist. So if it requires a call to put a superior in jail to keep anyone from getting injured, I’ll do it.

That right there is what makes you 10,000 times a better person than that officer. You know you're right, and doing the right thing is what's gonna keep people from getting injured or killed. If it happens again, follow Skulldigger's advice and call PD to end the madness.

You gotta protect yourself, the partners you trust and respect, and most importantly, the general pubic.

...if I call the police on a call - it would take care of him and then ruin his career.

Wally, from what you told us, he already has done that to himself when he let alcohol cloud his judgement and common sense.....that's his own fault. Not yours, not anybody else. That officer has built his coffin with his actions and attitude towards it....only a matter of time before the hammer falls on the final nail.

That's my $0.02 cents. You stay safe out there, man.

Jun 1, 2010
Mobile, AL
Thanks guys! I know I said I wouldn’t say his rank, but I may as well

It’s the captain himself.

Either way, I’ll handle it like any other member. I know too many dui victims and even if he is in charge, he’s subject to the same rules I follow as well as any other member.

Just hate having to resort to these drastic measures now, but I want to know that my guys will be safe out on the water and to get everyone home safely at the end of the situation. I plan on resigning soon and they need to be able to trust their superiors to make the right decisions.

Guess it’s has to start somewhere

tcfd823

May 21, 2010
CENARK
A peculiar situation you have, however... at what point is enough, enough? He may outrank you, but you have a responsibility to the people under your watch, regardless if he is acting in a command capacity. 10 years on the department, i'd say you've earned the right to voice your opinion behind closed doors with other command staff (or whomever may be relevant in this situation).

If memory serves me correctly, it's a volunteer agency. (if i'm mistaken, forgive me. it's been a while lol). If they decide to cut you loose after you bring the issue up, there are other outfits that need people with a good head on their shoulders; you've done what you can so take solace in that.

Remember, your safety comes first and foremost, followed by your crew, and last but not least the victim. Don't become a statistic.

PS: glad to see you're still around, Walter.

Reactions: wallytheaviator

Bill Boyd

Jul 6, 2010
Avon, NY
Are people not responding when they hear him on the radio? Will people start responding again if he is out of office? Even the Good Old Boys have their limits, but are afraid to rock the boat if it is one of their own. Sorry, bad pun. I have seen this happen in many fire departments. With voluteerism at an all time low, and the wrong person gets in as chief, even fewer members respond and it takes forever to get them back in the future. I hope this doesn't happen with your organization.

Reactions: wallytheaviator
Jun 1, 2010
Mobile, AL
Are people not responding when they hear him on the radio? Will people start responding again if he is out of office? Even the Good Old Boys have their limits, but are afraid to rock the boat if it is one of their own. Sorry, bad pun. I have seen this happen in many fire departments. With voluteerism at an all time low, and the wrong person gets in as chief, even fewer members respond and it takes forever to get them back in the future. I hope this doesn't happen with your organization.

Actually, that nails it. I noticed that many land search operations have bad turn out. Either just myself, or maybe 4 people out of 32. We had 4 resignations in one night which is a record for the entire history of the team. When captain gets on scene he runs around with the phone in his ear and just give a finger gesture to say ”hold on”. He never really does anything these days, except he’s become what I call a ”camera whore”. Some of his orders are conflicting info or he will say to do something, then 10-20 seconds later, asks ”why are you doing that, do this” I’ve seen it happen with other members and even had him say the same to me.

Some of our members show up and stand around with no orders from him for maybe 1 hour or more and then they leave. I try to keep the team organized and try to get one member per team to deploy out with another agency just to keep them busy.

For boat calls, it’s usually just myself and him. If it’s a longer multi-agency call, we get maybe 3-6 members more. If I page out the team I get at least 4-5 on the first page.

Never really made that connection since it’s a volunteer team.

Outsider perspective, it makes sense.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.