Aerial footage of early stage duplex fire

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Was called mutual aid to this incident. The drone pilot (licensed) lives a block over from this incident. He is also a former vollie FF and current EMT. This was taken about 10-15 minutes after 9-1-1 call was placed. It ended up being a 10 department response.

Reactions: tsquale

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Please remember and understand that no offense is meant to the unfortunate home owners loss but to put a happier spin to an unfortunate incident. If lives had been lost or someone was injured I would not make that comment. I am a responder for the fire and law enforcement depts where I live, many a time I have been in the thick of the smoke of many fires, we don't have scba equipment you just try and stay as far out of the acrid smoke as possible but close enough to keep our firefighters in the fight and hydrated.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
To add on here, there were no injuries. PD was first out, made entry from the back side and found 4 residents inside that had no idea the front was on fire. Saved them, 2 cats and a gerbil from peril. (No mention of that in local news coverage though).

Command made a decision to pull back due to comms issues and problems with water supply. Unfortunately it ended up total loss.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
No adjacent structure exposure was also a plus.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
The empty lot to the left used to have a house on it. Ironically it burned down 6 years ago, not arson and not related.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I see three fire engines: a tanker, a pumper, and an aerial ladder truck. Was that not enough to handle the fire?

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
No. It ended with 7 engines, 1 ladder, and 5 tankers on shuttle. The village water system was not enough to support the aerial even standalone.

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area
Command made a decision to pull back due to comms issues and problems with water supply. Unfortunately it ended up total loss.

Not MMQB'ing, trying to learn.

I was wondering what happened. It looked like you had interior lines, but I saw the exterior hoseman shooting into vents - which is generally a no-no when you've got crews on the interior.

If you'd entered with a 2 1/2" and knocked down the attic you might have been able to save (part) of it. Might, and again, that's a SWAG, based on my having been in a fire that started in the living room, went through the kitchen and extended into the attic via the vinyl siding. We stopped it before it ate the trusses and dropped the roof on us. I know your situation was very likely different,

The important part is the residents and FF's are all alive and intact after the incident.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Yeah idk exactly what happened. I responded with the county rescue squad for air so we didnt get on scene til it was through the roof. I have after pics just haven't posted them up yet.

May 24, 2010
Mount Orab, Ohio
Seems to me if they had the engine out of the way so the aerial could get right up there & vent it quickly maybe there would have been a different outcome. I sympathize with their water supply issues, I run with a rural department that has few hydrants out of town.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
These are all rural 100% vollie depts. The biggest issue was manpower. 2 guys on the primary engine which arrived first then others pov 5-8 mins after engine on scene. The aerial was from a mutual aid dept 15min away. By the time it arrived there were 2 other mutual aid engines on scene.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.