AeroDynic 22I: Today's Craigslist Find

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
So today I was scouring CL and came across a picture neatly tucked away in a post of what appeared to be a slightly dirty AeroDynic 22I. So I contacted the seller, who was asking far too much for it, and managed to talk him down to $50. So I endured the ferry ride from Manhattan to Staten Island and picked it up at the docks. Definitely worth the $50, but WHEW! It stinks! I took it apart on the ferry ride back into the city (among many confused stares) and wasn't able to find anything dead inside. Usual wear and schmutz on the inside but two of the dome panels are actually creased with no signs of cracking. The rest of the domes are cloudy and coming apart, but they should clean up fine, even though there are small cracks on both endcaps.

So all in all, the domes are like a 4/10 because they're filthy, scratched and crazed but they should clean up to a displayable 7 or 8/10. The insides all work and are pretty simple, so I'll give them a 7/10 because it needs a darn good wipedown.

Here are a couple pics, first of the basic bar and the second of the weird dome crease. ai187.photobucket.com_albums_x301_used18_IMG_0270_zps91f6bd04.jpg

ai187.photobucket.com_albums_x301_used18_IMG_0273_zps481b4f8a.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The lenses are in rough shape, but maybe they will polish out to an acceptable degree. For $50 you did alright.

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
stansdds said:
The lenses are in rough shape, but maybe they will polish out to an acceptable degree. For $50 you did alright.

They definitely are . . . after I cleaned them, one of the endcaps and two of the panels all but fell off. I've never seen them this bad, even the one I have at my parents' house which is 10+ years older.

Well, looks like it's time to find some good silicone and dome polish.

In other news, this is where I'm storing it: over my living room dining table. My roommates will probably hate me for it, but I'm too tired to care.

ai187.photobucket.com_albums_x301_used18_IMG_0274_zps93731abb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The panels should not fall apart... unless the lenses were not put together by Federal Signal. It is possible, especially for the section that is bowed and creased, that the lenses on this 22I were assembled from lenses taken from another bar.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
stansdds said:
The panels should not fall apart... unless the lenses were not put together by Federal Signal. It is possible, especially for the section that is bowed and creased, that the lenses on this 22I were assembled from lenses taken from another bar.

I would for the most part agree with this statment. I have a few "older" Aerodynic domes that are starting to come apart, but this is a 22I which are still newer and the newer dome Federal used some glue as well as silicone.

Shameless plug, but if your looking for domes check my post in the classifieds. I have several Mini Aerodynic dome sets, and not posted yet I may have some candy cane sets up there soon as well.

Rob

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I was thinking the same thing, but the silicone under the pieces looked far too neat to be anything but factory. It was just old and yellowed and crusty.

Rob, I might take you up on that offer if you have a nice pair of candy canes up soon. My funds are really low but if I decide to keep this light nestled to my bosom, I might just do it.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
lotsofbars said:
I was thinking the same thing, but the silicone under the pieces looked far too neat to be anything but factory. It was just old and yellowed and crusty.

Rob, I might take you up on that offer if you have a nice pair of candy canes up soon. My funds are really low but if I decide to keep this light nestled to my bosom, I might just do it.

I'll have at least 2 sets up for sale once my other order from Steve comes in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.