Aerodynic / Aerotwinsonic difference?

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
What if any difference is there between the Aerodynic and the Aerotwinsonic?

I thought at first it may have been an early name, or kind of a slangterm for the Aerodynic. I've searched the forums without much luck although it does appear that they are two distinct but similar lightbars.

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
Same Bar but different lights
AeroTwinSonic = 2 dual PAR36 chain driven lights like a TwinSonic
AeroDynic = 2/3/4 gear driven reflector
AeroHawk = indipendent rotator (similar to StreetHawk)

Reactions: FCV96

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
Aerodynic model Aerohawk is 72" long lightbar with independent rotators only otherwise
Aerodynic all sizes is with independent rotators and gear driven rotators.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
The Aerodynic lightbar has had a multitude of variations and options over its lifetime.. from the Aerotwin, to the synched gear versions, to the idependent rotator ADL bars, and finally the LED versions. They were all called Aerodynics and rarely outside of elb do you know someone who knows the differences.

And to make it even more confuzzling there are variations within the versions of each of these bars... good luck!

Rob

Reactions: Tony P

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
Well they were pretty long lived so it makes sense that they went through so many variations. I suspected it might have to do with the internals of the bar. All I've ever seen was the gear driven reflector style.

So on the Aerotwinsonic was that a budget thing, just an early stage of the lightbar that was eventually phased out, an option for those who preferred the traditional lights vs reflectors or something else?

I understand the introduction of the rotating reflectors required less power, but I can imagine that there were some who resisted the idea until it was proven. Kind of a bright brake light bulb, cheap looking aluminum reflectors and plastic gears doesn't really sound like an improvement, although we know they turned out to be a fine light bar.

Reactions: denko3

Jul 14, 2014
NV
So on the Aerotwinsonic was that a budget thing, just an early stage of the lightbar that was eventually phased out, an option for those who preferred the traditional lights vs reflectors or something else?"

The Aerotwinsonic was basically Twin Sonic guts (chain driven) in a AeroDynic shell. The next version was with the gears to sync the flash pattern.

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
Right I get the internals were different, I was just curious why both existed.

If it was Aerotwin and then Aerodynic it would clearly be an evolutionary thing, but I gather that he two were sold side by side for some period of time. That would suggest to me that the Aerotwin was either a budget option (maybe using up stockpiles of Twinsonic parts) or being offered to more conservative agencies who don't like change (or had large stockpiles of Twinsonic repair parts).

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I think your on the correct path.. probably 2 reasons.. 1 interchangeable parts means use of existing stocks.. 2. Proven working technology.. the Gear driven version was new while sealed beam beacons had been around forever. The Aerotwin style was around for quite awhile I have some with build dates from the late 80's

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
it is an evolutionary change and a technological advance of a new item. Remember before the Model 17 all lights were stationary and either were constant or flashed. The obvious improvement was a rotating light that provided 360 degree visibility. The 17 was born. Then competition started pushing changes, and what's better than two beams spinning? 3 or 4 beams spinning, hello 184 and similar lights. How about the the lights pointing up and down (the 175), another change. The Visibar was the first light bar. the original design of the bar was to hold a sign between two rotating lights and a way to mount it all as a unit. (1963). It changed with the next design putting a speaker in between the lights (1964). Again the point of the bar was a way to mount multiple devices to the roof easily. The designer of the bar Earl Gosswieler then changed the design and enclosed it as the Twinsonic. The invent of the parabolic mirrors was based on the way the CP25 speaker reflected the light as the rotators spun on the Visibar. Seeing the wasted light, he added the mirrors and enclosed the whole thing for ease of care and to protect the mirrors. The next step was the Aerotwinsonic, which was merely an aerodynamic version of the Twinsonic. The 60 watt Par 36 bulbs necessary for a good effect off of the mirrors came with a negative, power draw. The Aerodynic moved from a chain driven setup with par 36's to smaller bulbs and motors that not only provided better light in all directions (the X mirrors were a flop) but provided a means of changing light patterns by sequencing the individual rotators. Each step was an improvement above the last. It may not make as much sense to us today with hindsight, but they were making something that had never been made before and were learning over the years.

I have to credit STANSDDS for much of that information.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I have read before that the Aerodynic with geared synchronized rotators was offered FIRST. THEN the Aerotwinsonic came to be by popular demand to have the AeroDynic housings and the older classic Twinsonic internals.

Altough the Aerotwin rotators looks to be the same as the Tiwnsonic, hence using the same parts, I notice the rotator base plate is different. (triangular in the Aero, square in the Twinsonic)

Great bars altogether.

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Aerodynamic is what the design was about. Gas mileage . Then the Jetsonic for the same reason. I believe there was an AD that showed this

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The Aerodynic came before the AeroTwinSonic. I think the Aerodynic came out in 1977, while the AeroTwin came out in the early 1980s. I think it was Federal's way of bringing back the Twin Sonic, but in an Aerodynic enclosure. I like the AeroTwin more.

The neatest looking Aero bar I ever saw was the 'Wrecker's Special', designed for tow trucks. Early versions had rotating sealed beams, while later versions had rotating reflectors. I think there are pictures of both types of bars posted somewhere here on this forum.

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
The Aerodynic came before the AeroTwinSonic. I think the Aerodynic came out in 1977, while the AeroTwin came out in the early 1980s. I think it was Federal's way of bringing back the Twin Sonic, but in an Aerodynic enclosure. I like the AeroTwin more.

The neatest looking Aero bar I ever saw was the 'Wrecker's Special', designed for tow trucks. Early versions had rotating sealed beams, while later versions had rotating reflectors. I think there are pictures of both types of bars posted somewhere here on this forum.

Here are a couple of images I found of the Aerodynic Towman model.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 17
  • images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 13
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 13

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Any particular reason? Just curious if it is just a personal aesthetic preference or something more tangible.
I prefer the 'look' of rotating sealed beams. They have a neater looking 'flash' effect as opposed to stationary bulbs with rotating reflectors. I'm also old-fashioned in a way - I grew up watching beacons and light bars with sealed beams.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
While I am a fan of ALL aerodynics.. not that anyone here doesn't already know that..

I prefer the Synchronized gear version over all the others.. The ability the change the flash patterns can really get interesting especially if you have dome colors that would enhance the effect.

See my example below... (shameless plug)

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
I prefer the 'look' of rotating sealed beams. They have a neater looking 'flash' effect as opposed to stationary bulbs with rotating reflectors. I'm also old-fashioned in a way - I grew up watching beacons and light bars with sealed beams.

Ok makes sense. Nothing wrong with personal preference. I myself heavily prefer a rotating light to the modern flash only bars out that have taken over the market.

While I am a fan of ALL aerodynics.. not that anyone here doesn't already know that..

I prefer the Synchronized gear version over all the others.. The ability the change the flash patterns can really get interesting especially if you have dome colors that would enhance the effect.

See my example below... (shameless plug)

I like the synchronized flash patterns too. My favorite was an all red bar with the rotators synchronized in the same direction so the thrown light kind of resembled a single beacon. The center section was white with a figure 8 "mars" style traffic buster.

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Code 3 had a tow bar with amber domes with red par36 sealed beams for brake turn lights to the rear. Force 4 XL I believe. The started with a speaker grill and went to a clear center section with a 3 rotator with an amber filter and load lights

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.