Aerodynic Clutch Gear Repros?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
So I ordered some of @ryan repro clutch gears.. partially to test and see how they come out and hopefully to revive some dead projects. I have had some limited luck with 3D printing these on my own, but I never perfected it enough to want to sell it.

I plan on doing a review of them, so I will post up some video comparing the repro to the original, and hopefully these work out.

Anyone else use these yet?

Reactions: Tony P

mike2459

May 22, 2010
South Glens Falls,NY
So I ordered some of @ryan repro clutch gears.. partially to test and see how they come out and hopefully to revive some dead projects. I have had some limited luck with 3D printing these on my own, but I never perfected it enough to want to sell it.

I plan on doing a review of them, so I will post up some video comparing the repro to the original, and hopefully these work out.

Anyone else use these yet?
I saw these on ebay, is this what you're looking for? http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338077216&icep_item=254103122482

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Yup

Jun 18, 2013
PA
So my order of Reproduction clutch gears from Ryan came in the mail today.
I only had a little time to look them over but so far it looks to be promising.

I took some comparison shots of an OEM gear and Ryan's version.. should be pretty obvious, but the older gear is yellowed compared to Repro which is white.

Bottom

Initial comparisons look very promising, the teeth on the newer gear are slightly longer in tooth. This is to be expected since the OEM gear is used and shows signs of wear. Thread pitch is identical at least visually which should be fine.

Comparison photos for some clarity. The only thing other worth noting is the missing set of teeth on the Repro that the Aerodynic does not use.

I test fitted the repro gear on the axle with the idler gear and it fits, just a little looser in the tolerance then the OEM gear. This should not be an issue once the roll pin is installed.

Next up is installing and testing.

Hopefully this weekend... Schedule permitting.

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
So I see he is offering them for $50 and it shows a bag of gears in the pic. Do you get the bag or just one gear for $50?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
@shues No I do not. I asked around and apparently this gear is found on newer Model 14s, and apparently 1 version of the Beacon-Ray but I can't confirm either.

@Scoot163 1 gear $50, purchase more like I did and Ryan gave me a slight discount.

Reactions: Scoot163
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Ok to continue I mounted the gear, and I am currently beating the snot out of it.. err I mean testing it o_O

Gear mounted (incorrectly I might add)
The bottom Brass Grommet is flipped in this picture, I realized it when the whole axle had some play. I popped out the roll pin and took everything apart to flip the lower brass grommet and its good.

Video review..

So the Skinny.. 8/10

Looks to be a workable solution, I am still gonna run this beater bar for awhile and look for any wear issues.

Pros..
It works

Cons...
Not an OEM gear.. missing secondary teeth, so unusable in whatever federal product used this style gear and those larger teeth. Not really a bad thing however for its intended use.

Price.. I understand the costs involved and your making a niche part, but $50 for a small nylon or polymer gear IMO is on the high side. Granted this is a cost with shipping, and if you order more then a certain amount you get a slight discount.

I'll probably keep playing around with my 3D printing experiments in the long run, as my cost is literally nothing. But having a solution on hand for IMO one of the hardest parts to source.. is great.

Rob

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.