AeroDynic domes disassembly

Mars Light

Jun 23, 2011
Leipzig, Germany
We all know the issue to disassemble a AeroDynic dome in single segments.
They have glue spots on each end and a lot of silicone between the segments. And there is always a chance to crack the dome.

A few day ago I disassembled a NOS dome for a Aerodynic 22.
No glue and it was very easy. It almost fell apart.

Can someone confirm that for smaller domes or did FS make production cheaper and omitted the glue for all domes sizes?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Honestly, you might be running into a lack of QC issue with these domes. I have several new that are overkill on glue and silicone. However I also have had luck breaking down new domes due to some with a lack of glue and silicone. I think its hit or miss, and lately more and more misses as its apparent Federal wants out of the Aero dome biz.

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
We all know the issue to disassemble a AeroDynic dome in single segments.
They have glue spots on each end and a lot of silicone between the segments. And there is always a chance to crack the dome.

A few day ago I disassembled a NOS dome for a Aerodynic 22.
No glue and it was very easy. It almost fell apart.

Can someone confirm that for smaller domes or did FS make production cheaper and omitted the glue for all domes sizes?

It's been a couple years since I bought any new domes but I've had descent luck getting them seperated. I only tried on a few sets but they definitely didn't have as much glue as older sets I've tried seperating. With that said, I don't think it's anything you can be sure of. As Rob said, I think it's a quality control thing more than a change in spec. Perhaps things are better now (doubt it) but I know QC got pretty shoddy for awhile.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Okay, thanks guys.

So the chances increase that newer domes will be easier to separate than older ones. Without any warranty. :D
There is a "not so sweet spot" in the middle where they are very hard to take apart. The newer ones seem easier and the really old ones have some glue deterioration; the "middle ground" has given me the most trouble.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.