Aerodynic domes - order to federal signal

jokerfromgq

Mar 9, 2013
France - US - CA
Ok Guys,

I need you about Aerodynic domes...

These items are so rare that I decide to order it at Federal Signal.

However, I want to be sure of it.

Could someone tell me what are the exact part number for:

AERODYNIC 24 EH and 24 EAH

Because the order sheet provided by FedSign is pretty complicated to undestand ...

Thank a lot for those who can help me !

Jun 18, 2013
PA
While I cannot comment on exact part number, you probably can locate this information on their website.

I just recently jumped through these same hoops for a 24MEH, the person on the phone was pretty helpful in explaining what could be done.

There was a form that I would have had to fill out that noted segment colors and customization. I would recommend contacting Federal directly for specifics.

In the end I was able to locate what I needed for my 1 bar, but now I have another that I may just end up buying new domes for.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
I can order you the domes as long as you have an American address to ship to. Then you would have to have them shipped overseas. It should still be cheaper than ordering direct from Federal Signal.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Part numbers are as follows:

8542D170A-SPEC 2 PANELS MODELS 22 22I 22R MINI AERO

8542D217A-SPEC 3 1/2 PANELS MODELS 24M 48" BARS

8542D032A-SPEC 4 PANELS MODELS 24 24E 24EAH 24EA 24AD 24ADL AD5200 52" BARS

8542D168A-SPEC 5 PANELS MODELS 25 25E 25EAH 25CL 25AD 25ADL 25RW ADL5200 52" BARS

8542538A-SPEC 4 1/2 PANELS MODELS ADL4800 48" ALL LIGHT

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
No love for the 24XS 3 panel??????

Chris

emtanderson51 said:
Part numbers are as follows:

8542D170A-SPEC 2 PANELS MODELS 22 22I 22R MINI AERO

8542D217A-SPEC 3 1/2 PANELS MODELS 24M 48" BARS

8542D032A-SPEC 4 PANELS MODELS 24 24E 24EAH 24EA 24AD 24ADL AD5200 52" BARS

8542D168A-SPEC 5 PANELS MODELS 25 25E 25EAH 25CL 25AD 25ADL 25RW ADL5200 52" BARS

8542538A-SPEC 4 1/2 PANELS MODELS ADL4800 48" ALL LIGHT

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Ok, I get the fact that they are discontinued but they still make Areo lens. It seems it would be easy enough to stop at three full sections and not add a half or another full section. I don't know maybe I'm being silly but it makes sense to me.

Stupid rules,

Chris

thekidd123 said:
no more 3 panels. you can get lucky on ebay now and then. I know a guy on ebay who has amber 3.5 panel
but he only has amber buyhe can look for other colors I think.

Federal Signal Aerodynic 8542D217A Driver or Passenger Side Amber 3 5 Panel Dome | eBay

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
I don't know if it can be done, but it would be cool if you could order the # of lens sections you want and end caps all in pieces.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Lt.214 said:
Ok, I get the fact that they are discontinued but they still make Areo lens. It seems it would be easy enough to stop at three full sections and not add a half or another full section. I don't know maybe I'm being silly but it makes sense to me.

Stupid rules,

Chris

I asked them exactly this 3 months ago, and they told me they won't do it. Just piece together 3 sections and stop there... Not possible according to them. I don't get it either :(

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts

jokerfromgq

Mar 9, 2013
France - US - CA
emtanderson51 said:
If you order domes from thig guy you pay approximately 30% OVER MSRP.......yes...I said OVER....I emailed him about this with no response...

I confirm Emtanerson statements....

And when you get interested with its domes, He harass you by mail.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
emtanderson51 said:
If you order domes from thig guy you pay approximately 30% OVER MSRP.......yes...I said OVER....I emailed him about this with no response...

I know the guy. He is nice, but strictly business. I am always baffled at how many different items over MSRP he actually sells. It's a lot. I know Paypal sent him a 10-99 last year, LOL. Mainly to European customers though. They don't always have the factory connections like we do and its easier to just buy them via E-bay. It helps that he ships to Europe as well, being that most sellers here don't.

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
I wonder if Federal's problem is they don't make the 3 panel chrome top strip anymore? Maybe I'm a hack but I'd order the 3.5 panel, take the .5 apart & cut the chrome strip & be done. Or are the remaining parts of the 3 panel dome that go against the speaker the wrong side?

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
ChargerLighting said:
I wonder if Federal's problem is they don't make the 3 panel chrome top strip anymore? Maybe I'm a hack but I'd order the 3.5 panel, take the .5 apart & cut the chrome strip & be done. Or are the remaining parts of the 3 panel dome that go against the speaker the wrong side?

That's what I want to do, but seperating Aero Domes are not an easy job. Perhaps cutting them along the last section's seam...

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
toon80 said:
That's what I want to do, but seperating Aero Domes are not an easy job. Perhaps cutting them along the last section's seam...

i think thats you best and only option. no one will see the cut marks anyways.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
ERIC6913 said:
i think thats you best and only option. no one will see the cut marks anyways.

Thanks Eric. What king of saw would you use? I am thinking a bench cutting disk, cooling with water to prevent melted plastic twirls from forming. It needs to be stable enough so the dome won't start wobbling and kicking once in contact with the cutting disk.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I was having a discussion about this with lightbarfan and I mentioned to him cutting to fit the length he needs.

My suggestion would be to use a marker or sharpie to mark where you want to cut on the domes, then keep it simple maybe a dremel with a cutting wheel, make relief cuts and go slow so you don't crack the domes.

Also taking domes apart, how would one go about doing this without breaking the dome. There appears to be some sort of adhesive besides silicone holding them together.

toon80 said:
Thanks Eric. What king of saw would you use? I am thinking a bench cutting disk, cooling with water to prevent melted plastic twirls from forming. It needs to be stable enough so the dome won't start wobbling and kicking once in contact with the cutting disk.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Does anyone know if the individual panel sections have a stock number and if so, can they be ordered separately versus pre assembled by FS?? I have the chrome top strip already on my existing 24XS. I have the skills to put the sections together and secure them. I would really like new lenses for it as it is a rare bar and I would also like to change the solid red that's on it.

Just a thought .

Chris

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
That's what I was going to suggest. The wheel / dremel will work but if you veer off only a little, you'll get a ridge.

Or if they're new domes, I'd take the endcap off, ''unfold'' the domes (grab the bottoms of the domes & fold them towards the top). The chrome strip should fall off & then you might be able to take your un-needed panels off. Then you can cut your chrome strip to the needed length, glue the top back together, put the strip back on & all done. This is *IF* the glue co-operates.

Jamey@NNE said:
Personally I think a band saw would give you the straitest cut without messing up the lens.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Lt.214 said:
Does anyone know if the individual panel sections have a stock number and if so, can they be ordered separately versus pre assembled by FS?? I have the chrome top strip already on my existing 24XS. I have the skills to put the sections together and secure them. I would really like new lenses for it as it is a rare bar and I would also like to change the solid red that's on it.

Just a thought .

Chris

The lens sections cannot be ordered seperately. I asked them last year and they wouldn't do it. Only the endcap could be ordered seperately.

Stampeed Valkyrie said:
I was having a discussion about this with lightbarfan and I mentioned to him cutting to fit the length he needs.
My suggestion would be to use a marker or sharpie to mark where you want to cut on the domes, then keep it simple maybe a dremel with a cutting wheel, make relief cuts and go slow so you don't crack the domes.

Also taking domes apart, how would one go about doing this without breaking the dome. There appears to be some sort of adhesive besides silicone holding them together.

The dome sections are held together with glue to top and bottom +silicone in between. On some old domes I've seen that were faded, the glue have gave way and wasn't a problem, but that's OLD glue. The other ones I've tried cracked on me, even though I was patient and used little force. (Broken section replaced on a UPS-damaged lens) I ended up Dremel-ing out the remaining broken parts still attached, but that will not be pretty all the time...

All said, I think the band-saw might be the best option to bring a 3 1/2 sections dome to a 3 sections. Maybe some tight packing inside would keep the dome "solid" while cutting.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
toon80 said:
The lens sections cannot be ordered seperately. I asked them last year and they wouldn't do it. Only the endcap could be ordered seperately.

FIGURES!!!! FEDSIG does some things I don't like/agree with.

Chris

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.