AeroDynic gear imbalance

Mars Light

Jun 23, 2011
Leipzig, Germany
Everbody knows the terrible sound of "dancing" rotators in older Aerodynic with gear wheels.
IMG_20210913_135744.jpg
I guess the gap (red arrow) is the issue.
And the idea to fix it is a washer. But the problem is to disassemble the unit.
What about a C-washer to fill the gap and hold it in position.
Anybody other solutions for this widespread problem?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
This issue is caused by uneven wear of the plastic gear due to lack of lubrication.

I would view the washer fix as a stop gap, and a permanent fix to just replace the rotator with a non wobbly one.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I had the same problem years ago with an Aerodynic.
I ended up using white lithium grease. Getting it in the hole is tricky. I went to my local pharmacy/drugstore and asked at the counter a intraveinous syringe. (I explained I wasn't a junkie and was using it to grease hard to get by mechanical parts, lol) I cut the pointy end, and pumped the piston with white lithium grease. Then you can pump it in more easily.

Before that, I figured the way to correct this was indeed, logically, to make a DIY washer. I made one by cuting in a Margarine lid and popping it under the gap. The wobble stopped, there was almost no play. Looked good. I let the bar run 10 minutes to make sure it's fine, and suddenly, everything stops. The DIY spacer was heating up I suppose, and jammed up in there.
The clutch gear was fine in the end, but as the bar was stopped, the clutch was spinning freely. I feared the worst, but it was fine in the end.

I removed the homemade washer, used the grease, and everything is still ok to this day.

Hope this helps!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.