aerodynic help AKA Hal Project or Aerojet lol

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
I just got an aerodynic on craigslist...it was the shorter version with 3 1/2 dome panels speaker center(speaker was included) got it for $60 dollars

it has fwd and rear facing lights on the ends. they are both steady burn front and back. i opend it up and there was no flasher or even a flasher set up inside. the domes were all red to the front and red to the rear with amber ends. the model number is 24MEH, anyone have any idea what the MEH means???

couple questions

1) how hard is it to setup a flasher for the rears??

2) passenger side rotators spin fine then start to wobble. Any idea what might be causing this

3) why is the motor mounted to the front side of the bar..basically blocks 1 rotator on the driver side

4) it is currently 3 1/2 dome on each side with a speaker center. if i wanted to make it all light, i think all i would nee to do is get a 2 section dome and 2 bulkheads? I think Walnut creek PD in ca did it with this size aero...any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfman

May 21, 2010
Scranton, PA
24MEH - M=Midsize (47" - 3 1/2 section), E=End Lights (normally front & rear), H=Halogen rotator bulbs.

1. Not too hard. You'll have to run a can or electronic wig wag flasher, and run one wire to each rear facing bulb.

2. Sounds like a bushing starting to go bad. Make sure the reflector isn't bent, sometimes you can fix it by bending it forward or backwards a little. Otherwise, you'll have to invest in a new reflector kit.

3. Most that I've seen are mounted to the rear. Sometimes people change out domes and end up spinning the bar around due to the dome patterns. I'd like to know the answer to this one myself!

4. I don't believe you can change a "M" designation bar to an all-light due to the fact that I've never seen 4 1/2 section domes. I'm sure if you want to order new ones from Fed Sig, they can probably make them for you, but if you're looking for an all light, I'd stick with a standard size bar (52") which would be five section domes per side.

Hope this helps!

wolfman

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Smitty 711,

1) AeroDynics used 537 thermal flashers, if you want to be exact. Otherwise, just use any flasher.

2) I had a wobbling rotator that did the exact same thing: fine for a few spins then wobble-wobble-wobble..... No lubricant was the problem. Under each gear shaft, you will see a tiny hole on the side. Lubricant needs to go in there from time to time. The Federal Signal grease gun is hard to find so I improvised with a syringe. I bought one from my local pharmacy and put white grease in it and then pumped it in the greasing holes. Put a bit of grease, make it rotate a minute, and repeat a few times. After maybe 3 times, my rotator stopped wobbling and never did it again.

3)The motor is always supposed to be on the back of the bar. You can do 2 things: swap the domes from right to left and vice-versa. (Amber to the rear) Swap the speaker grilles front to back. Here's the layout of your bar, part to part, from Federal Signal. I know it would look like the motor is blocking the rotator but actually, a fairly good part of the reflector make its way over so from a distance, it still "pops" pretty well.

http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/parts/Aerodynic-24MA-24MEAH.pdf

I assume the motor of the bar always have been on the correct side on your bar. FedSig made them this way. I can only assume the domes and grilles have been reversed somehwere so your bar appears backward... ;-)

4) Regarding the all-light project, I would invest in a all-light model (AeroDynic 25) rather than investing lot of time and money for your actual bar... From my experience, just the shipping for the different parts will coast more than an all-light itself...

Good luck!

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
Toon is 100% correct about the wobbling rotators.

ANY good hardware or auto parts store will have a "needle point" grease gun tip. They are actually designed for getting at the fitting in driveshaft U-joints on cars & trucks

They cost about $8.00 - $12.00, and have a grease fitting on one end so that you can just plug your grease gun right onto it. It's really just an extension with a pointed tip.

You may want to try to clean out some of the old hardened grease first.

Also, if you hear a skipping noise, or notice that one side of rotators spin a little faster than the other side, you may need a new belt.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
An endlamp flasher was actually an option and not always included with an aerodynic. an all light could be made, but you would have to find or make a top plate with the correct holes for the gears and rotators.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
wolfman said:
24MEH - M=Midsize (47" - 3 1/2 section), E=End Lights (normally front & rear), H=Halogen rotator bulbs.

1. Not too hard. You'll have to run a can or electronic wig wag flasher, and run one wire to each rear facing bulb.

2. Sounds like a bushing starting to go bad. Make sure the reflector isn't bent, sometimes you can fix it by bending it forward or backwards a little. Otherwise, you'll have to invest in a new reflector kit.

3. Most that I've seen are mounted to the rear. Sometimes people change out domes and end up spinning the bar around due to the dome patterns. I'd like to know the answer to this one myself!

4. I don't believe you can change a "M" designation bar to an all-light due to the fact that I've never seen 4 1/2 section domes. I'm sure if you want to order new ones from Fed Sig, they can probably make them for you, but if you're looking for an all light, I'd stick with a standard size bar (52") which would be five section domes per side.

Hope this helps!

wolfman

I have a original geared style, brand new still in the box and plastic Aerodynic model 25 all light amber for sale. accepting offers over 350.00, as toon80 has already offered

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
@ smitty711

Little update. Here's the "How to" grease your bar: http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/install/256A391.pdf

Scroll down the page. You even have some patterns on that sheet.

Other thing to check, as CFD125 told you, is your belt. In case you need one, I bought him a new AeroDynic belt this summer. It was brand new and perfect. Price was very good too. My old belt was not dead but kinda noisy. I barely hear the bar now. :)

Keep us posted on your bar improvement!

Toon

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
you guys rock as usual..............

So i did talk to my buddy and they did retro his medium aerodynic.they kept the 3 1/2 panel dome, bulk head on each and then a two panel dome in between..then they just added a tcl in the middle

so here is what i have accomplished so far

1) removed the end steady burn front and rear

2) added extra rotator in place of steady burns

3) mounted to steady burns in the center and mounted the other two to the rear and will be a hooking a flasher to those. this will definetly be a custom job....will take pics as i go along

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
This setup (not the color) will somewhat look like a medium LAPD all-light AeroDynic. Interesting pictures to come for sure! This project never have been done here, I think.

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
kinda only the steady burn red and flashing ambers will be in the middle of the bar...this bar isn't repersenting any bar i have seen before. just got a good deal on medium and hada parts only aero laying around and said hmm what can i make...lol switched it around so motor is in the rear..rear flashers are center and hooked up to a code 3 headlight flasher taken out of an LAPD all light aerodynic. the front facing lights will be steady reds

HPIM3246.jpg

HPIM3250.JPG

HPIM3251.JPG

HPIM3252.JPG

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
thanks LBnut...i ordered 2 bulkheads for the outside and a 2 section center lense. cheaper than ordering new 4 1/2 panle domes. short on funds at this time.....but yes i am aware of the mounting issue and may have to adjust accordingly

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
ROTFLMAO!!!!

My first thought was it was a cyclops, but the HAL9000 it is!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
How are you going to do the bulkhead?

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
OH the options...not really sure what i want..

(1) have a 5 and 4 panel dome

(2) have a bulkhead on either side of the red

(3) Have two 3 panel outer domes and a 3 piece dome in the middle

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
Nope.....Just wanted something different..i might add another red to the front and an amber/blue flasher to the rear....bulkheads came today ..need to pick them up tomm

If i do two bulkheads on either side of the red it will look like a jetsonic on roids

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
smitty711 said:
Nope.....Just wanted something different..i might add aniother red to the fronet and an amber/blue flasher to the rear....bulkheads came today ..need to pick them up tomm

If i do two bulkheads on either side of the red it will look like a jetsonic on roids

I kinda like the idea of 2 bulkheads.... You could call it the aerojet

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
Ok its going to have to be one bulkhead with a 5 dome and 4 dome...the connecting end of the panel will not fit into the bulkhead once it is in the track. ZThe connecting end is to big. tried grinding down an old panel and it didnt work to well...to bad i was kinda excited for the aerojet :(

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
smitty711 said:
great find DOOD

Thanks... don't know what's going on with the bumper on that one though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.