ALT WAIL - NOT Y249!!!! LOL.... love or hate?

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
I have become a HUGE fan of the Cali Title XIII compliant ALT-WAIL Siren tone.... I love the LONG pitch cycle.... I have programmed it into all of the cars in our agency. We are running 295SLA6 units. Are there those that hate it?

Last edited by a moderator:

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
No.... I am talking about the Y249 WAIL

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
ford-dealer said:
No.... I am talking about the Y249 WAIL
Unless everything I've read is wrong, Y249 refers specifically to a 249 cycle/min yelp tone. Maybe you're thinking of the Whelen Modified Wail tone?

Last edited by a moderator:

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
MtnMan said:
Unless everything I've read is wrong, Y249 refers specifically to a 249 cycle/min yelp tone. Maybe you're thinking of the Whelen Wodified Wail tone?

I am obviously confused.... howerver... my 295SLA6, when you use the scan lok to program it, has 2 wail tones, and 2 yelp tones. I thought the 249 was

2 Cylces of ramp

4 Cycles At peak

9 Cycles of fall

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
I believe Whelen introduced Y-249 (Yelp 249) as an option to specify a third siren tone that's compliant with California Title 13 regulations. Remember, it's not just the tone restriction to Wail and Yelp, T13 actually specifies the technical aspects of each tone. For a time period, one could order a Whelen siren with Wail, Yelp and Y-249 in order to have a T13-compliant package, whereas previously it was restricted to Wail and Yelp only.

Alternate Wail and Alternate Yelp, which are Whelen's version of the Unitrol tones, were introduced later. I believe they too are compliant for use in California. Regarding Simulated Mechanical, I believe that is NOT compliant for use in California; but I do not have confirmation of that.

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
Here is the list of available tones. Note: The RED ones are the only Title XIII tones. I gues I need to rename this thread! I guess it is called alternate wail.... OOOOOPS! :eek:

WAIL*

YELP*

PIERCER™

Y-249*

HI/LOW

SIMULATED MECHANICAL

PULSED AIRHORN

AIRHORN HI/LOW

ALTERNATE WAIL*

ALTERNATE YELP*

WARBLE

WHOOP

codemaster

Jun 23, 2012
mississippi
I like the y249

My siren is programed like this

Radio-hi pitch air horn

Man1-man

Man2-man peak and fall

Hf- wail yelp piercer

T1- alt wail (horn function) y249

T-2 piercer (airhorn)

T-3. Warble (whoop)

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I haven't heard the wail yet, but the yelp in the YouTube video makes a 'yow yow yow' kind of sound.

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
ford-dealer said:
Here is the list of available tones. Note: The RED ones are the only Title XIII tones. I gues I need to rename this thread! I guess it is called alternate wail.... OOOOOPS! :eek:

WAIL*

YELP*

PIERCER™

Y-249*

HI/LOW

SIMULATED MECHANICAL

PULSED AIRHORN

AIRHORN HI/LOW

ALTERNATE WAIL*

ALTERNATE YELP*

WARBLE

WHOOP

I am familiar with those, I have them set up in my 295SL100. I have regular wail on T1, and regular yelp on T2. When I press the manual button, while T1 is activated, it changes to alternate wail, same for T2, changes it to alternate yelp. To me, and I know some will agree with me on this, it sounds very much similar to Unitrol TouchMaster/TouchMaster Delta wail and yelp tones.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Not a fan. The peak is too high and the whole tone sounds very synthetic. A Unitrol tone it ain't.

I still think Carson sirens have the best sounding wail out of any modern manufacturer.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
I programmed it in on 2 of my chiefs' cars that have it as an option as well as ramp-down manual.

Man 1: ramp down

Man 2: mechanical

T1: Alt. Wail/Warble override

T2: Alt Yelp/Hilo override

T3: Piercer/Mechanical override

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
I figured that's what you were talking about, but I wasn't sure. I don't hate it, it does a decent job of sounding like a Unitrol, but if I was going to do that, I'll just run a Unitrol, lol. Now, a Whelen SLS and Unitrol dual setup? OMG...

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
Rofocowboy84 said:
I figured that's what you were talking about, but I wasn't sure. I don't hate it, it does a decent job of sounding like a Unitrol, but if I was going to do that, I'll just run a Unitrol, lol. Now, a Whelen SLS and Unitrol dual setup? OMG...

It is the best I can do! LOL. I can't replace all of the sirens in all our cars! :hopeless:

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
ford-dealer said:
I have become a HUGE fan of the Cali Title XIII compliant ALT-WAIL Siren tone.... I love the LONG pitch cycle.... I have programmed it into all of the cars in our agency. We are running 295SLA6 units. Are there those that hate it?

I am not a huge fan of the alternate wail or yelp. It sounds like a cheap copy of the rich sound of a Unitrol siren.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.