Altering Galls XL100 Backlighting

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
So I am working on an old truck with a XL100 switchbox in it. The labels on it are the aftermarket totally clear labels on white tiles. They are lit by 2 clear halogen bulbs. The box is mounted on top of the dash. Needless to say this lights the cab a little too good at night. Is there anything I can do to change the backlight color or at least maybe dim it some :?:

For the time being I have disabled the backlighting but the driver says if I can change it I will be his BFF :lol:

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Incandescent backlights in switchboxes are often connected to the dashboard dimmer in the vehicle with no ill effects. This suggests to me that you could use a dimmer, a rheostat, a potentiometer, or even a plain old resistor to achieve the desired brightness.

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
I was surprise this box did not have a separate power wire for the backlighting(I could add one though) & was not fused. It was ran to the factory fuse panel using a fuse tap. I canT believe Galls ever sold any of these. They are just glorified switch panels. Each switch has a ground going to it but the switches do not illuminate. That's weird.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
I remember see something like that in the Galls catalog years ago. It was a knock off of a older switch box by FS, only FS's version had lighted switches and Gall's did not...

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
I had a Galls box given to me before with one of the bulbs burned out. Perfect amount of light...

Squad-6

May 21, 2010
N. GA
I had a Galls box given to me before with one of the bulbs burned out. Perfect amount of light...

That may be an option. I thinking about finding a sw300 parts box with the green halogen backlighting & tranplanting the bulb assembly.

trafficlear

Jun 6, 2010
Yorkshire, UK
If you find a stage lighting supplier they will be able to provide you with some lighting 'gels' or 'filters'. If you get a small piece it will only cost you a few dollars and it's generally ok to use in high temperature environments like around bulbs! Just fix it somewhere between the bulbs and the switches.

Best bit, no messing with electronics and you can have any colour you like from a selection of around 300! You can also buy glass paint from a craft store and paint the bulbs directly, though the high temp stuff again will be best for this.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.